ALSTOM knows how to make clean coal plants

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

ALSTOM knows how to make clean coal plants

by jean63 » 16/03/07, 09:29

What do you think ? I thought it was not to the point :!:

Are CO2 emissions completely eliminated with this system?

ALSTOM: its clean coal is successful

the 15.03.2007

(FOA) - Alstom and American Electric Power (AEP) signed a memorandum of understanding for the commercialization in 2011 of the CO2 capture process based on refrigerated ammonia for units up to 200 MW. The project will have two phases. Initially, Alstom and AEP will jointly develop a 30 MWth power plant for commercial validation of the project. For the second phase, Alstom will be responsible for the design, construction and commissioning of a CO2 capture system at a coal-fired thermal power plant located in Oologah (Oklahoma).
The process of CO2 capture by post-combustion developed by Alstom uses refrigerated ammonia. According to the group, "this system dramatically reduces the amount of energy required to capture carbon dioxide by keeping it in a very concentrated form and at very high pressure."

Philippe Joubert, President of Alstom Power Systems, said: "We are particularly proud that AEP has chosen Alstom's" clean coal "technology for a project of this importance. Our partnership with AEP will lead to the production of the world's first industrial-scale clean coal power plant, the technology of which will be applicable to both new and existing plants".
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 16/03/07, 09:50

Bof, I would believe it when I saw side by side, for a standard central and a "clean" central:
  • juice production figures per tonne of burnt coal,
  • and CO2 production figures per tonne of burnt coal

Also, if someone with better chemistry than me could tell me what it looks like when you mix ammonia with CO2, I would be interested.
Because this is always the problem with chemical transformations: there are resulting products. If their system produces 1/2 hydrochloric acid per tonne of coal, the car battery manufacturers will be happy. : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 16/03/07, 10:26

I had heard in fact that clean coal technologies have already been the subject of research some time ago as part of the study on the use of coal in the "south" of France.

Voila voila, that's all I know.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/03/07, 10:27

I don't know where you are going to get your hydrochloric acid ....

well, then .... how much energy is spent to cool the ammonia gas?
we store C02 and then what do we do with it? bubbles to put in Perrier? or are we getting into the fire extinguisher business?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
maziere00

by maziere00 » 16/03/07, 10:41

Coal and clean it does not go too well together ...

I'm still waiting for a background report!
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 16/03/07, 14:18

elephant wrote:I don't know where you are going to get your hydrochloric acid ....

It was an example of a product induced by a chemical reaction, I wrote above that I did not know what it could give CO2 + ammonia (NH3).

However, I just found this on Wikipedia:

we can therefore imagine that if we add hydrogen, we can get the opposite reaction.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
ThierrySan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by ThierrySan » 16/03/07, 14:51

0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 16/03/07, 15:27

Ask Philippe Joubert, President of Alstom Power Systems, it must be possible by going to the Alstom site, but surely SECRET !!!

What amazes me is that in the recent show "C dans l'air" of FR5 which I spoke about (see post), those present said that clean coal is not to be done or so " very expensive ", or 100 euros / tonne, which would multiply the price of the electricity produced by 3 ==> that's where it is ==>

https://www.econologie.com/forums/c-dans-l-a ... t3280.html
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
fviolain
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by fviolain » 17/12/07, 17:38

another possibility for NH3 and CO2: NH2COOH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbamic_acid
but it's unstable
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 17/12/07, 18:50

Bonjour à tous

In nature, CO2 is also trapped in the form of calcium carbonate in calcite, shells, etc. On a time scale, the quantities stored under the sea and on land are phenomenal.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonate_de_calcium

Can we make a profitable "industrial" equivalent? : Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132