Audi e-Diesel: electric diesel renewable fuel produced in Switzerland in Aargau

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Audi e-Diesel: electric diesel renewable fuel produced in Switzerland in Aargau

by Christophe » 11/11/17, 01:23

It is 100% renewable and neutral in CO2 ... 400 000L per year it is not heavy but it is already that ...

Uh, but we did not want to ban diesel ??? : Cheesy:

Audi builds a synthetic fuel plant

Audi has chosen Switzerland, and Aargau, to install a synthetic fuel manufacturing plant. The e-Diesel will be produced from a renewable energy source.

An Audi complex will produce 400.000 liters of synthetic diesel per year from 2019. This e-Diesel fuel, manufactured with renewable energy, allows conventional engines to operate as with conventional diesel. However, it is neutral in CO2. The German brand has chosen to install this production unit in Switzerland, in Aargau. It will open in 2018 to produce its first liters.

Process

Electricity is produced by a dam. It is used for electrolysis separating hydrogen and oxygen from water. Hydrogen is reacted with CO2 recovered from the atmosphere or organic compounds to make hydrocarbons. These are then refined into e-Diesel and wax (for other industrial outlets). In addition, excess heat can be used by households and surrounding industries.

Alternative to fossil fuel

With this complex, Audi is exploring a path increasingly followed by the automotive and oil industry: the synthetic fuel neutral CO2 and "cleaned" of the most harmful components of conventional fuels.

Audi factory-biocarburant.jpg
audi-usine-biocarburant.jpg (45 KIO) Accessed 7762 times

audi-e-diesel aargau.jpg
audi-e-diesel-aargau.jpg (57.04 KIO) Accessed 7762 times

https://www.moniteurautomobile.be/actu- ... tique.html
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Audi's Re: e-Diesel: electric diesel renewable fuel produced in Switzerland in Aargau

by dede2002 » 11/11/17, 06:41

They do not say how many electric kWh will be used to make these 400'000 liters of fuel ... :?:
0 x
Christophe

Audi's Re: e-Diesel: electric diesel renewable fuel produced in Switzerland in Aargau

by Christophe » 11/11/17, 12:01

Huge AMHA, I think the efficiency of the "well to the tank" (here from the meter to the tank) must be less than 20% ... compared to the 85-90% efficiency (from the meter to the battery) of charging an electric car.

Another similar process produces ethanol, we talked about it last year: https://www.econologie.com/catalyseur-n ... 2-ethanol/ here the advertised yield was 60-70% so the Audi process is maybe higher than 20% ... to see ...

Read the debate that will be similar: biofuels / nano-catalyst-spike-co2 water-electricity-ethanol-t14989.html

Basically, in fact I think that Audi has invested in this project to show that we can make "renewable" Diesel and therefore put pressure, in a context where diesel engines are the targets of many policies, to continue to manufacture and sell what really makes him money: big diesel ... : Cheesy:
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 11/11/17, 13:15

Christophe wrote:

This picture is from ...... Nov 2014.

see the past: http://www.oleocene.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 47#p367647
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/11/17, 13:43

Ok this is the "pilot" plant ... the industrial demonstrator so ...
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 12/11/17, 11:25

Christophe wrote:Huge AMHA, I think the efficiency of the "well to the tank" (here from the meter to the tank) must be less than 20% ... compared to the 85-90% efficiency (from the meter to the battery) of charging an electric car.

to be multiplied by the efficiency of the reservoir at the wheel, or from the battery to the wheel ... : Wink:

For agrofuels, I am wary of calculations that do not necessarily take all the elements into account, such as the energy of fertilizers, land grabbing, agricultural pollution, etc ...
1 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 12/11/17, 12:11

Mouai ... the fact that this unit is built by a car manufacturer speaks volumes ... will to perpetuate a sector that goes too fast on the end?
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
greg1969
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by greg1969 » 26/11/17, 08:46

Hello,
Small comparison to show that synthetic diesel is a marketing idea very ... smoker.

Synthetic Diesel:
1) Electrolysis of water: estimated yield 80%
2) conversion of hydrogen H2 to methane CH4: estimated yield 80%
3) conversion of CH4 methane into synthetic diesel: The Audi communication explains that we will recover heat. So execrable yield estimated: 50% maximum.
4) performance of a diesel engine under normal conditions (city, highway, highway): significantly less than 30%
If I multiply all these returns, I get LESS 10% yield between the electricity and the wheels of the car!
And I do not count the full CO2 impact of the pile of processes needed to make this fuel.

Use of current in an electric car:
1) Battery charge efficiency: 80%
2) efficiency of the electric motor: 95%
By multiplying, I get more than 70%

Conclusion, I am more than 7 times more efficient with the electric car than with a car using synthetic diesel.
This process will not go further than the industrial prototype.
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 26/11/17, 09:59

greg1969 wrote:Hello,
Small comparison to show that synthetic diesel is a marketing idea very ... smoker.

Synthetic Diesel:
1) Electrolysis of water: estimated yield 80%
2) conversion of hydrogen H2 to methane CH4: estimated yield 80%
3) conversion of CH4 methane into synthetic diesel: The Audi communication explains that we will recover heat. So execrable yield estimated: 50% maximum.
4) performance of a diesel engine under normal conditions (city, highway, highway): significantly less than 30%
If I multiply all these returns, I get LESS 10% yield between the electricity and the wheels of the car!
And I do not count the full CO2 impact of the pile of processes needed to make this fuel.

Use of current in an electric car:
1) Battery charge efficiency: 80%
2) efficiency of the electric motor: 95%
By multiplying, I get more than 70%

Conclusion, I am more than 7 times more efficient with the electric car than with a car using synthetic diesel.
This process will not go further than the industrial prototype.

The yields you pay at these various stages are actually far removed from the yields in industrial production, which makes the process even less interesting.

What troubles me a little in this kind of research is that we know perfectly well how to operate a diesel engine with vegetable oils that are simply filtered and purified, and whose natural origin is difficult to dispute ... Do we bother with this complex chain of costly transformations in energy and investment. Of course, we can dispute the very principle of bio-fuels, but it remains a little more interesting than these “gas factories”.
0 x
balandar
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by balandar » 27/11/17, 00:06

Hello
anyway the diesel is not dead for tomorrow all these policy ideas to delete everything will not hold already they are planned to do it out of their bizarre mandate there is still water to go under the bridge before the deletions and with what he will fly the planes they use to walk at our expense that they do not talk about it
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."