India could carburer to plastic

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Moira

by Moira » 16/03/04, 10:11

Hello!

This article appeared yesterday in "Libé". I deliver it to you:

Pierre PRAKASH

At first glance, the story has everything a fairy tale. In a small laboratory of central India, an unknown chemistry professor would have found a way to turn plastic waste into gasoline. No loss, no pollution, and fuel ready, all for the modest sum of 0,13 euro per liter of gasoline product. This story is nevertheless true. The spectacular discovery of Alka Zadgaonkar, a professor at a small university in the city of Nagpur, has indeed been tested and validated by the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), one of India's largest oil companies. "The process needs to be optimized, but it works," says Niranjan Raje, director of the branch research and development of IOC.

secret ingredient. A small revolution since, to date, no one has found the effective way to get rid of 150 million tons of plastic produced each year worldwide. Patented by the World Intellectual Property Organization, the invention could be especially providential for India, which, with a daily production of over 9 000 tons, awash in waste plastics. Although the inventor has been approached by several foreign companies, she refuses to sell his patent, saying that "the invention must first be used to [his] own country." "If India used this process on half of its waste plastic, it not only limit the pollution, but in addition it would benefit each day from additional 2,5 million liters of gasoline," she calculates.

"The method is effective with any type of plastic, assures the woman of 40 years. Plastic bags, PVC pipe or even waterproof: everything can be used. One kilogram of waste gives a kilo of combustible materials, of which three quarters of fuels. "The process is surprisingly simple. In short, it is sufficient to heat the waste at a temperature of 350 degree with some coal and a guarded secret ingredient. Introduced into a reactor for three hours, they emerge as a liquid fuel (80%), gas (15%) and coal tailings (5%). The liquid contains 40% to 60% gasoline, about 25% diesel, and kerosene and the remaining lubricant. The gas can directly be used in cooking, and coal residues are easily reusable by thermal or metallurgical industry. "So we transform 100% of waste 100% of usable products for individuals or industry," says Umesh Zadgaonkar, husband of the inventor but also a chemist, joined the project.

How does the scientist get there? "The plastics and fuels are both hydrocarbons, she says. The only difference is that the chain molecules is longer for plastic. So I applied to find a way to break that chain to get smaller segments. "Launched in 1995, the method has produced its first results since 1998. And what was initially a hobby for a passionate scientist, could now become an industrial reality. Impressed by the results, the Oil Ministry plans to take to create a pilot plant with a capacity of five tons per day, to see if the process is viable on large quantities. A sum of 1,4 million has been allocated to the project, which is awaiting a final green light from government scientists. The plastic will be provided by the municipality of Nagpur, delighted to find a way to get rid of its waste. By itself, this small town in central India produced some effect 60 tons of plastic per day.

Refining. As promising as it is, the method of the couple Zadgaonkar unfortunately is not perfect. The fuels obtained are indeed not directly usable for vehicles. "They need to be refined, says Niranjan Raje, but we can by cons used as such for generators, agricultural pumps or boilers." To optimize the process, Zadgaonkar signed last year a memorandum of agreement with IOC. This has already found a way to reduce the amount of chlorine contained in the fuel, but the project team believes that the invention especially has an ecological vocation. "The product's commercial viability is limited for now, says Niranjan Raje. But even if we do not find a way to reduce impurities in the fuel, the process is an effective way to get rid of the plastic. "The inventors, themselves, maintain that" the further refinement can easily be done with known methods ". And even without that, "My own car is working for two years with this fuel, says Umesh Zadgaonkar, and I never had any problems."

Moira :P
0 x
Logan
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Logan » 16/03/04, 15:20

Hello,

I note that by their own admission, the economic viability is not demonstrated.

it can be translated as:

To transform 1 kg plastic 1 kg of oil, you have to spend energy in the conversion process: more 1 kg of oil equivalent.
Or in other words, the process consumes more energy than it used to produce.

The essence thus produced should logically be more expensive to sell unless it is subsidized.

Then remains the ecological balance:
plastic is replaced by 1kg 1 kg oil + 1kg (at least) of oil to produce the + chemical pollution inherent in this new industry.

I know it seems blah, blah as profit.

I think the recycling of plastics in other plastics is the least expensive solution for energy and therefore cleaner.
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 16/03/04, 21:03

And even without that, "My own car is working for two years with this fuel, says Umesh Zadgaonkar, and I never had any problems."

It seems to me a lot, but what about the chlorine and the whole shebang?
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
Moira

by Moira » 16/03/04, 23:52

Hello!

It is true that the article is not very rigorous; for example, he questions the economic viability of the invention after having argued with a low cost (0,13e).

But it should be noted that the objectives of the operation are: plastic pollution and less dependence of India on fossil fuels. But after using the oil to start production, I guess you could use the fuel produced to continue. So: recycling of plastic waste and fewer oil imports to the country. From this perspective it seems consistent.

Moira
0 x
Logan
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Logan » 17/03/04, 00:41

Except that if all the fuel thus produces only serves to fuel the process loop without remainder.
So they just invented a new form of waste incinerator, arf ...

The whole question of economic interest is in the famous remaining.
Nothing says that there ...
0 x
slowrage
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by slowrage » 17/03/04, 15:20

that sounds nice anyway this project, since after all the plastic is petroleum based (though I do not tormpe me) it was logical that we can do to become essence ... for problem of impurities, c okay, we put it in a pantone engine and voila (ok I dream ^^)
0 x
Logan
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Logan » 17/03/04, 17:59

One can also imagine a miniature plastic converter embedded in your car and coupled with a pantone reactor.

There is the foot, I roll the plastic waste and I fill up in landfills.

arf, I have to stop science fiction :D
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 17/03/04, 20:28

much like in Back to the Future lol :D
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 01/04/04, 15:20

MisterLoXo wrote:much like in Back to the Future lol :D

:P
Yes !!!!, too cool, but good ..
What seems most interesting in history, this is the reuse of "masses" considerable plastic, without which it would be in nature, there, of course, there is a great interest! : Blink:
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 01/04/04, 15:23

MisterLoXo wrote:
And even without that, "My own car is working for two years with this fuel, says Umesh Zadgaonkar, and I never had any problems."

It seems to me a lot, but what about the chlorine and the whole shebang?

:P
I read a full article: Hazardous Materials are passivated and reused as possible (among other chlorine, passivated with calcium)
I'll see if I still have the link somewhere ... <_
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."