Nicolas Hulot postpones the 50% nuclear decline target set for 2025

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 07/11/17, 20:44

The law of 2015 on the energy transition plans to reduce from 75% to 50% by 2025 the share of the atom in the French electricity production. A "difficult" goal for the Minister of Ecological Transition.

"The government has reaffirmed very clearly its desire to reach as soon as possible the objective of 50% of the nuclear share but obviously without sacrificing or cutting our goals on climate change »

Fessenheim closed "in the five-year period"

"The achievement of the 50% nuclear power target in 2025 power generation systematically leads to an increase in CO2 emissions from the French power system", due to increased use of gas power plants, underlined RTE in its forecast balance sheet.

According to the company's calculations, to reduce the share of nuclear power in French electricity production to 50% within this time, 24 nuclear reactors with a capacity of 900 megawatts should be closed, in parallel with a strong development of renewable energies.

This scenario also implies that the closure of the highly polluting coal plants should be pushed back beyond 2025. However, in its climate plan announced in July, the government has planned to stop electricity generation from coal by 2022. It also assumes the construction of a "significant number" of new gas plants.

In his announcements on Tuesday, however, Mr Hulot said that the Fessenheim nuclear power plant "will be closed in the quinquennium".

http://www.lemonde.fr/energies/article/2017/11/07/nicolas-hulot-reporte-l-objectif-de-baisse-du-nucleaire-de-50-d-ici-a-2025_5211451_1653054.html

Finally and as agreed the share of nuclear should not decline, official reason: we must reduce GHG emissions ... unofficially I think it is simply no longer possible to get out of the nuclear industry in view of peak oil (conventional + unconventional) which is profiled in the coming 10 years ...

The CNE Fessenheim will close when the EPR Flamanville will be operational, also no surprise.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Nicolas Hulot postpones 50's nuclear decline target set for 2025

by sicetaitsimple » 07/11/17, 21:24

sen-no-sen wrote:

The law of 2015 on the energy transition plans to reduce from 75% to 50% by 2025 the share of the atom in the French electricity production. A "difficult" goal for the Minister of Ecological Transition.

[Quote]

Let's just remember that this 50% results from a campaign promise of our former president in 2011 ... The voluntarism and the round figures are by nature campaign arguments, after it is a little more complicated ....

We should also remember that the energy transition law sets a target of 50% "by 2025". In legal terms, "the horizon" is a very vague notion .... And everyone knows that when we advance, the horizon recedes ....

Above all, it must be remembered from Nicolas Hulot's statement that the important thing is to set a more or less rapid forecast schedule for plant closures. He gives himself, if I understood correctly, about 1 year to do so within the framework of the adoption of the next EPP.

Until then, I find that it seems to me quite pragmatic and far from the Sego-attitude .... In any case it is "courageous" on his part.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/11/17, 15:48

Storm warning between Nicolas Hulot and the environmentalists

Could it be the divorce between Nicolas Hulot and the environmental protection associations? By titling its press release "Misunderstanding of the FNH in the face of Nicolas Hulot's retreat on the reduction of the nuclear part of our energy", the Foundation for Nature and Man, for the first time, directly targets the one that was its creator and president before becoming the minister of the ecological transition and solidarity of Emmanuel Macron.

Previously, on the CETA - the free trade agreement between the European Union and Canada - or the endocrine disruptors, the NGO, very critical, had attacked the government or the head of state. But never Nicolas Hulot. Is it a step that, from disappointment to disillusionment, would lead the FNH and organizations to break with their former champion?

Not yet, corrects Audrey Pulvar, the president of the FNH * "We are not in a process of shooting pigeons, we all have interest in it being him there, in a government led by Edouard Philippe and under the presidency of Emmanuel Macron. The longer it stays, the better. "

http://www.lemonde.fr/energies/article/2017/11/09/avis-de-tempete-entre-nicolas-hulot-et-les-ecologistes_5212519_1653054.html

* FNH = Nicolas Hulot Foundation.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/11/17, 19:44

Nicolas Hulot: "Nuclearization sequence" ... :D
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/11/17, 20:01

Ahmed wrote:Nicolas Hulot: "Nuclearization sequence" ... :D

I find you very hard with Nicolas Hulot!

As I said a little above, I seem to be the first to really hit the mound beyond the promises of bistro our ex-president and shot chin his ex-companion.

In short, he wants a real calendar, which we will see progressivity, without stopping at totems of round numbers on the percentage or the date.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/11/17, 20:43

Ahmed wrote:Nicolas Hulot: "Nuclearization sequence" ... :D

And I would say even more: Macronisation sequence! : Lol:

sicetaitsimple wrote:As I said a little above, I seem to be the first to really hit the mound beyond the promises of bistro our ex-president and shot chin his ex-companion.

It is true that the position of Nicolas Hulot is particularly difficult, I would not like to be in its place.
Indeed how to reconcile the preservation of the biosphere in a government focused on maximizing growth?

To the best will it manage to manage some subsidiary problems as non construction of the airport of Notre Dame des moors, the end of the use of the glyphosate, the prohibition of the neonicotinoïdes, the closing of Fessenheim etc ... for the there remains little illusion to be made, and that is why it was chosen.
His role is simple:manager in contradictions! 8)
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/11/17, 21:32

sen-no-sen wrote:It is true that the position of Nicolas Hulot is particularly difficult, I would not like to be in its place.
Indeed how to reconcile the preservation of the biosphere in a government focused on maximizing growth?

To the best will it manage to manage some subsidiary problems as non construction of the airport of Notre Dame des moors, the end of the use of the glyphosate, the prohibition of the neonicotinoïdes, the closing of Fessenheim etc ... for the there remains little illusion to be made, and that is why it was chosen.
His role is simple:manager in contradictions! 8)

It is easy to throw stones, a little less to act. Finally it's my point of view .....
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/11/17, 22:02

sicetaitsimple wrote:
It is easy to throw stones, a little less to act. Finally it's my point of view .....

I do not throw stones at him, any person of good will would be in the same situation, in a government of this kind there are two solutions, serve as moral support or ... resign.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/11/17, 22:09

sen-no-sen wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:

I do not throw stones at him, any person of good will would be in the same situation, in a government of this kind there are two solutions, serve as moral support or ... resign.

No, there is a much easier position, not to be in charge and to moan .....
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/11/17, 22:55

sicetaitsimple wrote:No, there is a much easier position, not to be in charge and to moan .....

Those who would like to be in charge are logically evacuated from the chain of command, normal that they moan! : Lol:
0 x