Cellulosic ethanol

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Cellulosic ethanol

by moinsdewatt » 07/11/15, 20:20

DuPont inaugurated its cellulosic ethanol plant, which is the largest in the US.
Production capacity of 30 millions of gallons annually from corn stalks.
It will be necessary to treat 375,000 tons of these maize raffles.
The factory cost 225 $ millions.

Digging into the science of cellulosic ethanol

Nov 5, 2015 Willie Vogt

The day before Halloween was a big day for Nevada, Iowa. That's the day that DuPont officially opened its new cellulosic ethanol plant. Key dignitaries are on the right hand side of the world.

DuPont's plant, the largest in the nation, when up to full capacity will produce 30 million gallons of ethanol a year from corn stover. Jan Koninckx, Global Business Director, Advanced Biofuels, DuPont, explains that fuel from this plant will be made "90% less greenhouse gas then the production of gasoline."

Koninckx notes that the ceremony is being held prior to the official plant opening, during the media event and referred to the Nevada plant as "serial No. 1," which means that it is process over time. "Plants," he says, noting DuPont's commitment to biofuels.

He adds that in the company's 213 year history. "We know how to bring a plant online, there is always a degree of uncertainty in a first plant. We expect the first shipments of biofuel to begin in 2016. "

http://farmindustrynews.com/biofuel/dig ... ic-ethanol

They are expected to process 375,000 tones of corn each year (about one half ton bale each minute) to produce about 30 million gallons of ethanol a year.

http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/news/cro ... 23a91.html

....Tea $ 225 million plant produces cellulosic ethanol from corn husks - the non-kernel parts of corn plants.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampent ... nt-online/
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 08/11/15, 11:51

I do not dare to imagine the pollution generated by a plant that processes by-products of GM crops that could release glyphosate residues or other waste into the atmosphere ...

And of course to make fuel from thermal engines ...
At the limit, if this ethanol was used for fuel cells ...
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 08/11/15, 15:48

citro wrote:I do not dare to imagine the pollution generated by a plant that processes by-products of GM crops that could release glyphosate residues or other waste into the atmosphere ...

And of course to make fuel from thermal engines ...
At the limit, if this ethanol was used for fuel cells ...

Hi citro
that's good, I bet that this power plant works ethanol!
stack or face?
: Mrgreen:
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Did67

by Did67 » 08/11/15, 16:06

Logically, the "principle" is based on:

first a hydrolysis of cellulose [cellulose is a fairly simple polymer of glucose:"Cellulose is a carbohydrate made up of a linear chain of D-Glucose molecules"]

[before - "1st generation ethanol" - we did the same thing with another glucose polymer, which was starch - which we could also eat but which was very easy to hydrolyze: basically a little saliva, and starch transforms "naturally" into glucose]

- once you have glucose, you ferment it with the appropriate yeast and you have ethanol [again, something that any cider or wine producer knows well].

So much for the principle. It's basically biochemistry. Very simple.

In fact, I think the chemist just uses the proper enzymes in fermenters.

But hey, no need to panic with GMO, emissions, etc ...

There is, what is real, a problem general around the production of GMO corn. And the energy balance of these "intensive" productions: fertilizers, machines, etc ... Some are for, others against ...

But once this has been done, the corn grown, the grain picked up, the hydrolysing / fermenting a residue, the cane, will not change much.

No, if you are looking for the "big flaw" of this system, it is that for an agronomist like me, the cane is intended to come back to the ground, to feed lots of organisms (bacteria, fungi ...), to be transformed into humus, which is "stabilizing" of the soil ... By exploiting this resource in this way, one "treats" [from the verb "milk"] the soils a little more ... With predictable consequences on the side the "humus rate" of the soils, therefore the weakening of the soil, and, from the slightest slopes, increased risks of erosion. Incidentally, less stable, less "naturally rich", the fall in the level of humus will require an increase in the doses of chemical fertilizers ... In other words, on one side we gain ethanol, on the other side, the energy balance of agriculture will undoubtedly deteriorate a little more ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 08/11/15, 16:34

I am of your opinion ...

But manufacturers have the answer:
Fertilizers, pesticides, and other inputs that required a lot of oil for their production.

Without forgetting of course the essential GMO seeds ... To add a genetic pollution to chemical pollution.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Cellulosic ethanol

by moinsdewatt » 18/11/17, 20:31

Enerkem Launches Commercial Cellulosic Ethanol Production in Edmonton, Canada

Frederic DOUARD 19 September 201

Second generation biofuel producer Enerkem, based in Montreal, Quebec, announced 15 September 2017 that it had just launched its commercial production of cellulosic ethanol. Enerkem's innovative plant in Edmonton, Alberta is the first commercial-scale plant in the world to produce cellulosic ethanol from non-recyclable, non-compostable mixed urban waste.

Edmonton Enerkem Factory, photo Merle Prosofsky

The company has produced and sold biomethanol from 2016, before expanding production to offer cellulosic ethanol through the installation of a methanol to ethanol conversion unit earlier this year.

« We will now progressively increase production in Edmonton, while preparing for the construction of our next facilities, both locally and internationally Said Vincent Chornet, President and CEO of Enerkem.

https://www.bioenergie-promotion.fr/529 ... -edmonton/
0 x