Explosion in a fuel warehouse

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

Explosion in a fuel warehouse

by nonoLeRobot » 11/12/05, 20:05

This morning at 6 am, my doors are slamming, I understand nothing (after a big evening ;-))

At 8 o'clock my mother calls me to see if everything is fine (I don't understand anything either ;-)).

But a large fuel warehouse to explode 17 km from my home. This morning at 8 a.m., we couldn't see anything (It must be said that there was a lot of fog (eyes included)) but this evening at 4:30 a.m., we see a super extended smoke pannache and it doesn't look like calm down, they even expect other explosions (see the news with my photos).
Last edited by nonoLeRobot the 11 / 12 / 05, 20: 29, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/12/05, 20:18

Thanks again for the exclusive NoNo photos :)

I have 2 comments to make about this news:

1) If the thesis of the attack is "officially" rejected. We can ask ourselves the following question: what would be the consequences for the Western world of repeated massive attacks on, for example, the major ports of Saudi Arabia?

Nobody knows, but a certainty this would be a disaster for the economy of rich countries. Anyway, we will see tomorrow if this disaster plays on crude oil prices ... Maybe the international influence will be zero but surely not the fuel costs in the region of the disaster (Noo could you try to see the cost increase?)

2) I bet that within a few days, the media will cry out about the ecological disaster. Certainly there is a disaster .... but is it worse than if these fuels had burned "normally" in our cars or boilers? Finally an ecological disaster does not occur every day in all "discretion" ? Yep ... oil doesn't destroy life until it's on the beaches ...

It reminds me very simply of the post-Gulf War oil well fire in 1991, the equivalent of 60 million barrels of oil had burnt down in 6 months ... All the associations and media then deplored the ecological disaster. ..

However, these 60 million barrels currently correspond (and probably in 1991-92 also) to less than the current daily oil consumption of humanity ... To those to whom the plumes of black smoke from incomplete combustion are frightening for the planet ... You should know that any particle always ends up falling more or less quickly (depending on their size) while the CO2, from good combustion, is in the atmosphere at least for 120 years ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 12/12/05, 00:15

To get the daily oil prices, just ask the stock market:

http://www.boursorama.com/indices/matieres_premieres.phtml

ou

Brent: http://bourse.lesechos.fr/ide/details.phtml?id=mbrlo1e
WTI: http://bourse.lesechos.fr/ide/details.phtml?id=mwtny1e

It seems that London Brent and WTI (New York) suffered a sharp peak of around $ 1 today. But overall it went back down to the usual curve at the close.

However, the quantities of oil involved in the accident were not huge compared to daily global volumes. Despite this, the markets reacted quickly with a rise in prices. This again shows that the oil market is extremely tight. And the reasons for this tension are rather to be found on the side of Peak Oil ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/05, 00:21

Uh Rulian, the stock exchanges being closed the weekend, there is no quotation ... the last quotation dates from Friday ... or so I can't read.

I don't know where you got that $ 1 peak from? (no stock market in any case, nor echos: Course update: 09/12/05 - 22:14 - graphic: 11/12 23:17).

If not for the remark concerning the quantities ... in absolute terms you are right. But here the stock quotes are today quite far from the rule of the market of supply and demand and an event like this one (with the fears that this can cause) can very well influence in a way much more significantly than the law of supply and demand (I hope I was clear ... like rock water : Twisted: )
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 12/12/05, 10:12

Did you know: there are only 1200 tankers in the world to transport oil and none are currently free!
It costs several millions of dollars to transport 1 tanker of kowet to the USA and the shipowners have never gained as much as since now (including Sunday!)
It is easier to understand that a simple hurricane or an explosion of a petrol depot is enough on its own to drive up world prices.
Yes, "tight market" is even a somewhat weak term!
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 12/12/05, 10:31

econology wrote:Uh Rulian, the stock exchanges being closed the weekend, there is no quotation ... the last quotation dates from Friday ... or so I can't read.

I don't know where you got that $ 1 peak from? (no stock market in any case, nor echos: Course update: 09/12/05 - 22:14 - graphic: 11/12 23:17).

Uh, well ... I hadn't thought of that, and I didn't think about checking the dates, thinking that the graph was of the day ...
Still, I have observed a peak of $ 1 on the graph I saw yesterday on the WTI. It must have been Friday maybe ... In this case I do not explain this peak.

My fault.

But that doesn't change anything about the tension in the market. The term is even a little weak indeed. And I'm not even talking to you about the events to come in early 2006 which will add a hell of a layer. For very rich info about energy prices and peakoil news, see here:

http://www.energybulletin.net/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/05, 10:40

What are the events of early 2006?
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 12/12/05, 11:10

what events ?? a war in Iran?
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 12/12/05, 11:21

What are the events of early 2006?

Well Iran, the world's second producer, has just confirmed its intention to do without Western stock markets to sell its oil.

The government intends to create its own market in Tehran and to use the Euro instead of the Dollar as its currency !! All this for the first or second quarter of 2006 (rumor speaks of March)

It is a potential bomb since the USA will have to pay exchange fees to be able to buy in Euro on this market. Currently the rest of the world is paying exchange fees to be able to buy oil in dollars. In addition it is an open breach in the hegemony of the greenback on the energy markets and it is possible that many countries seek to take advantage of it.

If this may at first sight seem profitable for non-Americans, we must see the risk of torpedoing an already weakened American economy. In this case the whole world would sink with it. Not to mention the waves caused in the stock markets around the world.

And then I don't think Deubeuliou intends to let it happen. If we add to this the escalation of Iran's anti-Israel declarations and its obvious ill-will regarding civil nuclear power, I think that we have all the ingredients for a serious extension of armed conflicts in the Middle East. And it will not be small countries ...

So unless Iran gives up on its plan and becomes friends with Israel (hum), I really don't see what could keep the oil / gas market from being extremely ticklish next year.

Hang your belts, it could shake a little ...
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 12/12/05, 12:02

We're going to die of this oil : Cry:

But if it takes a major event to see the emergence of new energies, notably free energies, the only ones in my eyes that mark hope.
the space conquest saw its salvation with the second war, I hope that we will not come there.
0 x