Install a wind turbine in a tree?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
fredrsj8
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Install a wind turbine in a tree?

by fredrsj8 » 25/04/10, 11:33

Hello,

I was wondering (not knowing much about wind energy) if it was possible to install a small wind turbine (800 watts maximum) at the top of a tree that had been previously topped and pruned?

Basically cut the top of the tree to 10 or 12 meters (it's an ash of 20 meters), make a strong size of reduction in order to remove the maximum of windy hold while leaving him enough branches to live . Then fix the wind turbine on a small metal mast a meter or two at the top of the tree ...

I would not need an optimum performance of the wind turbine I'm just looking for a small extra for a cabanon in isolated site and being myself a lumberjack on Sunday and having a friend pruner / climber I thought it would be a beautiful economy and a beautiful integration of the wind turbine in the landscape ...

Looking forward to your enlightened opinions,

Sincerely,
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/04/10, 12:01

Poor 20m tree !!!
In addition the tree, once dead, rots quickly, and will fall and antiecological anti-food treatment will be ineffective !!!
Robinia rot less quickly.
Another solution is to use the very alive tree which moves strongly in the whirlwinds of the wind (to 20m), for with this reciprocating movement to rotate an alternator by means of ropes which pass on alternator pulleys like an alternators bike or car (a little fat) who straightened with 4 diodes in bridge charging batteries !!
The advantage is that all trees in the forest can be used and equipped without damaging them and more, developed, a patent is to take and profitable: all the forests of the world to equip !!
For a shed it should work by taking inspiration from the methods used for waves that give irregular alternating movements.
For this original idea, I can help you, as well as other mechanics on econology; At first try, a bike dynamo can be used with a cable passing on a pulley which drives a dynamo at high speed with each gust of wind, with a return spring for the return, or to use a cable in closed circuit with two pulleys .
A dozen trees roped up with tuned dynamos should make good energy in high winds.
Moreover plus the wind is strong with vortices useless by the usual wind turbines, more there will be movement and energy !!!
The forest is an ideal place for this ecological system !!!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/04/10, 12:14

There are commercially available (as also econologie.com) flashlights with dynamo and crank and Iithium battery for recharging, not expensive (between 8 and 20 €) that are suitable for a test test by replacing the crank with a small pulley on which passes a rope tied at the top of the tree !!
So it is possible to identify the difficulties without large investment in money and work, the electronics and mechanics of these dynamo lamps being made completely!
0 x
fredrsj8
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by fredrsj8 » 25/04/10, 12:43

Thank you for your answer, your system is very original.

Just for info: pruning a tree does not mean killing it ...

It is an ash tree that has grown naturally on these lands. It has not been planted by humans, so it is the best adapted to live in this environment. The robinia (Robinia pseudo-acacia) comes from Canada, I do not want to introduce myself new species within the local eco-system.
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: install a wind turbine in a tree?

by highfly-addict » 25/04/10, 14:02

fredrsj8 wrote:...
Basically cut the top of the tree to 10 or 12 meters (it's an ash of 20 meters), make a strong size of reduction in order to remove the maximum of windy hold while leaving him enough branches to live . Then fix the wind turbine on a small metal mast a meter or two at the top of the tree ... ....
.... and being a lumberjack on Sunday and having a friend pruner / climber I thought it would be a nice economy and a nice integration of the wind in the landscape ...

Looking forward to your enlightened opinions,

Sincerely,

Bonjour.

If you have a friend pruner / climber, ask him the question!

A tree is a living, dynamic and balanced system: the quantity of branches and leaves "corresponds" to the quantity of roots. If you unbalance the system (by pruning wildly as you plan to do), the tree will not stop finding its balance by exhausting itself producing more and more shoots.

I see two major disadvantages to this practice:

1) With an ash of 20 m, very vigorous, it will be necessary two prunings a year at least (autumn and end of spring),

2) Continually caused injuries are gateways for pathogens such as fungi, which will drastically reduce the lifespan of the tree ...

Amha, very bad idea.

PS: it's been a long time since the locust acclimatized here, it is no longer a "foreign" species.
Last edited by highfly-addict the 25 / 04 / 10, 14: 06, 1 edited once.
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/04/10, 14:04

I don't know where you are, but in the Paris region, there are a lot of "Robinia pseudo-accacia" which sprout spontaneously !!
The maximum wind gain is interesting for a wind turbine (large ones reach 100meters high), because the speed increases with the altitude with a more regular wind above the trees.
If you can, try what I propose at least in a small and simple way for an exploratory test.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 25/04/10, 20:31

interesting idea: the higher a wind turbine is, the more wind it has and the more powerful it is

when we have trees 20m and we build a wind turbine at the regulatory height of 12 m she looks con and has no wind

using the tree as a windmill mat is not stupid

if the wind turbine is too big it could uproot the tree but 800w on a big tree ca should hold

remains to find a good way to fix on the tree without killing it to stay solid long

I will not move the tree (except for a small branch misplaced) I would rather look for something to easily move the wind turbine as the tree will grow
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 25/04/10, 21:22

And in high wind the top of the tree will bend.

So a simple wind turbine, whose mast is attached to the top of the tree, the vertical position will pass obliquely, with less surface wind.

An automatic "feathering" for the poor man's wind turbine ...

: Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/04/10, 21:55

But why do you want to use a conventional wind turbine ???, while the tree with its surface sheets much higher than the ordinary wind turbine is shaken strongly with a force capable of operating alternators on the ground via ropes. or cables !!!
Nothing to install in the tree (just tie ropes) and the alternator intermittent as for the waves of the sea will be on the ground with pulleys for the ropes !!
In addition a very large number of trees can be used without trouble instead of a single wind turbine in the air!
Why do conventional wind and bored to install it up !!
While the wind shakes the top of the trees repeatedly by its whirlpools! It is enough to recover this unused energy, like that of the waves, here it is about the waves at the top of the trees which serve as converters by themselves !!!
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 25/04/10, 22:35

But why do you want to use a conventional wind turbine ???, while the tree with its surface sheets much higher than the ordinary wind turbine is shaken strongly with a force capable of operating alternators on the ground via ropes. or cables !!!

and winter?
let's be serious, it's delirious : Cry:

on the other hand the idea of ​​the mat in the tree pleases me well, in any case it is much more realistic 8)
0 x