ULM motorized with compressed air

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

ULM motorized with compressed air

by loop » 15/12/07, 22:58

Bonsoir

Here is a link to a compressed air engine application project in light aviation

http://kernelys.free.fr/spip.php?article62

For the air tank, modern bottles are made of composite, very robust thanks to the process used.
As for the content, even at 200 bars, as "fuel", the air is undoubtedly the lightest, therefore ideal for use in aviation

Good reading

A+
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 15/12/07, 23:03

Very interesting. But how do we refill the bottles?
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 15/12/07, 23:12

Hi Cuicui

You ask a question which is naturally controversial concerning this technology since the filling of a compressed air tank is generally done with an electric compressor, therefore indirectly thanks (or due?) To nuclear power plants (at least for France)
On the previous subject (compressed air heat engine) the idea (which is not mine) of producing compressed air from a wind turbine was mentioned
There is even an industrial-scale project
See the following link

http://www.enerzine.com/3/2288+L-energi ... lite+.html

A+
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 16/12/07, 00:09

The autonomy is two hours with this compressed air engine but what is the autonomy of an ULM of the same size with thermal motorization :?: :?: :?:
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 16/12/07, 02:27

Hello
Cuicui wrote:Very interesting. But how do we refill the bottles?

Domestic compressor that pushes at 200 and 250 bars it's not just anyone who can have one in their garage
it is a tool other than small compressors for pneumatic tools.
I remember having pumped with a pneumatic pump barrels of 220litres using nitrogen bottles at 150 bars (2200Lbs) industrial oxygen format and yet we quickly emptied one, even relaxed at 7 bars, small bottle of plunger it is not necessary not harness it on a big engine?

the on-board liquid air would be more efficient if it were more easily stored.
Experimentally for flights around the field this can be done, but in real life it is much easier to land at the edge of a roadside service station, refuel, pee and take off again.
For the autonomy of ULMs there are 2 hours and other 4 hours
It is always a question of total legal weight, but spending 4 consecutive hours in the open air with delta you must be fit and vigorous.

Andre
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 16/12/07, 08:14

Andre wrote:For the autonomy of ULMs there are 2 hours and other 4 hours
It is always a question of total legal weight, but spending 4 consecutive hours in the open air with delta you must be fit and vigorous.

Andre

Hi André,

I also said to myself that the time we think about flying also depends a lot on our resistance to the cold!

Regarding the compressor needed to reload the bottles, I can't see everyone having it in their garage! It represents a huge investment.
Apart from ULM clubs, I don't see who would invest in such a machine. And we still have to find THE club that would consent to the investment!
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 16/12/07, 08:42

Hello

Regarding the use of compressed air in aviation, it would be well suited to gliders who only need an ascent in altitude (about 500m) before continuing their flight, in gliding
Autonomy, even if it is poor, is not a problem in this case
However, the on-board weight must be as low as possible, engine as tank
Composites already provide part of the solution

For the question of the compressor, the interest is precisely not to buy it but to have the bottles filled
Today you buy bottled gas
Even lightweight butane composite bottles have been developed that you will buy away from your home, and this idea doesn't bother anyone.

A+
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 16/12/07, 08:48

Do not dream, the company distributing gas bottles will not have fun putting on the market compressed air bottles at 200 bars for 3 poor ULM and 2 poor planners ... :|

I don't mean that badly but Business is Business !!!
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 16/12/07, 10:30

Gregconstruct wrote:The autonomy is two hours with this compressed air engine but what is the autonomy of an ULM of the same size with thermal motorization

Most Pulma have less than 2 hours of autonomy, moreover this kind of device is of limited use because fragile and very sensitive to the elements: to be used only in calm atmosphere ... and personally I quite flown by plane and microlight skyranger even with strong wind and big turbulence, but I would not put the ass in a similar machine, but each his thing : Mrgreen:
But 2 hours of autonomy with 2 diving tanks I ask to see (I do not believe it) and the composite bottles it costs the asshole ...
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 16/12/07, 11:33

I like the pendulum piloting, having done a lot of Delta in the heroic era of "Deltaplouf" with 4 finesse.
If this light pendulum really had 2 hours of autonomy, it would be very good.
This compressed air engine is attractive in theory. I find this research very interesting, even if, for lack of specific installation (compressor) it is difficult to manage in practice for the moment.
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."