Barents Sea: first oil explorations

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Barents Sea: first oil explorations

by freddau » 27/06/11, 11:51

Barents Sea: the first oil explorations have started

The new petroleum El Dorado? The first exploration drilling off the coast of Finnmark in the Barents Sea has started. The Norwegian company North Energy has just started work on the Norvarg zone, operated by Total. It is the first in a series of three wells planned for 2011. It will be immediately followed by Heilo and Zapffe. A real technical challenge for drillers, both in depth and in the number of different rock layers to be drilled. The drilling will go up to 4000 meters deep, that is to say it will reach a hundred rocks of the Permian age, which contain sediments of more than 250 million years, at the era of Pangea, the unique continent. Drilling at this depth will also allow a better analysis of all the sedimentary layers in the area, on which, currently, only seismic data are available. Scientists and geologists, if they are optimistic about finding hydrocarbons in these unknown and unexplored layers, cannot however guarantee that they are in sufficient quantity to ensure commercial volumes. The West Phoenix platform, positioned in the area at the end of April, will drill for a hundred days, during the arctic summer. The work should therefore take place in daylight and in correct weather conditions. The first results of the drilling should be known at the end of the year.

http://www.meretmarine.com/article.cfm?id=116143
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/11, 12:06

Thank you for the info. We will never stop ...

Deep drilling at sea, are we looking again for a Mexican oil spill? https://www.econologie.com/forums/louisiane- ... t9659.html
0 x
Addrelyn
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Addrelyn » 27/06/11, 15:12

Deep drilling at sea, are we looking again for a Mexican oil spill?

It's exploration, not exploitation. No risk of an oil spill. If there is oil and they decide to exploit, there on the other hand ... But hey, Total invests a lot for the safety of its drilling.

Besides, for shale gas in France, it's the same, what Total wants to do today is exploration, so no fracturing or what, just a hole to see the geology and be sure. the presence of gas. If there is and no one wants Total to operate it, they can start R&D to find a safer process.

But without exploration, we cannot be sure of the presence of gas and therefore we do nothing ...
0 x
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 27/06/11, 16:00

Addrelyn wrote:But without exploration, we cannot be sure of the presence of gas and therefore we do nothing ...

Well, don't let them pollute my groundwater even more ...
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 27/06/11, 16:46

we all know that the lake is drying up and that soon we will have nothing but yet we are looking for ways to pump even more and faster :?: :?:
0 x
Click my signature