Problem of combustion or quality of wood on Gaudin

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
elenetienne
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Problem of combustion or quality of wood on Gaudin

by elenetienne » 21/01/10, 09:32

Hello,
I am looking for sound advice!
Pretty green at heart, I decided to heat my house with a Gaudin brand wood / coal stove, 10kw of power, manual adjustment.
On the advice of a friend of mine, I burn logs of compressed wood, the heat output being higher than that of "classic" wood. After 2 months of heating, I had to have my chimney pipe swept, which was completely clogged with soot!
The friend in question burns the same wood in his stove, and has no such problem.
Can someone enlighten my lantern?
A thousand times thank you!
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 21/01/10, 10:07

The duct is perhaps too large and / or cools the fumes too much: the draft is good on ignition or does it back up until the heat released is sufficient to initiate the draft?
A stainless steel duct cladding solves many problems ...
When you reduce the air intake of the stove too much (small power) it also produces more soot (incomplete combustion and the gases are less hot therefore more deposits ...
0 x
elenetienne
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by elenetienne » 21/01/10, 12:20

Apparently, there is no ignition draft problem, nor too much smoke! My duct is made of stainless steel, the size of the outlet of the stove (153 mm).
I was told by the person who installed the stove, that the compressed wood chutes were full of glue and that probably my concern for soot came from that ... wood bought in an organic cooperative!
I admit that I lose my Latin!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/01/10, 22:01

The compressed wood logs do not normally contain glue: it is lignin, a natural component of wood, which ensures the consistency of the "sausage".
Why not do an extended test with ordinary logs to see if the problem is related to this type of supply or not?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 25/01/10, 00:28

Hi and welcome to econology :D

Some of its logs are coated with wax, this one if the combustion temperature is too low, can emit soot seems to me ...

Could you paste a photo or the references of your Gaudin, is it cylindrical with a grid at the bottom?
rectangular with end door ...?

in your case if it is a complete burner, I would try to burn loose pellets 3.2 € the 15 kg bag, clean and findable (even in large areas) DIN standard and 6 to 8mm in diameter by putting not too much and by putting a strong mesh with a small mesh on the bottom grid, it should work ...

Meow of the eco-friendly cat

:P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/01/10, 21:37

Lietseu, you say:
Some of his logs are coated with wax ...

Are you sure? What is your claim based on?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
elenetienne
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by elenetienne » 29/01/10, 20:23

Here is a photo of the beast!
https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... RjYIE4.JPG[/ Img]
0 x
elenetienne
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by elenetienne » 29/01/10, 20:36

some details on my beast:
it is a Gaudin 10kw Grand Régence model (sic !!!), heating volume 400m3.
I'm going to give it a try with classic, dry wood that I just received after a second sweeping.
A priori, I should not have too many draw problems since I live in Ouessant, an island well known for the permanence of its winds!
0 x
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Combustion or wood quality problem on Gaudin

by swift2540 » 29/01/10, 20:37

elenetienne wrote:On the advice of a friend of mine, I burn logs of compressed wood, the heat output being higher than that of "classic" wood. After 2 months of heating, I had to have my chimney pipe swept, which was completely clogged with soot!

Are you using slow motion? = partial closing of the air supply
If yes, this explains that ...
Look at this page
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post157651.html#157651
Solution: put fewer logs at once or switch to ordinary wood.
0 x
Sometimes it is better to stop, reflect, and ask the right questions ...
elenetienne
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by elenetienne » 01/02/10, 01:03

Thank you all for your help! I believe I have a logical explanation for my combustion problem: I have a CMV that runs continuously in 4 rooms of the house, rooms of which I leave the doors open ... which creates a depression in the house and which reduces the stove draw.
The explanation comes to me from the firefighters whom I have just brought in for a fire in my chimney flue!
0 x