Turbocharger = Turbine ... steam?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Sunflower
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Turbocharger = Turbine ... steam?

by Sunflower » 24/03/10, 11:31

Hello everyone.
For some time now I have been imagining the means of producing a few hundred Watts with steam produced by a boiler and by solar panels depending on the season.
I'm going to be told about Stirling and others ... I would prefer to start from material that already exists, which will have to be adapted, but which we can find easily and at a lower cost.
All this to come to my question could we use a car turbocharger as an engine / steam turbine. I absolutely do not know the flow / pressure required for rotation (very fast it seems to me), nor the mechanical power supplied by a basic passenger car turbo.
Thank you for lighting my lantern.
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 24/03/10, 13:13

hello sunflower
on a turbo you can only recover a fairly high air flow with a maximum pressure of less than 1 bar.
from the very design of the turbo you cannot use mechanical energy on the compressor side (imbalance of the chra and very rapid destruction of the bearings)
it is unsuitable for a steam turbine.

if you want to use steam you have to think about first safety and also water treatment at the risk of quickly destroying your generator
0 x
Sunflower
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Sunflower » 26/03/10, 09:20

Thank you for this clear and precise answer.
0 x