Nano-spike catalyst: CO2 + water + electricity = ethanol

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Nano-spike catalyst: CO2 + water + electricity = ethanol

by Christophe » 27/10/16, 00:43

Made an interesting discovery ... a little ... by chance!

Highly industrialization!

(...) The nanochimiste Adam Rondinone and his colleagues at Oak Ridge Laboratory, the US Department of Energy, have found a method of transforming the CO2 fuel ethanol - and all this by chance.

"We were in that study the first step of the reaction when we noticed that the catalyst realized throughout the reaction itself," says Rondinone.

The researcher described the ingredients of his experience: take a pinch of copper nanoparticles that sprinkles on a carbon particle surface Nitrogen Enriched. The carbon particles form "nanospikes", that is to say, tiny lightning rods, wide only a few atoms at the top, and able to create a strong electric field of tension (one nanometer = one billionth of a meter).
(...)

This very reactive mixture produced in a small space becomes a catalyst which, under the effect of an electric current, directly converts ethanol in carbon dioxide.

According to the researchers, the effectiveness of the process is to 63 70 percent, and therefore produces little waste. Moreover, it is energy efficient, because a voltage volt 1,2 just enough to start the reaction.

(...)

Thanks to the relative simplicity of the device (cheap materials, low power consumption, ethanol production at room temperature), Rondinone and his colleagues still believe in an industrial application of their process. For example, it could store the surplus energy produced by solar panels or wind turbines turning it into ethanol. "This could help smooth out irregularities in renewable energy production. "

Nano-spike.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7EYQLOlwDM

More informations:
http://newatlas.com/co2-ethanol-nanopar ... rnl/45920/
https://www.ornl.gov/news/nano-spike-ca ... ly-ethanol
http://motherboard.vice.com/fr/read/des ... -carburant
https://www.econologie.com/catalyseur-na ... 2-ethanol/
0 x
Christophe

Re: Catalyst Nano-spike: CO2 + water + electricity = ethanol

by Christophe » 27/10/16, 01:17

Another method (English) making methanol from atmospheric CO2 via catalysis (but I still least understood how it worked! : Cheesy: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SqwSU8ns4
0 x
rubbish
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rubbish » 27/10/16, 12:11

Yes but in fact the energy efficiency of 20%. Already it's less envy ...

Once more journalistic bluff as there are hundreds, announcement effects that just serve to attract investors and to give hope to the gullible who believe that we will find the micracle energy (as well sure it settles for free on the roof of their house as thermal solar energy every day, but shut, do not tell them, they must sell the photovoltaics with its poor performance 20% larger maximum credit for good if possible submission).

"Now let's talk about the energy efficiency. The energy efficiency is essentially the energy you store divided by the energy you put into the reaction. We haven't really investigated this, but we're ballparking it around 20 percent, which is low. This is why, in the paper, we actually said that the overpotential (which defines the energy efficiency) is probably too high for the catalyst as it currently stands to be used commercially. "
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... interview/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/10/16, 12:42

Yes 60% / 3 if one starts from a power station to produce electricity ... it gives 20% of primary energy.

A similar calculation on the CO2 needs to be done ...

electric 1kWh = 300 gr CO2 (EU average)
If the consumption of this will kWh converted by at least 300 gr CO2 then it is not worth continuing ...

Moreover CO2 it will be rejected by the combustion of ethanol ... so this is certain:

These methods are only useful by being powered by renewable sources!

I'd like to see a full comparison compared to microalgae ... not on that nature does not do better in fine ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/11/16, 22:44

If they succeed their bet:
The researchers now plan to increase efforts to investigate this process and try to make it more effective in order to use it at a larger scale than that of a laboratory experiment. If they succeed, we could well be witnessing a major change in the field of renewable energy ... and see, in the near future, carbon capture large-scale systems dioxide using these techniques! http://www.demotivateur.fr/article/nano ... hanol-7636
0 x
hudax
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hudax » 04/11/16, 10:24

izentrop wrote:If they succeed their bet:
The researchers now plan to increase efforts to investigate this process and try to make it more effective in order to use it at a larger scale than that of a laboratory experiment. If they succeed, we could well be witnessing a major change in the field of renewable energy ... and see, in the near future, carbon capture large-scale systems dioxide using these techniques! http://www.demotivateur.fr/article/nano ... hanol-7636

this is a very interesting research BUT do not forget that this process requires:
hydrogen was out of the water (for example) therefore electricity consumption
pure CO2 to avoid contamination of the reaction medium (question: Is the industrial CO2 compliant)
continuous operation for profitability; not just a few hours at night to use several GWh surplus
AN IDEA DIGGING: use sawmill wood waste in a gasifier (new name of the old gasifier) ​​with the oxygen produced by the electrolysis of water to obtain a gas mixture of CO and H2 CH4 which will then treated with an excess of hydrogen (produced by electrolysis)
gazéifeur the product usable heat to produce electricity (electrolysis) continuously
its gas is not released into the atmosphere but used for the production of ethanol or CH4
so it is a closed circuit: trees absorb CO2 and are the basis of a fuel fabrication
CO2 content of the atmosphere does not increase
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 04/11/16, 10:59

Yeah right! It is not won. The wood resource is not scalable. In addition to the gas with much less profitable to directly use the heat generated.
I had not either decrypted the video: the necessary hydrogen extraction and pure CO2 actually a more chimera :(
0 x
hudax
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hudax » 04/11/16, 12:17

izentrop wrote:Yeah right! It is not won. The wood resource is not scalable. In addition to the gas with much less profitable to directly use the heat generated.
(

exact "it's not won" as in any new idea in opposition to the oil, gas or nuclear lobbies
it is possible to use other sources than wood (for example: residues of sugar cane, reeds, "elephant grasses", agricultural residues etc ...)
using the heat produced by the simple burning of wood entails rejection of CO2 in the atmosphere while the gasifier sends its CO2, H2 and CH4 in the manufacturing process of ethanol / methanol by reducing the need for hydrogen
the use of pure oxygen (electrolysis residue) removes nitrogen (+/- 70%) contained in the atmospheric air thus reducing processing gas products (no NOX)
this use does not completely solve the problem of our fuels but a beginning of a solution such as photovoltaic, wind etc.
the mastery of the production line could be a source of industrial export therefore jobs
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/11/16, 13:58

hudax wrote:exact "it's not won" as in any new idea in opposition to the oil, gas or nuclear lobbies
What we should consider is whether this system of using wood to produce liquid fuel is better than existing processes (synthesis gas and Fischer-Tropsch example).

Through a heat conversion into electricity and electrolysis, I fear that the performance is not famous.
0 x
hudax
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hudax » 04/11/16, 15:17

[/ Quote] What we should consider is whether this system of using wood to produce liquid fuel is better than existing processes (synthesis gas and Fischer-Tropsch example).
Through a heat conversion into electricity and electrolysis, I fear that the performance is not great. [/ Quote]
the known solution (synthesis gas + fischer-tropsch) releases a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere; by comparison, the "gasification" process releases little CO2 into the air; precisely the desired goal
the use of heat from the gasifier reduces network power consumption (nuclear or renewable)
because at times (very cold and electric heating; at night and no wind) the network is no longer following the request
the heat is consumed locally by the installation; the concept of performance is difficult to assess
0 x