Homemade wind turbine, neodymium magnets, glue and demagnetization

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
rapheco
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Homemade wind turbine, neodymium magnets, glue and demagnetization

by rapheco » 03/09/09, 10:37

Hello,

After my work on solar panels, I am now leaning towards the wind alternative. Not by completely abandoning solar, but to consider coupling the two solutions on my on-board modules.

I am currently looking to make a homemade wind turbine from an old ceiling fan. To optimize its performance, I decided to line its perimeter with extremely powerful magnets made of a neodymium iron boron alloy.
Before ordering these magnets on the internet I got several from the hard drives of old PCs only I have a problem to separate them from their support.
Each magnet is stuck very strongly to a piece of metal which affects the efficiency of my assembly. So I tried to peel them off by melting the glue in the oven. it only worked the magnet ended up demagnetized ...
So I need an easy-to-use method to re-magnetize my magnets. If this is not possible, do you know of a method to remove my hard drive magnets from another?

Thank you
0 x
Raphael Malavieille
Eseco systems
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 03/09/09, 11:41

Hello, I would also like the solution! :D

I had seen, for the speaker magnets, to take off the washer, where you had to heat, with a directive flame, sparingly the iron and rotate the magnet at the right time or to tap a little blow to take off for save a little time on the heating time which demagnetizes the ferrite.

Hard disks, I peeled a few ...
Most of their Neomydium magnets have the particularity of having 2 poles on one side, and the reverse on the other side. So with a neutral line in the middle.
If you want to separate them, you have to grind them a little, and break them clean in a vice, following the principle of cutting a window.
But OK…

With their rounded shapes and the S and N which follow one another, they lend themselves to the manufacture of a rotor for a generator.

The first magnets sometimes had the particularity of being monopoles. An S pole and next to another N magnet.
They were thin and sometimes stuck together. There were also some soft and well glued. Suffice to say that it's dead to take them off, because they break (hard red magnets in the photo).

For a rotor, you can use them even with the magnetic shield behind, grinding out any junk that sticks out as needed. But only one side will be effective rather than using both sides of your rotor.

Subsequently the magnets were larger, always bipolar, but one copy per DD.
Often simply wedged on their support, therefore easily separable with a lever blade and sliding.
Sometimes there is a little glue.
But there, no problem, by taking the end of the support in a vice and hitting a sharp blow on the edge of the magnet with a hammer through a piece of hard wood, or soft metal. The magnet comes off and rotates (right and middle magnets in the photo).

Now, if there is a solvent, I am a taker. Maybe the cyanoacrylate one.

0 x
rapheco
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rapheco » 03/09/09, 11:54

Wouha, what a complete answer! Thank you

I have just tried your idea of ​​detaching a magnet with a little blow of a chisel once it is fixed on a vise, it works very well. Now I have the impression that it has diminished its potency. Weird.

I will now break them in half and stack them to define the poles! North South
0 x
Raphael Malavieille

Eseco systems
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 03/09/09, 12:15

Hello,

To take off the magnets from the hard drives I take the support in the jaws of a vice and I bend their magnet support outwards. Effortless take-off guaranteed on the magnet! (Even the red ones)

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 03/09/09, 12:18

Normally very few glues are resistant to boiling water. it remains to be seen whether the neodymium demagnetization T °, ​​which is very low, is not reached. Another problem: if poorly protected, oxidizes very quickly

(but then why am I doing this intervention : Cry: ? )
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
rapheco
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rapheco » 03/09/09, 14:35

Well, now I have another problem ... Despite all my efforts to surround my rotating coils with magnets, I get nearly 60 Volts, but not enough power to properly power a 0,6 Watt lamp. However, I saw an American handyman on Youtube powering a 60W lamp with a similar system.

My magnets are 14 in number on the outer crown of the fan core, about 2 cm from the coils, maybe it's too big a gap to hope to produce more energy. What do you think?
0 x
Raphael Malavieille

Eseco systems
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 03/09/09, 14:51

Yes, in an engine or an alternator the distances are of the order of a millimeter, sometimes less: the magnetic circuit must be looped. Do your coils have a core or are they on air?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
rapheco
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rapheco » 03/09/09, 15:03

I couldn't tell you if my coils are on core or air ...
They are almost identical to the ones you can see on this video at 25 seconds, however.

After, still according to this video, the magnets do not seem very close to the coils either.
0 x
Raphael Malavieille

Eseco systems
rapheco
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rapheco » 03/09/09, 15:43

0 x
Raphael Malavieille

Eseco systems
rapheco
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by rapheco » 07/09/09, 16:27

Well, after many manipulations and experiments of all kinds with my ceiling fan, I did not manage to draw more than the dynamo of my bike ... Or something like 2 Watts.

When I compare this value to those obtained by other self-builders across the net using the same methods as me a priori, I do not arrive at 3% of the results announced.

I think this difference comes from the experimental parameters which greatly influence the efficiency of an electromagnetic process. An optimized system can be very efficient, but the slightest failure of a magnet can make it unnecessary.

Maybe buying ready-made wind generators is the solution
0 x
Raphael Malavieille

Eseco systems