New Holland unveils its hydrogen NH2 tractor

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Capt_Maloche

New Holland unveils its hydrogen NH2 tractor

by Capt_Maloche » 02/03/09, 10:55

Within two years, the prototype fuel cell tractor that New Holland presented at the agricultural machinery show (Sima 2009) in Paris should be tested on pilot farms.

This 150 hp machine uses a polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) catalyst, a more economical alternative to platinum, but above all a hydrogen production unit "on the farm". With 900 m2 of photovoltaic roof and an electrolyser, the farmer will be able to produce enough hydrogen to supply the tractor, and thus be autonomous in "fuel".

The machine, rewarded with a gold medal of the show, should be marketed in five years, for an additional cost "of only a few percent" explains Ludovic Vimond, spokesman for New Holland, who compares "the significant costs of development of low-emission engines "and" the simplicity of the fuel cell ". In its thermal version, this tractor now costs “50 to 60 €”.

To know more :

* The New Holland site http://agriculture.newholland.com/franc ... fault.aspx

The autonomous farm model is on the way Image , watch the video on the home page of the site, interesting, and apparently approved by all ?? !! without consideration ??

But it's great !!
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/09, 10:57

Uh, is that the Albator tractor? : Mrgreen:

Sorry to break your optimism but the recurring question that always comes up: where will H2 come from?
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 02/03/09, 11:22

Read the text or watch the video presenting the site, lazy !! :D
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/09, 11:25

Well in the text there is nothing about the production of H2 and the video presentation it gave me :D

Well I will force myself ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/09, 11:27

Oh, I found the wrong page I was on "How it works":

And all of this will be done using Hydrogen, which is 100% generated from renewable resources available to farmers in large quantities.

Moué is beautiful science fiction but in practice: what interest to go through H2 compared to the short circuit HVB or even biogas that can be burned directly in the reforming or storage problem of the H2? The CO2 and energy balance is necessarily to the advantage of the shortest solution ... only gain of H2: pollutant emissions surely better controlled ... but at what price?

So it's beautiful (for the eyes and salons) but is it achievable in the current economic context? I doubt...
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 02/03/09, 12:37

Hello

I am lucky to have seen the beast at the last Sima show and here are some pictures.
Regarding the use of the hydrogen fuel cell + electric motors, the performance of the assembly is clearly more favorable than a heat engine.
On the production of hydrogen, there's no picture, the overall balance is not terrible unless the source of the energy required is of the renewable type with storage.
Personally I believe in it if this principle is associated with wind power for example.

A+

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/09, 12:44

Thank you for the 2 photos!

Wow! The H2 makes it so light that it fits on a window!

Yes for wind power but what about profitability at all? The storage of H2 is really problematic ... and let's not forget that the farmers pay the fuel oil tractors except TIC ...

Has New Holland costed the complete "package" of an installation to supply 1 tractor with hydrogen?
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 02/03/09, 12:55

I like the subject because in my opinion the fuel cell for high powers has more future than chemical batteries
This technology advances the proof:

polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) catalyst,

Platinum, rare and expensive, is advantageously replaced
Still, the hydrogen produced by electrolysis is not great but:
There is another fuel, it is methanol, but that must also be produced in an "artificial" way, therefore with an external energy.
Tomorrow we will no doubt be able to make a fuel from a gas that is easier to produce and compress than H2, knowing that the liquid form is the most practical.
Besides, what would prevent a fuel cell from working with alcohol?

A+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/09, 12:58

Nothing prevents it: for a few years there has been an ethanol reformer (released a little after its big methanol brother). It could very well be used on this tractor which would thus become an ethanol tractor ... so we have to ask the question of the global interest compared to an ethanol tractor with combustion engine?

I do not believe in H2 storage at all ... even in an ultra short circuit: it is absolutely necessary to liquefy it and alcohol is one way of doing this ...
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 02/03/09, 13:10

Here is a good file on the fuel cell used in the automobile. On the disadvantages, the problem of the production of H2 is mentioned, but apparently not from the RE :!:

http://www.techno-science.net/?onglet=a ... e=4&page=8

Indeed, apart from electricity (Electricity is a physical phenomenon due to the different electrical charges of matter, manifested by ...), the reaction between hydrogen and air produces only ... water vapor () (Water (which can also be called dihydrogen oxide, hydrogen hydroxide or hydroxyque acid) is a ...). As such, the process does not reject any gas (At the microscopic level, we describe a gas as a set of atoms or molecules very weakly linked and almost ...) greenhouse effect, unlike combustion (The combustion is an exothermic chemical reaction (i.e. accompanied by energy production ...) of fossil fuels (oil, gas, coal).
On paper, in any case, the fuel cell is similar to the ecological panacea, but in the current state of technology (The word technology has two meanings of fact :), producing hydrogen (necessary for battery operation) is not an environmentally neutral process. However, the centralized production of hydrogen would have the advantage that the resulting pollution, in particular carbon dioxide, would be more easily channelable. On such a production scale, it becomes economically and technically possible to recover and treat the CO2. This is difficult to imagine on the scale of each vehicle or each individual user.
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."