Car carburetor conversion to E85?

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Car carburetor conversion to E85?

by fracass » 04/01/22, 16:18

Hi everyone, has someone switched to an ethanol fueled car?

If so, do you have two sets of sprinklers summer: winter, or have you made a compromise?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Car carburetor conversion to E85?

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 04/01/22, 17:34

0 x
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 04/01/22, 17:46

I wanted to know if someone made the conversion for real, I spent my samurai on ethanol by changing the jets, it's fine in summer with e85, but in winter it's over. the e65, suddenly mixture too rich, so rather than changing the jets each time, if a compromise could be found, it would save me from buying a bunch of jets at 10 euros poeces to test : Cheesy:

Otherwise we would have to fit an injection, but I would have liked to leave the carburetor, it's low tech, in the spirit of the car.

In the long term, I would like to make my distillery with rotten fruit collected from producers.
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 05/01/22, 00:35

fracass wrote:I wanted to know if someone made the conversion for real, I spent my samurai on ethanol by changing the jets, it's fine in summer with e85, but in winter it's over. the e65, suddenly mixture too rich, so rather than changing the jets each time, if a compromise could be found, it would save me from buying a bunch of jets at 10 euros poeces to test : Cheesy:

Otherwise we would have to fit an injection, but I would have liked to leave the carburetor, it's low tech, in the spirit of the car.

In the long term, I would like to make my distillery with rotten fruit collected from producers.

Maybe you can play on the air supply?
A smaller nozzle but with an air restriction or not depending on the season?
Something less boring to dismantle than a jet.
You can also play on the exhaust.
A freer pot requires a larger nozzle and vice versa.

I assume the choke is not manual?
On my 4L I adjust with the choke according to the mixture, but I do not turn at 100%.

Even if all that eats you up a few horses, on a Samurai, you should be fine;)

The difficulty will be to have the 2 species (winter and summer) to develop.
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 05/01/22, 11:48

fracass wrote:In the long term, I would like to make my distillery with rotten fruit collected from producers.

There .... To get out of 99% ethanol .... You will need a competitive distillery ... Not to mention the problems with cellar rats ... Because distilling, it does not happen. not without alerting experienced noses ....
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 07/01/22, 11:50

SixK wrote:Maybe you can play on the air supply?
A smaller nozzle but with an air restriction or not depending on the season?
Something less boring to dismantle than a jet.
You can also play on the exhaust.
A freer pot requires a larger nozzle and vice versa.

I assume the choke is not manual?
On my 4L I adjust with the choke according to the mixture, but I do not turn at 100%.

Even if all that eats you up a few horses, on a Samurai, you should be fine;)

The difficulty will be to have the 2 species (winter and summer) to develop.

I have a manual choke, but in the end I bought a wideband AFR, in order to choose two sets of jets perfectly suited to each fuel, on my carburetor (zx solex) there is no need to disassemble the carburettor to change the jets, so it goes fast.

I don't want to lose power, it's soft, a samurai already at the base
0 x
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 07/01/22, 11:53

Macro wrote:
There .... To get out of 99% ethanol .... You will need a competitive distillery ... Not to mention the problems with cellar rats ... Because distilling, it does not happen. not without alerting experienced noses ....

Well, no need for 99%, it turns into alcohol to burn the mess.
I found on the net the book "alcohol fuel" there is described some examples of stills, we can make the distillation column with a stainless steel tube filled with broken glass for example

I don't have too many neighbors, it will be discreet
0 x
VINTZ
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by VINTZ » 23/02/22, 21:11

fracass wrote:I wanted to know if someone made the conversion for real, I spent my samurai on ethanol by changing the jets, it's fine in summer with e85, but in winter it's over. the e65, suddenly mixture too rich, so rather than changing the jets each time, if a compromise could be found, it would save me from buying a bunch of jets at 10 euros poeces to test : Cheesy:

hello I have a sj 413 from 1991 with carburetor me too what did you put as a jet to run on ethanol suddenly?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 23/02/22, 22:39

The E85 at the pump contains all the additives required for the engines, to distill it yourself is not a bit risky?
Already the valve seats are weakened by driving on E85, so without the ad hoc additives...!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/02/22, 22:46

VINTZ wrote:

hello I have a sj 413 from 1991 with carburetor me too what did you put as a jet to run on ethanol suddenly?

E85 is a seasonally variable blend of alcohol (ethanol) and super 95, you can't drive 100% alcohol without risk.
0 x