Oil sands in Canada: the US wants them ...

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Oil sands in Canada: the US wants them ...

by Christophe » 18/01/07, 17:57

The accelerated development of the Alberta oil sands is said to be directly related to the pressing oil needs of the Americans.

In the aftermath of the Harper government election last January, the heads of the American oil industry met in Houston, Texas, with the leaders of the major oil sands projects in Alberta. to take stock of the situation.

The report of the meeting, of which Zone Libre obtained a copy, recommends "to multiply by five the production of the oil sands over a relatively short period".

The United States wants to end its dependence on oil from the Middle East. In his State of the Union address a year ago, President George W. Bush deplored this dependence and proposed to cut oil imports from the region by three-quarters.

But with a production of a million barrels a day, Canada is already the main exporter of oil to the United States. Increasing production to five million barrels per day would be equivalent to a quarter of American consumption and almost half of its total imports.

The projections in the document are also double those officially announced by Canadian industry. According to the document, they will require new refineries and new pipelines to transport Alberta crude as far as California and south Texas.

Having read the document, the environmental group Greenpeace says it is very surprised. "I have never heard in Canada of an increase up to five million barrels per day," says Steven Guilbeault, general manager of Greenpeace Quebec. Recall that with its current production of one million barrels per day, oil from the oil sands is also already the main source of increase in greenhouse gases in Canada.

Greenpeace is all the more concerned that the document, which is co-produced by the Canadian Department of Natural Resources, recommends that the Canadian and Alberta governments simplify the environmental approval process for energy projects.

"That a department of the Canadian government in a document writes that we must do that is still incredible," judges Mr. Guilbeault.

The full Free Zone survey will be presented Friday evening.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Na ... -Can.shtml

Do you understand now what Bush meant by independence in his famous speech? Nothing to do with any reduction in consumption ...
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 18/01/07, 20:56

Hello
Do you understand now what Bush meant by independence in his famous speech? Nothing to do with any reduction in consumption

And why he is starting the construction of two large hydroelectric dams in northern Quebec this year mainly for export to the south .. (although this is cleaner, it's just the use that bothers me, do walk an aluminum smelter in the USA and we other be on unemployment)
For the tar sands I told you about it last year but nobody turned on. It’s true, it’s far away for you!
the petroleum reserve is larger than that of Saudi Arabia. It has been known for a long time, except that the extraction or rather the separation of oil and sand was more expensive than going to get it in the Middle East, but with the rise in the price of the barrel and new technologies it becomes profitable, but at what ecological price it is mainly this extraction that places Canada like a big bad guy.
It takes a lot of water, lots of contaminated sand and heat energy, to separate the brute from the sand
What you do not know the melting of the northern ice will open the seaway and so there are several mineral and petroleum deposits that will be made, a good part of the uranium that nuclear power plants burn in the world come from northern Canada.
As Napoleon said (for a few acres of snow) if he had known.
Currently the Prime Minister is originally from the west, he is pro petrol, but as he is in a minority government probably this year in the fall he will be overthrown
but financially his political part is the richest vis-à-vis the other part therefore a lot of money for the advertising companions and electoral companion, he risks being elected
in addition he is the man of choice of Goerges. In america when the population of a satelite country does not vote for the favored candidate of the white house there is a subtle financial retaliation devaluation of the rating of the government = increase in government debt (interest rising this made overnight on a simple pencil stroke an increase in the debt of some billion = increase in the tax burden to the population which voted badly according to the thinking heads of the south.
in south america they are more drastic it favors the establishment of a dictator and all returns to order (Pinochet is one example)
He was never condemned for his crimes that must surely exceed 150 ...
It strangely resembles the sight of Cowboys in the city the mayor was sheriff, judge, notary, he had the general store and the Saloon ..

With all that I write I believe that it will be impossible for me to cross the border (Uh the electronic iron curtain) to make our neighbor to the south visit it is called free trade!

I'll go on vacation in the north with the bears, it's just as beautiful.

After electricity, oil, wood, there is only water to siphon to feed our neighbors, anyway we live in a country that does not belong to us, all the capital and industries come mainly from the USA we are a tenant, and everything about the master card, Amercan express.

