Hydrogen more energy than oil?

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Hydrogen more energy than oil?

by dreamer » 29/04/12, 17:21

Hello econolo surfer :)

Here is the source of my question: during several discussions with my colleagues, they maintain that hydrogen is a much more practical and powerful fuel than petroleum, but that if we do not use it, it is because of lobbies etc etc (tanker plot).

I looked around a bit and I'm not sure I understood everything.

It would seem that this is true in the case where one speaks of liquid hydrogen vs 1 L of petroleum (liquid also therefore)
But not when comparing volume for volume.
Is it this?

So hydrogen should be kept in the liquid state with all the complexity and energy that it requires, and when it is gaseous, it is also quite difficult to contain without leaks etc.
+ question of yields? But then, they say that since hydrogen is more energetic, the yields are necessarily better ...
One of them also talks about hydrogen doping for car engines, but I haven't really found a source on the net.
Does it exist? Is it working? Is it a mixture with pantone technology?

Finally, they also take as an example the fact of being able to produce natural gas yourself from its compost (they have a friend who does) and thus of being able to drive with its self-production.
I imagine that it is possible, but that it takes insane amounts of bio mass to manage to replace the normal consumption of a car in usual use?

Thank you for your clarifications :)

Dreamer
0 x
Fakir
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Hydrogen more energy than oil?

by Fakir » 29/04/12, 19:31

0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/04/12, 20:01

yes there is more energy in a 1 kg of hydrogen than 1 kg of gasoline

but 1kg of petrol can be put in a tank that weighs 10 grams! the weight of the tank is negligible

1kg of compressed hydrogen requires a 50 or 100kg tank: good for nothing

a liquid hydrogen tank is lighter, but the thermal insulation is not perfect, and produces a continuous and catastrophic loss of hydrogen: it will be the type to fill up a car and lose everything by evaporation in some days even if we don't drive ... it could only work for a vehicle used full time and whose tank we empty in another machine when we stop it ... big loss if we have to stop n matter where

the use of liquid hydrogen and fuel cell is efficient in space, because the vacuum of space allows to make a good insulation of the tanks, and that the electric consumption is continuous during all the voyage, and consumes more than there would be evaporation: therefore no loss

the fuel cell has a good return only in the dreams of those who believe in it: to have a better return than the combustion engine it must be too big and too expensive ... if the fuel cell and limited to a reasonable weight it has a lousy yield ... and a questionable lifespan when it is supplied with air instead of oxygen

the also advantage in space with liquid oxygen ...

supplied with air the slightest pollution of air puts the fuel cell out of order! do not drive behind smoking cars! or rather need a heavy air filter
0 x
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 29/04/12, 20:06

Thank you!

Complex subject ....
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/04/12, 20:14

Well above all, where does the hydrogen come from ???

Hydorigen is a "vector" not a source of energy. There is no "natural" source of H² ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/04/12, 20:17

and in addition a bad vector!

whoever has electrical energy to store or sell has no interest in transforming it into hydrogen

transforming energy into synthetic oil is a bit complicated but it works ... and the synthetic oil is storable transportable and salable without loss
0 x
Fakir
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Fakir » 29/04/12, 20:28

chatelot16 wrote:transforming energy into synthetic oil is a bit complicated but it works ... and the synthetic oil is storable transportable and salable without loss

Just to remind you, driving with solar H² is cheaper than driving with petrol.

Driving with solar gas is very expensive.
"Sellable without loss" is an interesting phrase ....
0 x
Fakir
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Fakir » 29/04/12, 20:29

Did67 wrote:Well above all, where does the hydrogen come from ???

Long live the solar H² !!!

Driving with solar H² is more economical than driving with petrol
0 x
Fakir
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Fakir » 29/04/12, 20:33

chatelot16 wrote:transforming energy into synthetic oil is a bit complicated but it works ... and the synthetic oil is storable transportable and salable without loss

Just to remind you, driving with solar H² is cheaper than driving with petrol.

Driving with solar gas is very expensive.
"Sellable without loss" is an interesting phrase ....

Did67 wrote:Well above all, where does the hydrogen come from ???

Long live the solar H² !!!

Driving with solar H² is more economical than driving with petrol

chatelot16 wrote:the fuel cell has a good return only in the dreams of those who believe in it: to have a better return than the combustion engine it must be too big and too expensive ... if the fuel cell and limited to a reasonable weight it has a lousy yield ... and a questionable lifespan when it is supplied with air instead of oxygen

Having better efficiency than an internal combustion engine is a given, even for the most shabby fuel cells ...

I invite you to review for the bac: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pile_%C3%A0_combustible

Do you work at Total?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/04/12, 22:21

we cannot compare the efficiency of gasoline engines actually obtained from then long with the figures of wikipedia without knowing on which machine they are obtained

the only fuel cell available for sale that I saw was a generator for camping: really shabby performance and huge price

I will start taking the fuel cells seriously when there are for sale

it's not just vehicles: if we could make fuel cells at a reasonable price it would start to be profitable for fixed power supply before being good for vehicle
0 x