Energy liberalization: the false good idea?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Energy liberalization: the false good idea?

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 12:21

I am taking advantage of a UFC statement to launch a debate on energy liberalization.

While the "free" market (unregulated prices) is already open to professionals, the UFC Que Choose publishes a distressing press release for new operators ...

Énergies bill: The consumer trap

While all the attention is focused on the SUEZ / GDF merger, the UFC-Que Choisir denounces the real trap set for consumers in the bill.

From the 1 July 2007, any consumer of electricity and / or gas who has chosen to engage with a supplier on the market where prices are free will no longer be able to benefit from the regulated tariff for gas or gas. electricity except when moving.

The government intends to lock up the consumer and make it the guinea pig of the reform because he knows, as analysts of the sector, that price slippage is more than likely in the medium term.

In the next 5 years, these markets will be open to competition in the law but certainly not in reality!

On the contrary, EDF and GDF do not have to fear competition and will be free to take advantage of their dominant position because:

1- The export capacity of other European countries is weak or non-existent,

2- Electricity and gas interconnection networks are already saturated, limiting the possibilities of exports,

3- The few potentially competing companies charge prices in their respective markets which are not very competitive, ie higher than those of EDF or GDF on the French market.

Consumers do not want to live the bitter experience of some companies that have chosen to subscribe to an offer on the unregulated market that has experienced an increase in their 73% electric bills in less than two years, without being able to "backtrack".

The current text will also and consequently create an unacceptable unequal treatment between consumers benefiting from the regulated tariff and those permanently locked in markets (gas and electricity) with high inflation risk.

For UFC-Que Choisir, as long as the conditions for real competition are not met, the government must allow consumers to benefit from the regulated tariff at any time.
Last edited by Christophe the 07 / 11 / 06, 10: 34, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 12:32

Here are the "free" operators that I know:

1) For Belgium:

Citypower: http://www.citypower.be/fr/citypower_home.htm
Essent: http://www.essent.be/maison/
SPE: http://www.spe.be/Index-fr.cfm
Lampiris: http://www.lampiris.be/home.html

The 4 offer "green" electricity offers but is this electricity really green because selling renewable, in some cases, cheaper (at least on paper) than the nuclear operator Electrabel (subsidiary of Suez in fact) is not at all credible (at least from an econologist point of view).

2) For France:

1) Direct-Energy: http://www.direct-energie.com/ (Offer green electricity: http://www.direct-energie.com/offre_energie_purjus.php )
2) Enercoop: http://www.enercoop.fr/

A special mention for Enercoop that seems the most credible in providing green energy in really (see their partners: http://www.enercoop.ouvaton.org/societaires.php ) ... Now how real costs ( http://www.enercoop.fr/images/files/tar ... ercoop.pdf ) And for which reliable sourcing?
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 10/09/06, 19:09

I do not know what will be for consumers in July 2007, but I want to point out that this article is not valid for the current situation in the market accessible to professionals:

On gas and electricity, unregulated tariffs remain generally lower than those of EDF / GDF.

Moreover, the fact for individuals to go elsewhere that would force to abandon the regulated tariff, I have doubts because for companies, many operators offer both regulated and non-regulated tariffs. And frankly ... if it's to stay at the regulated price, what's the point of changing the supplier?

I think the UFC is going a bit quick ...
And, frankly, if unregulated prices were to climb, would it not just be a return to reality, where we will pay for energy at its true price? I think it's pretty good.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/09/06, 20:20

Other fairly recent threads on the same subject: 1 Thread et 2 Thread

Maybe we could merge them? If it's technically possible ....
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 21:08

Rulian wrote:On gas and electricity, unregulated tariffs remain generally lower than those of EDF / GDF.

Source?

Rulian wrote:... many operators offer both regulated and non-regulated tariffs. And frankly ... if it's to stay at the regulated price, what's the point of changing the supplier?

I think that going to see another operator implies precisely to move to deregulation so I do not really understand your remark ... the fact is that the alternative operator give their best rates ... well I think that it works like this ...

Regulation, by definition, is the state control of tariffs ... when we move to a non-public operator the state has nothing more to say ... where worries ...

Rulian wrote:... would it not just be a return to reality, where we will pay for energy at its true price? I think it's pretty good.

Paying green energy at the right price, but paying nuclear or coal at the price of renewable energy is limiting the development of its last ... I'm wrong? So as much sign all at enercoop ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 21:27

Targol wrote:Other fairly recent threads on the same subject: 1 Thread et 2 Thread

Maybe we could merge them? If it's technically possible ....

No it is not possible technically ... on the other hand we can lock some and redirect to other ...

Nevertheless, for me, the GDF-Suez merger has to be seen only very far with the opening of the market to the competition ... because when the employees Gdf will no longer be civil servant (at least in the head) it is not tomorrow the day before ...

Finally: let them deregulate and "fuck" the consumer quietly ... It will come only faster to econology :D

And as our dear technocrats will never control the solar or the wood ... you follow my thought? :)
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/09/06, 21:53

Christophe wrote:Nevertheless, for me, the merger GDF-Suez has to see only very far with the opening of the market to the competition ...

In fact, I may have chosen the wrong title, but it is rather a very particular part of the bill associated with this merger, which deals precisely with the results of this deregulation.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 21:59

Targol wrote:In fact, I may have chosen the wrong title, but it is rather a very particular part of the bill associated with this merger, which deals precisely with the results of this deregulation.

Yes I read in detail after reading the title and write my message (not good I know) so I locked the subject 2 in question and redirected to the subject that was already more ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 10/09/06, 23:44

Christophe wrote:
Rulian wrote:On gas and electricity, unregulated tariffs remain generally lower than those of EDF / GDF.

Source?

Er, how do you say ... you're going to kill me ... I wanted to talk to you about it but I did not get you on msn ... I have a taf, finally. 8)
And it is a box that makes the energy diagnosis and advice on purchasing energy. So the summary documents on the market offers, I read them because it is a working tool. (All you have to do is look up the price schedules of the different suppliers.) When to Enercoop : Cheesy: it turns out to be average prices.

Christophe wrote:I think that going to see another operator implies precisely to move to deregulation so I do not really understand your remark ... the fact is that the alternative operator give their best rates ... well I think that it works like this ...
I agree with you, changing operator to stay at the regulated rate has no interest other than to eventually change the prices of ancillary services. But I believe that some new operators offer contracts at the regulated tariff ... I would try to check tomorrow.

Christophe wrote:Paying green energy at the right price, but paying nuclear or coal at the price of renewable energy is limiting the development of its last ... I'm wrong? So as much sign all at enercoop ...
See above in this message, Enercoop does not return frankly more expensive than another. Hoping that he will make an offer for individuals in 2007.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/09/06, 09:53

And it's not just the prices: in Chatelet (Belgium between Namur and Charleroi), there is a hairdresser who was passed on another operator.
For almost a year, she waited until Electrabel (who remains the owner of his meter) wants to strengthen its connection, meanwhile, great galley to have hot water ......
It's also the same problem if you are connected to an "alternative" telephone operator (versatel, scarlett, etc ...): as soon as an operation depends on Belgacom, for example a line repair, hello delays .
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be