Lately following a directive from the American security department 24 employees who worked at Bel Hélicopter In Canada those who had a double nationality of the emigrants who became candien, even for a long time no longer have the right to work on spots which affects these planes, at the last news I don't know if they were recycled on the broom or on the snow shovel before putting them outside (they only had to unionize when it was time)
And long live the company !!

Andre
Last edited by Other the 19 / 01 / 07, 04: 32, 1 edited once.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/01/07, 21:49

Andrew wrote:
For the tar sands I told you about it last year but nobody turned on

If I may not have seen your post but I am very aware of these oil shales; there have been several reports on TV including a program called Thalassa (the sea program) and other documentaries on FRANCE5 or ARTE.
it pollutes a lot to exploit these shales, but now it becomes profitable at the current price of a barrel and especially with the problems that the USA have with the countries of the Middle East.

Andre : if I understand correctly the ricans are colonizing you (with their dollar they order the whole world by blackmail ..... but how long will it last?). The greatest civilizations have ALL collapsed and disappeared.

Whether it is the USA or the Russians, when the permafrost is going to melt, they will rush into the unexplored areas of the far North to get oil and gas + minerals.

I no longer dream of responsible humanity. I think it's fucked up, they'll loot the Earth to the last drop of whatever resources.

To give you an idea of ​​wealth in the USA, here is the exact text I receive from a niece who is commercial and sells Swiss luxury watches to the wealthy of this world (she has just returned from New York):
My watch sales are doing well, indeed luxury watchmaking is booming, but I have nothing to do with it, without me, they would still sell. And you're right, the rich are getting richer, in the US for example the wealthiest population has seen their fortune multiply by 10 !!! and indeed Russia and China are on the rise ...

We can clearly see the aberration of this globalized system: go by plane to New York 2 days to sell watches and return: a return trip from a Paris-New-York plane is 3 tonnes of CO2 (for the plane, but who cares if it is full or empty, anyway what matters is the quantity that goes into the atmosphere that counts and that we cannot buy it at the CO2 market, once it's gone it's too late: dixit Jancovici in a TV program on FR2 "Crosswords" on Tuesday evening I believe, a month or two ago).

After that how do you want everything to stop; these rich people have no qualms about the health of the Earth; their only "worry" is what to buy more beautiful and more expensive tomorrow.

This is confirmed in Hervé KEMPF's book "How the rich destroy the planet".

Unless the Earth has taken revenge before ........ or that man has precipitated humanity into chaos by nuclear (there is news for Iran = 3000 centrifuges, El Baradei announced this evening that in 3 years the Iranians have the bomb). He says he sees no solution to prevent this infernal race.

It was he who warned Bush and the UN that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq; there he says the opposite for Iran.

Question: what will Bush do? attack or not?

But what would Al Gore have done in his place? I ask myself the question (isn't his film a diversionary maneuver to get a Democrat elected in the next elections?).

It'll be hot!!!. : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
Last edited by jean63 the 18 / 01 / 07, 23: 55, 1 edited once.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/01/07, 23:51

Reread the previous post well, I added a lot of interesting lines.

Poor humanity, it runs towards self-destruction.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 19/01/07, 01:00

What state of the USA, Canada already? The 52nd? : roll:

Agree with you André, and even for water, it seems to me that your "neighbor" is eyeing a lot of common resources or even directly at home ...

Jean, are you stuck on your rich? Are you making a fixette? : Lol:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Other

by Other » 19/01/07, 02:16

Hello
The satellite countries belong to them in their own right, as soon as we elect a (small) provincial government that talks about nationalizing we become communists, the Canadian government does not even have the courage to pass a labeling law to identify GM products may displease Americans! (it will cost too much what is it to program the machine that prints, (we managed to force them to label all the products in French, again we passed for racists) it's very simple they lost control on the food products that come from the south, now he tells us that the Florida oranges have frozen and that they will double, (we will continue to eat our local apples.)
there would be 70% of GMO product on the shelves.
Band of colonized, fearful, we will remain for a long time the white negroes of America of the water carriers.
To be so few to have natural wealth and to have unemployment and social assistance,
How to make our children aware of this while they are caught looking for work, being fired, there is no longer any stable work, at least a youngster cannot hope to spend his life in the same place, in the same job, even more among civil servants.

