The origin of oil: abiotic or biological?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The origin of oil: abiotic or biological?

by the middle » 13/11/11, 06:32

Hello,
I have had great doubts about the theory of the birth of petroleum, which talks about the transformation of plants and animals, for a long time.
The Russians have another explanation, which they use.
Thank you DD for the link in which I found this article.
http://www.mondialisation.ca/index.php? ... a&aid=7016
In 1956, Professor Vladimir Porfir'yev presented their conclusions: “Crude oil and natural gas have no intrinsic relationship with biological matter near the surface of the earth. These are primitive materials that have sprung from abyssal depths. Soviet geologists had shaken the orthodoxy of Western geology. They called their theory on the origins of petroleum "abiotic theory" that is to say non-biological, to differentiate it from the Western theory on biological origins.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Projéthée
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Projéthée » 13/11/11, 10:53

Very interesting article. I had heard of this theory before but in much less detail. True, that will explain an aggressive American policy to say the least.
To be complete, I would have to add another theory (not incompatible with that of the Russians) which allows the use of specific bacteria to produce petroleum. A certain Dr Legrait is said to have achieved this during work carried out in Tunisia. As luck would have it, a big black out on the thing. It makes the trade work more to sell us agro fuels and other cochoncetés, the longer the production chain, the more many are fattening on our backs.
In any case, industries based on the exploitation of fossil fuels will soon also deserve this same qualification.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 13/11/11, 11:09

The Russians are convinced that the earth is full of methane (like Titan) and oil and they will prove it to us by delivering gas and oil to us in perpetuity without peak oil !!
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 13/11/11, 11:15

DD, the Russians do not contradict the peak oil or gas, they say that the reserves are much larger than we think ...
We calm down, please :D
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Projéthée
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Projéthée » 13/11/11, 11:54

Anyway, what is the most important question?
A) the quantities of gas or oil likely to be extracted?
B) the quantities of gas or oil that we can afford to burn before all of us die asphyxiated?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The origin of petroleum

by moinsdewatt » 13/11/11, 12:18

lejustemilieu wrote:Hello,
I have had great doubts about the theory of the birth of petroleum, which talks about the transformation of plants and animals, for a long time.
The Russians have another explanation, which they use.
Thank you DD for the link in which I found this article.
http://www.mondialisation.ca/index.php? ... a&aid=7016
In 1956, Professor Vladimir Porfir'yev presented their conclusions: “Crude oil and natural gas have no intrinsic relationship with biological matter near the surface of the earth. These are primitive materials that have sprung from abyssal depths. Soviet geologists had shaken the orthodoxy of Western geology. They called their theory on the origins of petroleum "abiotic theory" that is to say non-biological, to differentiate it from the Western theory on biological origins.

This story is big bullshit.

And then the Russians do not seem that strong to find oil around the world despite these smoky theories.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 13/11/11, 12:50

Considering what there is methane on Titan and in the solar system, I fear very much that it is a reality, the earth full of methane, carbon, with the chlatarates at the bottom of the oceans capable of multiplying by 10 atmospheric CO2 as 56 million years ago, !!!
0 x
manet42
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by manet42 » 13/11/11, 13:25

Soviet geologists had shaken the orthodoxy of Western geology. They called their theory on the origins of petroleum "abiotic theory"

Still a huge Lyssenko-style outburst, find anti-bourgeois or anti-Western theories.
Traces of marine life are abundant in oil operations.
The fact remains that one day there will be no more, it takes millions of years for its formation.

JC
0 x
Continually trying we finally succeed. So more it fails, the more likely it is that it works.
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 13/11/11, 19:45

dedeleco wrote: ...... with the chlatarates at the bottom of the oceans ...!

methane chlatarates can be explained very well by theories which have nothing to do with the unfounded speculation of the Russians.

There is indeed "full" of methane in this form, but for the moment the recovery techniques are still unknown.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 13/11/11, 20:48

Again, certainties that should look at the objective facts to allow very strong doubts !!

Where does the methane from chlatarates come from, especially at very great depths, which are very real and not theoretical ????
Their quantity is enormous, even if difficult to recover and very dangerous, if we warm the ocean floor a little, as 56 million years ago, CO2 multiplied by 10 and much hotter !!!
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"