Installation of a pico hydroelectric plant at home

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
vinio
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Installation of a pico hydroelectric plant at home

by vinio » 15/09/09, 11:20

Hello everybody

I think I'm in the right forum to post this kind of subject.
Here, I would like to use the current configuration of my house in the Pyrenees mountain (700m altitude) which was an old mill to produce electricity.
When I say old mill, there is still a horizontal blade turbine that was used to drive a belt and a dynamo (220 continuous) to run a stone factory.
Now this installation is old and obsolete and will probably not be used anymore.

My project would be to operate the feeder canal (which comes at the end of a mountain stream) that poured into a pool of 40m3 next to the house. This basin would be used to install a turbine + alternator.

But I have big doubts about the viability of the project:

The channel delivers about 25l / s in the summer, so we can be sure it's the minimum flow. I have not done any measurements in winter and spring but I think we reach the 50l / s easy.

The height of fall would be 2,5m and at the maximum 3m (pond floor).

Apparently there are small turbines adapted to small streams but which only provide power 500W. They consist of blades with a kind of forced pipe for water over the entire height of fall.
Is it the only system that exists? I also saw Banki or Crossflow turbines.

It should therefore provide batteries I imagine to run a washing machine and a dishwasher at the same time ...

And a basin desilter because the creek carries a lot of sand.

If not for the fish, the feed channel is currently diverted by a nozzle in the river but if I use the water for the turbine, how will the fish to go up if there is more than one net of water ?? And it is better to predict it because if a fishing federation comes to discover that the fish do not go up or can not go down again it can bard!
I have idea to capture some of the water from the river a little higher to compensate for this effect.

Thank you for your opinions!

Vinio

:? :?
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 15/09/09, 12:38

Cordial welcome Vinio!

You live in paradise, say so!

For fish: fish ladder: series of small bins with 20-30 cm drop
If your paddlewheel was turned it was working. Does the wheel turn again? What is the power of the dynamo? Converting direct current to AC or voltage to charge batteries is no longer a big problem: it is in the range of solar panel inverters.

If you could publish sketches or photos, we would be happy! :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
vinio
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by vinio » 15/09/09, 14:01

Hi Elephant,

Thank you for your hospitality.
The power of the wheel: 22 horses-water.
In fact this installation is old and it is a chain of trees, wheels and gables and I think it must be a bit noisy moreover.
That's why I want to make a new installation and more modern and easier to maintain, etc ...

For photos, it will not tell you much, for cons I think a good drawing will be welcome.

I prepare a sketch and post it later.

But it is certain that we will not get the same power between a turbine that works with the drop height and the impeller that was working with the water pressure (a valve was used to adjust the opening of the chute for the water). admission of water).
But this installation was very effective during 1 hour then when the basin was empty, it was necessary to re-fill ....

To all
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 15/09/09, 14:56

Very nice: the work schedule was as follows:

- 9 time: work
- 10 coffee break
- 11 hours: return to work
- 12 hours: balls - aperitif
- 13 hours: lunch
- 14h30: nap
- 16h00: resumption of work
- 17h00: tea
- 18h00 resumption of work

22 CV for an hour, it's already a nice part of the heating of the house
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
vinio
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by vinio » 15/09/09, 17:29

Ok 8) .
More seriously, you do not have tracks concerning this probable future central that I would like to put in place?
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 15/09/09, 19:00

To give you an idea I have at home 400l seconds and 3.5m in height I actually produce 6 kw continuously. with 25l second and 2.5m high it's not much there are formulas to calculate if I find I send but I believe it is somewhere on the site.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/09/09, 19:13

Maybe it is possible to take advantage of the fall by doing a "penstock" ... It all depends on the height of the fall. So no need to wait for it to fill up. On the other hand, it will be necessary to play with the flow rate and the diameter of the pipe. Who can calculate that?

PS: dslé Elephant, but if it works continuously, there will be no more breaks : Cheesy:
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 15/09/09, 19:19

There are machines there that roughly co-respond to your stream, it's Vietnamese ... about 200w on 24h or 4.8kwh per day
avenir-energies.com/hydrau.html

with some lead batteries
Power is flow x height
0 x
caribou
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by caribou » 15/09/09, 19:26

In fact this installation is old and it is a chain of trees, wheels and gables and I think it must be a bit noisy moreover.
That's why I want to make a new installation and more modern and easier to maintain, etc ...

A new installation will probably be more efficient but ... it is not safe and certain however.
Look at this very pleasant report:
http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSe ... oadprogram
The guy says at one point that the installation may be very old, it does not have to be ashamed in the face of a more modern question of performance ...
In your place I would think twice before dismantling the old one.
In addition the flow seems similar to yours, the waterfall less.
0 x
vinio
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by vinio » 15/09/09, 20:46

Dsl, I can't watch your video, I have Linux and it is capricious Linux sometimes.
In addition, I am not talking about dismantling the old turbine because it would require a crane to lift it and after having unsealed the steel beams. Unless you volunteer to do it :-).

Raymon, when you say it's Vietnamese, what do you mean by that ???????? I did not know that the Vietnamese produced turbines at 1500 € each.
I had already seen this type of turbine and I think that which produces 500W could be the most suitable. It is therefore within the reach of a handyman but it lacks good advice.
And so you have a turbine installed at home. What type of turbine is it? What is the configuration of your installation? I know that makes a lot of questions but I would like to know how other people are doing or have done to implement a plant.
You are totally independent of EDF? Or maybe you sell him some power but that would surprise me. Do you have water rights? Obliged to install fish ladders?

The thank you box
0 x