Sell ​​electricity to neighbors: what does the law say?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Sell ​​electricity to neighbors: what does the law say?

by chatelot16 » 08/12/07, 11:40

Hello

I just quoted an idea in another subject but but I prefer to open a new one so as not to mix everything

what interests me in liberalization is real freedom: if I want to do big cogeneration, and I want to sell heat and electricity directly to my neighbors: is this currently allowed?

other case where the sale of electricity is interesting: for new construction a little isolated: the installation of new lines 220/380 by edf is very expensive, the installation of a transformer is even more expensive: there is a method more modern and more economical by high voltage direct current link and inverters

when we talk about liberalization of electricity: we think of several operators on the same network: what I find eccentric

where is the real freedom?

please
0 x
Christophe

Re: Selling electricity to your neighbors: what does the law say?

by Christophe » 08/12/07, 11:57

chatelot16 wrote:that I want to sell heat and electricity directly to my neighbors: is this currently allowed?

I do not know the exact legal texts but here is what I have always heard.

EdF still has a monopoly on the "transport" (even if it is not EDF directly but one of its "RTE" subsidiaries) of electricity. So you cannot sell electricity to your neighbors without going through EdF ... and therefore losing their "margin" in the process ... and even imagining pulling your own cables (therefore not using their "pipe") you will also be outlawed.

For the heat it is different, I believe that there is nothing in the text of the law on this subject, but it is extremely expensive (with the installation) to transport the heat on more than a few tens of meters. ..

chatelot16 wrote:where is the real freedom?

With EdF there is none ... it's just wind, a bit like in their advertising spots with renewable energies. You are therefore "obliged" to go through edf. But sometimes it is profitable to go through them but you have to have strong backs the first years ...
0 x
Cedouimsss
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Cedouimsss » 08/12/07, 12:18

The text to buy electricity does not come from EDF but from the official journal of the republic, which means that it is not only EDF that buys electricity.

Someone who is not with EDF will be bought electricity as well as someone who is with EDF, except that there will be less paperwork.
0 x
"If you understood everything a salesperson told you, it must have been a mistake somewhere."
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/12/07, 12:20

Except that Edf has always had a monopoly on transport ... or has that changed recently?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/12/07, 23:08

it is a matter of principle: either the state operates edf as a public service which guarantees the same price to everyone or we liberalize

freedom is not only being able to choose between the big companies that are going to eat us raw as with the telephone: it is that anyone must be able to sell as much electricity as they can sell

to make a small wind and cogeneration solar network, you need battery storage: the batteries do not have a very good performance: but the administrative costs of EDF are worse than the energy lost by batteries

technically edf should do better than drums; but it's a bit like the sncf which technically should be cheaper than the road and which practically is too expensive
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"