For Jean you know there will always be rich people, ask yourself the question if some poor people suddenly acceded to this rank how they would behave in front of those around them, you just have to look at what I call upstarts, petty bourgeois with a few possessions, for you the one who drives a 4x4 V8 6,5 liter with spots on the roof of the chrome bars of protection and exhaust pipes which goes up along the cabin, he wants to crush everything and looks at everything world as less than nothing, and those there are ready to take the place of the very rich. When they enter the hospital they want to go before everyone else, when they are lying on the operating table they are no longer just in the same boat as the tramp next door.
As you see it was the great dilemma of Robespierre in his cleaning of the rich when he realized that a layer of ordinary citizen we put on the shoes of the rich, they were even worse than the nobles he had just decided, and c are those upstarts who cut his neck..The same thing happened in Russia .. look a little at the Russian revolution that happened to the sailors, some managed to save themselves on the ice, all the others shot, after having served as body and soul of the revolution.
It will be fine when we have a social government freed from the international economic machine of the big financiers who decide overnight that a government sees its debt double. a government that has both hands tied by a dozen very rich multinationals, without name, without heart, without morality, without homeland, $$$ they control the world, that one elects whoever it is, those who draw the strings are in place.
We call this democracy in a civilized country.

Andre
0 x
Exceed
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Exceed » 19/01/07, 17:49

Woodcutter wrote:

Jean, are you stuck on your rich? Are you making a fixette? : Lol:

Good boy !!! You haven't seen where it comes from .... it's an Auvergne !!!! Damn ... : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

A + Serge.
0 x
Respect !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/01/07, 18:41

jean63 wrote:This is confirmed in Hervé KEMPF's book "How the rich destroy the planet".

uh you are part of the rich my dear. because if you have time to spend on the net behind a pc you are already richer than 90% of humanity ...

If the thesis of this book was to shoot the "very rich" well it is worth nothing at all sorry ... the mass of "less rich" (of which probably all econologists are part) but not "poor enough" pollutes Much more...
0 x
jlvx
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jlvx » 19/01/07, 21:38

When I took a tour in Quebec, a few years ago, our guide told us about "our shark friends".
He was already explaining to us that they were eyeing the fresh water reserves of you "white niggers from the North", even buying several lakes (and there are some ...)
Regarding the oil sands etc ... when we talk about potential reserves equal to those of Saudi Arabia, I refer you to scare you to Eric Laurent's book on the lies of oil, it's cold in the back.
According to him, and he is not the only one to say it, the reserves announced either by the companies or by the producing countries are nonsense, and most often close to double the "economically " : Mrgreen: usable.
He even says that the so-called almost inexhaustible reserves of Saudi Arabia, it is a pipe, it would already be in "peak oil", or very close.
He recalls that this is the only raw material that will be completely exhausted in a little over a century, and that our dependence on this "devil's shit" is absolutely incredible (it's not just transport, far of the)
Finally some descriptions which would be tasty, if they were not cold in the back of corrupt rulers, speculators, crooked blows etc because of the oil.

As for the Americans, as long as they put into practice "the American way of life is not negotiable", that is to say "I'm fat, stupid, I pollute, I waste and I get you ..." (well by little of things near) ", we did not leave the hostel (and again let's be honest our speeches or our behavior to us zeuropeans are not far away, not to mention our" emerging "friends from the BRIC, there is no that they don't try to copy these invert models.
Good news, by dint of accelerating the depletion of oil, we will be able to tackle substitutes more and more quickly (biodiesel by micro algae that suck CO2, bio fuels on the use of the whole plant / biomass, green plastics, fertilizer by recycling wastewater, paints and "green" chemicals) ... and the "Negawatt" attitude (behavioral changes + energy efficiency) :P :P :P
Bad news: to get there some "slight" risks of conflict (E laurent is betting on a China / USA war, it promises :| )
and with that, sleep in peace, good people
0 x
Other

by Other » 19/01/07, 22:19

Hello
even buying several lakes (and there are ...)

No no individual can buy a lake even less a foreigner
the method he buys a cut of wood from the government and makes paths over long distances sometimes several hundreds of km and the path belongs to them he puts fences and controls the access it is enough with 4 wheels to bypass is voila ..
or that's why some take small seaplanes and we access all the Lakes which are still government property
as well as some bank around ..

Andre
0 x