Nuclear waste

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
innuend0
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Nuclear waste

by innuend0 » 07/10/06, 16:50

Hello everybody,

I wish we debated the management of nuclear waste in France, your opinion on it. It's good ? It's bad ? etc ... (with arguments of course)

Try to remain very explanatory, everyone does not know the problem and the current state of affairs (including me)

At the same time, I wanted to have your opinion on this:
http://www.andra.fr/interne.php3?id_rubrique=85

Personally, I was a little surprised by the course of action described there ... and you?
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 07/10/06, 20:27

1. For a true transparency, all this research should be paid by EDF, which would pass on the price of kwh.
2. We have here a source of energy which, if it is no longer strong enough for power plants, would be enough for boiler houses. However, we never talk about storage, never use. At the very least, we could have a demonstration of the impossibility of doing anything else with this waste.
0 x
lug
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

nuclear waste opinions, info and ideas

by lug » 28/10/06, 16:37

the problem of nuclear waste is the life of the elements produced by the plants, I am not far from the hague
and an independent laboratory often giving results different from the official results can be found at herouville st clair (calvados)
about 30000 years for uranium to decompose, the most dangerous is still the plutonium 239; think of plutonium 240 that is also found (as by chance (large anti-tobacco campaigns but not without reason)) in the smoke of cigarettes because this poison is fixed on plants (nuclear explosions atmospheric ........ known to general public and ..... unknown) and destroys many compounds of the DNA (cancers) or provokes mutations
in my opinion, we could use nuclear waste by trying to reprocess it to make it less dangerous and use it to generate heat

an insane idea comes to mind: let's bury them or destroy them at the oil producers

for boiler rooms, for my part, I would prefer to use hydrogen (there are methods for generating heat from hydrogen: it is sufficient to burn it in the presence of oxygen in a closed hermetic environment: as in the cylinder of an engine to recover energy in the form of heat

what is most important is to definitively cease the use of nuclear fuels by reprocessing these wastes as explained below and to begin to decontaminate the already existing sites to leave the clean place for our children.

For my part, I prefer to pay to EDF clean electricity or generate it myself (wind turbines coupled to a hydro generator, these are ideas)

For the reprocessing of the nuclear waste, another company in the USA other than the cogema
we do not talk about
Http: //www.nuclearsolutions.com
and the iter process (of which we rebath the ears)
which should allow to recycle nuclear materials

lug
0 x
for our children, let them cleaner air and land without waste
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 28/10/06, 23:52

www.nuclearsolutions.com link did not work ...
if nuclear waste could only heat us painters for 30000 years !!!
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: nuclear waste opinions, info and ideas

by gegyx » 29/10/06, 00:30

lug wrote:about 30000 years for uranium to decompose ...
we could use nuclear waste ...
a crazy idea comes to mind: let's bury them or destroy them at the oil producers ....
For the reprocessing of the nuclear waste, another company in the USA ... about which we speak little

Forgive me for these treacherous shortcuts, but it's also uranium (not the impoverished), found in some Israeli bombs (= Yankee) in Lebanese territory (also in Gaza). .
: Arrow: or we "recycle" waste, or we test new weapons, before attacking Iran, which dares, brazenly, to want to enrich its civil uranium!
Still soil stained irretrievably ...
: Evil:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/13, 15:14

Marine Map of Nuclear Waste:

Radioactive waste was deliberately dumped in about fifty marine sites listed on this map. But it is mainly the North Atlantic that has served as a trash can to states.

We have little data on marine accidents involving nuclear material, which is a military secret. Nevertheless, here is the list of those just listed - for the first time - the IAEA, with all the remaining inaccuracies about the quantities of radioactivity released, the precise location and sometimes even the name of the sunken submarine.

0 x
innuend0
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Nuclear waste

by innuend0 » 26/03/13, 20:35

innuend0 wrote:Hello everybody,

I wish we debated the management of nuclear waste in France, your opinion on it. It's good ? It's bad ? etc ... (with arguments of course)

Try to remain very explanatory, everyone does not know the problem and the current state of affairs (including me)

At the same time, I wanted to have your opinion on this:
http://www.andra.fr/interne.php3?id_rubrique=85

Personally, I was a little surprised by the course of action described there ... and you?

Update link:
http://web.archive.org/web/200811191939 ... ubrique=85

Hello Christophe.
Interesting this card. Would you have a link to the source, and a picture in better quality?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 15/11/15, 14:08

Finland to dig world's first 'eternal' nuclear waste repository

AFP 12 November 2015

Finland on Thursday gave the green light to the construction of the world's first "eternal" nuclear waste storage site, which is supposed to keep its spent fuel for 100.000 years.

The site will be developed in the medium-depth laboratory operated by Posiva, the Finnish nuclear waste management company.

In a statement, the government announced that it had "granted Posiva a license to build a used nuclear fuel processing unit and storage space" on the Olkiluoto site (southwest) where the French Areva is building the future reactor EPR of the Finnish electrician TVO.

This immense "cellar" dug into the granite will be the first site in the world for the permanent burial of high-level nuclear waste (HA) in a deep geological layer.

Diving at 400-450 meters below the earth's surface, its tunnels hosting copper silos covered with a layer of copper, will be sealed with bentonite, little indurated clay (very little permeable and flexible).

http://www.connaissancedesenergies.org/ ... e-151112-0
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/11/15, 14:47

will remain to calculate how much will cost such storage during 100'000 years (periodic checks, polls in hostile environments, replacement of radioactivity sensors, monitoring of the site, security agents, maintenance, in short all administrative and operating expenses, etc. ).

And then add that to the cost of kW.h :|
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/11/15, 14:55

100 000 years is eternity? Ah bin bravo ...

How would this technique be different from German and French burying?
0 x