Fessenheim, the nuclear power plant has 30 years!

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Fessenheim, the nuclear power plant has 30 years!

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 16:11

Release of the network Exit the Nuclear, to take therefore with some precautions of uses ..

Fessenheim nuclear power station: we passed the terminals! The 18 March 2008 marks the 30 years of operation of the No. 2 reactor

This Tuesday 18 March 2008, thirty years ago, the second reactor of the
Fessenheim nuclear power plant was commissioned.

Originally designed to last twenty years, according to the words of the engineers of the time, this reactor and its "brother" should never have been built:

- installed below the Grand Canal d'Alsace, the two nuclear reactors of Fessenheim are exposed to the risk of sudden breakage of the dyke. And the obstinate refusal of EDF to consider such a possibility will certainly not reduce the danger ...

- located on an active seismic fault, the Fessenheim power plant would not withstand an earthquake identical to the one which devastated the city of Basel in 1356: the "Sortir du nuclear" Network made public in June 2003 confidential documents from 'EDF, which showed that the IRSN (Institute for Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety) formally contested EDF's calculations.

More recently, a new Swiss expertise has shown that these are the very foundations of the original study that should be reviewed.

After 30 years of service, interrupted by repeated incidents, after hundreds of millions of euros spent on repairs and
maintenance, the balance of this reactor is particularly
eloquent:

- the last two years, during which this reactor was only available seven months a year, are among the eight worst years of operation since 30 years.
- in 2007, the reactor # 2 had to be stopped from October 18 to 30
December 2007, for refueling, but also for more than 6000 control and maintenance activities "(dixit EDF), activities which generated no less than 5 incidents and 7 cases of
radioactive contamination of the workers involved in these
operations.
- early 2008, after two and a half months of maintenance work, a pipe fastener dropped barely a week after restarting : 5 days off and a new incident when restarting the reactor.
- since the February 18, the reactor is again stopped because of
of a radioactive leak of the primary circuit ...
: Shock:

Over two and a half months in 2008, the 2 reactor will have operated less than half the time, with a shortfall of the order of 160 000 euros per day of failure: since January 1er, it is already more than five million euros have been lost.

No matter how hard EDF is to extend this reactor beyond any technical or financial logic, it is time to face the facts: after thirty years of breakdowns and various incidents, the
reactor No. 2 of the Fessenheim nuclear power plant has reached beyond its limits. Dangerous by nature, a nuclear reactor is even more so when it is aging.
It is a pity that EDF and the French authorities do not seize the crucial date of March 18, 2008 to permanently close this plant. If the worst happens, those "responsible" will be totally to blame.

It does not prevent, as an Alsatian we can also ask the question of the choice by EdF of Alsace to install the 1er nuclear nuclear reactor.

The Vosges barrier makes it a "natural border" for a possible radioactive cloud and thus isolates (partially) from the rest of France. Germany is not the problem of the French State ... and then the Alsatians are not really French ... it's sad to say but that's what many people still think in France ... : Evil:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 16:24

0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 18/03/08, 17:45

the balance of this reactor is particularly
eloquent:
the result is not a positive / negative balance of the 30 years but just a score of what could perhaps be supposed unpleasant: not very eloquent, therefore.

after hundreds of millions of euros spent on various repairs and maintenance ...

but also for more 6000 control and maintenance activities

uh, it's better not? Well, I say that, I say nothing because we're going to say that I'm gobbling up the Edfist propoganda.

(according to EDF)

Ah bin what did not I tell you?
Can we have something more specific? numbers, a report something tangible what? No ?

with a shortfall of the order of 160 000 euros per day of failure: since January 1er, it is already more than five million euros have been lost.

If 5 million were not entered, that does not mean that 5 millions have been lost. And I have no doubt that EDF knows perfectly how to plan and manage its production across its entire fleet to maximize its profits. We must stop trying to make the string vibrate "your purchasing power is declining while companies are throwing money out the window". And stop believing that "how much does it cost" reports are great journalism.

There you are, I have nothing in particular against "going out of nuclear power", but please stop being naive and make constructive proposals instead.
Last edited by Christine the 18 / 03 / 08, 17: 57, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 18/03/08, 17:52

In this respect, Christophe, you could not tell us some figures, like:

Assuming that nuclear power generation matches the needs, how much oil would it take to compensate for the closure of a plant like fessenheim? How many tons of CO2? How many kilometers of valleys flooded if we built a dam? How many small hatched birds by wind turbine blades? etc?
0 x
Christophe

Re: Fessenheim, the nuclear power plant is 30 years old!

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 17:55

Oh yes, Christine is called PROPAGANDE ... where my

Christophe wrote:so with some precautions of use ..

The worst is that it is 30 years that the anti nuclear spend a hallucinating energy for ... NOTHING AT ALL ...

If we counted all the money and energy (human and fossil) that was spent in 30 years by the anti nuclear well I think we could build some major renewable energy project ...

It does not prevent some things are true:

http://www.asn.fr/sections/infos-locale ... Fessenheim

Stop for refueling Reactor No. 2 at the Fessenheim Nuclear Power Plant (Alsace)

http://www.asn.fr/sections/rubriquespri ... stible6238

Small reminders:

a) https://www.econologie.com/europe-emissi ... -3722.html

b) nuclear power currently kills 1000 times less than gas, oil or coal ...
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 18/03/08, 18:08

The worst is that it is 30 years that the anti nuclear spend a hallucinating energy for ... NOTHING AT ALL ...

If I were cynical, I would say for ... wind: build wind turbines!

Otherwise, of course all is not wrong and their fights are not totally unjustified. If I read their texts with a critical eye, I also do it for other more "official" information.

But as you said, it's such wasted human energy. In the 70 / 80 years, perhaps if they had succeeded in abandoning nuclear projects for the benefit of alternative energies ... but this is not the case and today we have no choice. This fight is from the past. The battle today must be on energy saving and the establishment of alternative sources ... and nuclear power plants are the key to support a smooth transition.
Last edited by Christine the 18 / 03 / 08, 18: 11, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 18:11

Toutafé agree with the end ... so I put it in bold! :)

Rahh what are we good about econology anyway ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 18/03/08, 20:41

Youpi! a birthday !!!

I will only remember one thing:
Designed to last twenty years [...] thirty years ago

It speaks for itself.

This reminds me of the report on the alarming state of the EDF dams which we have heard more about: http://www.maire-info.com/article.asp?P ... param=8012

I go to METRO to buy a snorkel, fins, a Geiger counter.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 18/03/08, 20:51

I am a little surprised by this "30 years, the first French CN".
I remember that when I was passionate about all these things, there is actually 38 years, we built Saint Laurent des Eaux and that 33 years ago, ACEC had already sold the equipment of the power plants of Doel (Antwerp) and Tihange (Huy)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 22:59

Ben again: Belgium was the test bench of France ...
Oops I said nothing ... : Oops:

It takes several years between the delivery of the material and the "1st divergence" and a few more months to put into production ...

We should find the info and dates easily on the net ...
0 x