Oil and GDP per country: energy intensity

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Oil and GDP per country: energy intensity

by Christophe » 17/03/08, 13:11

Some economic and environmental figures of some countries, just to put the ideas in place. All these figures come from the CIA factbook freely available here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... index.html

a) GDP ranking: https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 1rank.html

(b) Classification of oil consumption:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 4rank.html

I'm going to make a nice excel file soon but here's what we can already conclude just with these 2 figures.

Energy consumption (oil only) in barrels per day (figures from 2005-2006):

a) USA: 20,800,000
b) China: 6,930,000 (3 times less than the USA)
c) India: 2,438,000 (8,5 times less than the USA)
d) France: 1,999,000 (10 times less than the USA)
e) World: 80,290,000
f) EU: 14,570,000

Energy intensity on oil (= created GDP / oil consumption):

And here's a big surprise: India and China as energy efficient as Europe! India is even better placed than France!

This is due to at least these 2 factors:
a) Hi Tech delocalization in India (message for those say that the Internet, and IT is shit for the environment ...).
b) still very cheap labor (the lower the labor force, the higher the GDP, the sum of the ADDED VALUE) is doped. In other words: for the same sale price, a product that has cost less to manufacture will create MORE GDP.

Should do the same with Coal ... and nuclear and gas ... etc etc ...
Last edited by Christophe the 16 / 06 / 08, 14: 12, 2 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 17/03/08, 15:26

Very interesting indeed ...

France is well placed, probably because of "its tertiarisaton" presented as an economic panacea when it is only the translation of an industrial collapse.

Perhaps also nuclear energy plays in favor of France for its energy intensity.

And always the USA the big wankers. Of course a 4 4 8X3 2 tons to bring 20 minions of 2 kg and the big inflated mama to hamburgere at school XNUMX times a day, it consumes.

Good I stop there the bitter irony : Lol:
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 17/03/08, 15:36

This is true :D
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/08, 15:45

Well it depends, I do not find that on oil, France is so well placed ... quite the contrary since India is better.

Now we should do the same thing on electricity and coal.

I think that France will be better than India (central more modern home ... well ...) ...

I'm on something else but as soon as I find a moment I'll do it ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 17/03/08, 16:10

And France is still second, and not far behind India and neck to neck with China.

2 countries that have millions of free arms working with a bowl of rice and a small chicken leg on Sunday. Oil point in there ...

While with us, public assistance income for a quidam represents 100 Indian wages. And the handles of shovels and picks have hurt your hands for a long time. An excavator 100 CV otherwise nothing!

So finally, we limit the "ecological breakage" compared to your histogram.

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/08, 16:13

Hey, do not go too fast! France is 2ieme in the few countries that I chose ... that's all ...

For example: I think Japan or Taiwan are in front of India ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 17/03/08, 17:55

OK Christophe,

We will even find rankings where France is last ... it's not hard : Cheesy:

For example, in the production of radioactive waste :P
0 x
Hydraxon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Hydraxon » 17/03/08, 23:42

Yeah, the World Factbook does not have a line giving the total energy conso by country. On the other hand, I have already read the comparisons of the wealth produced per ton of CO2 emitted, the USA beats the poor countries by a factor 10, the Europeans beat the Americans by a factor 2.

And there is not even a line on coal.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 15:53

Ah yes well seen, I had never noticed the "lack" of coal ...very surprising but ultimately may not be that much: given the important American domestic resources it may not be considered a sensitive resource by the CIA ... so they do not care? Now it is still more sensitive than the rate of unemployment of Afghanistan or the number of mobile phone in Albania no? : Shock:

But that's a shame for our analyzes!

Hydraxon, I think your numbers are wrong, look at India is almost 2 times better than the US on oil ... I can not see how other energy could reverse the trend of a factor of 20! Now India may no longer be considered a poor country.

In poor countries you also have to see what is being counted and what is not ... GDP in Africa is a very vague notion. Let's not forget that the GDP only takes into account declared trade...

One way to find total primary energy consumption in kWh by country would be to convert and add: oil + gas + (electricity - estimated hydropower) * 2.8
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Oil and GDP by country: energy intensity

by Philippe Schutt » 18/05/08, 20:13

Christophe wrote:This is due to at least these 2 factors:
at) ....
b) still very cheap labor (the lower the labor force, the higher the GDP, the sum of the ADDED VALUE) is doped. In other words: for the same sale price, a product that has cost less to manufacture will create MORE GDP.

Value Added also includes manpower. For the same sale price if you want to increase the added value you can only act on purchases.
In addition, India sells cheaper than us, which would handicap rather.

I think Remundo is closer to the truth, namely:
1. in France we replace human labor with engines
2. we are burning a lot of gas for unproductive activities
0 x