Boiler for cast iron-aluminum radiator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
kris35
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Boiler for cast iron-aluminum radiator

by kris35 » 08/03/09, 17:40

Hello, I am new and I quickly browsed the forum without seeing a clear answer to my question. If I missed something, do not hesitate to send me a referral ...

Here is my problem: I have just bought in Redon (35) a house to renovate year 1972, 75 m2 on the ground on two floors + 44m2 of an adjoining garage to be converted into living space
Existing:
- heating system with cast-aluminum radiators and oil-fired boiler in poor condition (in the house, not in the garage)
- Single glazing openings
- Non-insulated walls (cinder block + brick with a layer of surface between the two).

My question:
in addition to changing the openings and redoing the insulation (external insulation by Diffutherm or similar + insulation by injection of microbeads on a facade that cannot be dressed, and hemp panels + Fermacell for the roof), we would like to change the boiler with the following possibilities (we exclude fuel oil and gas):
- keep the heating circuit and connect a heat pump / aerothermal unit with the power allowing correct operation of the radiators (disadvantages: cost and electricity consumption of the heat pump)
- change the radiators by low temperatures allowing to put a smaller heat pump, therefore less expensive and less "electrifying"
- Put a pellet / pellet or wood boiler, but I do not know the compatibility with cast-aluminum radiators, nor the longevity of these boilers
- another system that I have not thought of?

Clarification: it is not possible to put a heated floor in the existing one, on the other hand we would perhaps put one (if compatible with the chosen system) in the adjoining garage of 44m2 that we are going to fit out.
On the other hand, we also plan to install a cast iron wood stove (type Godin Jurassien) in the middle of the house.

Thank you for your advice / experiences for a good ecological / economic compromise :?
0 x
Did67

Re: Boiler for cast-aluminum radiator

by Did67 » 10/03/09, 12:53

kris35 wrote:
- Put a pellet / pellet or wood boiler, but I do not know the compatibility with cast-aluminum radiators, nor the longevity of these boilers

Compatibility: no problem; the boilers manage all the possible circuits; they can manage several circuits (a radiator circuit + a low temperature underfloor heating circuit + a hot water circuit), at least for the most sophisticated models ... So that is not the problem.

Longevity: no definitive answer (the technology is relatively recent); in my opinion (but I am "pro-pellets" and "anti-PAC"), the longevity is at least equivalent to the PAC (or even higher: no joints, etc ...) ... For info, Hargassner gives a 7 year warranty! Okofen, it's 5 years ... That gives an idea all the same.

The question to be asked first: availability of pellets in bulk (100 km around); what price ? how many resellers (if only one, beware of bankruptcy ...).

Finally: do not forget that the tax credits will go from 40% this year (invoicing in 2009) to 25% from 2010. So do not wait too long !!! (there will be congestion among good installers at the end of 2009, it is more than probable).
0 x
kris35
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kris35 » 10/03/09, 13:01

Did67 wrote:The question to be asked first: availability of pellets in bulk (100 km around); what price ? how many resellers (if only one, beware of bankruptcy ...).

Thank you for your opinion!
I know there is at least one right next door (10km) which notably offers KMP Uno boilers (which look pretty good) and wood pellets. I have already read discussions on the subject of supply, and the evolution of the prices of pellets, it is certain that it is difficult to know today what will happen in a few years. .. But here in Brittany we are quite far from forests and countries like Germany where these products are more available ...!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/03/09, 13:19

kris35 wrote:I know there is at least one right next door (10km) which notably offers KMP Uno boilers (which look pretty good) and wood pellets. I have already read discussions on the subject of supply, and the evolution of the prices of pellets, it is certain that it is difficult to know today what will happen in a few years. .. But here in Brittany we are quite far from forests and countries like Germany where these products are more available ...!

Already a point!

I do not know this brand.

Germany yes, it is a guarantee of security of supply because there are very professional and powerful sectors (units that can go to several hundreds of thousands of tons just on the other side of the Rhine!). But prices are currently being pulled up by the multiplication of medium-power installations (such as buildings, retirement homes, etc.), in addition to the 100 boilers already installed and a decrease in the volumes of sawn timber (therefore amount of sawdust).
0 x
kris35
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kris35 » 10/03/09, 13:25

For information:
http://poelesgranules-kmp.ouvaton.org/index.php?z=7
(I think it's not advertising ...)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/03/09, 08:21

kris35 wrote:For information:
http://poelesgranules-kmp.ouvaton.org/index.php?z=7
(I think it's not advertising ...)

Ben, this is an advertising brochure! But not all advertising is false !!!

There is indeed a "Nordic branch" in the production of pellet boilers, little known in France.

This one seems to me to be part of it. A comparable production is that of Aritherm:

http://www.ariterm.se/32_Domestic_nbsp_Pellets

A priori, I think there is experience behind ... Worth some attention, no doubt.
0 x