How to generate power by burning wood?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
toucantoto
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

How to generate power by burning wood?

by toucantoto » 08/01/09, 13:32

Hello and happy new year to everyone,

I have a lot of wood where I am, but no electricity.
I would like to be able to build a system that would allow me to train alternators, or asynchronous generators to have current 220?

Thank you
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/01/09, 13:35

Hi :

SOLO Stirling 161 e tinkering with a fireplace to heat.

ou

Sun Stirling Machine HolzPellet

Both being more prototypes than versions sold on a large scale.

Provide a shredder for automatic feeding.

You can do heat + electricity cogeneration

@+
0 x
cunseulair
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cunseulair » 08/01/09, 13:47

The sun machine works with pellets which is not shredded wood and even less raw wood which you have in a remote corner according to your message.
So there's a rustic stirling machine or a gas generator like in 40
0 x
The future is not in the rearview mirror
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/01/09, 14:02

Hello,

That's why I said to have a shredder, preferably fine, to adapt to the small particle size of the pellet.

The gasifier does not produce mechanical work, but only a combustible gas ... Efficiency not very good in addition.

Which can be - with difficulty - burned in an internal combustion engine.

The gasifier is a bit of a hassle.

I've been studying the cogeneration market for a long time and to my knowledge, only these 2 are technically a bit successful (SOLO and Sun Machine). It is a completely abandoned sector, there is no major commercial offer in this area for individuals.

Otherwise, you have the steam engine solution: simple and robust. But you have to find one and retype it.
0 x
toucantoto
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by toucantoto » 08/01/09, 14:16

Thank you for your quick responses, I will study all of this.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 08/01/09, 15:39

Remundo wrote:Hello,

That's why I said to have a shredder, preferably fine, to adapt to the small particle size of the pellet.

The gasifier does not produce mechanical work, but only a combustible gas ... Efficiency not very good in addition.

Which can be - with difficulty - burned in an internal combustion engine.

The gasifier is a bit of a hassle.

Yes, it's not easy, otherwise, we wouldn't discuss it, we would ... :?

The gasifier allowed a lot of people to move during the long fuel shortages (WWII).
There are still some diehards who continue to use this mode of propulsion. (I sometimes see a couple go by jeep with gas and a trailer loaded with wood ...)

So, yes, diesel, it works, it is binding for a car, much less for a fixed installation at home.

The typical assembly includes a gas-fired boiler supplying gas to a generator.
The advantage will be to reuse the heat released by the boiler and the heat engine for central heating or domestic hot water (DHW).
Be careful not to pump too many calories on the boiler and the engine stops at the risk of degrading their operation.

Question yield, it is less obvious ...
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 08/01/09, 23:05

Remundo wrote:Hi :

SOLO Stirling 161 e tinkering with a fireplace to heat.

ou

Sun Stirling Machine HolzPellet

Both being more prototypes than versions sold on a large scale.

Provide a shredder for automatic feeding.

You can do heat + electricity cogeneration

@+

Found by chance on the net:
SOLO STIRLING GmbH becomes Stirling Systems GmbH
Dear Visitor,

At the beginning of June insolvency proceedings were started against the assets of SOLO STIRLING GmbH. At the beginning of June insolvency proceedings were initiated against the property of SOLO STIRLING GmbH. Lack of liquidity was the prime reason for that company to cease operation. Lack of liquidity was the main reason for this company to cease operations.
Stirling Systems AG, with head office in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, acquired from the liquidator all rights and patents as well as the remaining current assets. Stirling Systems AG, with headquarters in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, has acquired from the trustee all rights and patents, as well as the other current assets. This acquisition provides a unique opportunity for Stirling Systems to extend its range. This acquisition is a unique opportunity for Stirling Systems to expand its distribution area. The current 1-kw unit which has just successfully finished a two year field test will be complemented by the 9-kW Solo unit. The current 1 kw unit which has completed a two year test period will be complemented by the 9-Solo kW unit.
"With this addition Stirling Systems AG becomes the leading global supplier of micro-cogeneration units based on the Stirling technology" explains Gabriel Schneider, Managing Director of Stirling Systems AG. "With this addition, Stirling Systems AG becomes the world's leading supplier of micro-cogeneration units based on Stirling technology", explains Gabriel Schneider, Managing Director of Stirling Systems AG. Sascha Luft, former Managing Director of SOLO Stirling GmbH and now also in the same position at Stirling Systems GmbH, adds: "The prospect of establishing Solo's 9kW unit in the market, supported by Stirling Systems is a great opportunity. Both parties are excited to take up this exceptional challenge. "Sascha Luft, former managing director of Stirling SOLO GmbH and now also in the same situation at Stirling Systems GmbH, adds:" The prospect of establishing Solo's 9kW unit in the market , supported by Stirling Systems is a great opportunity. Both sides are very happy to take on this exceptional challenge. "

The technology inherited from Solo will be continuously improved by the newly formed Stirling Systems GmbH - a 100% subsidiary company of Stirling Systems AG. This technology inherited from Solo will be continuously improved by the new Stirling Systems GmbH - a wholly-owned subsidiary of Stirling Systems AG. The objective is to start selling an optimized micro-cogeneration range in the spring / summer of 100. The objective is to start selling an optimization of micro-cogeneration in the spring / summer 2008 range. Until then test units only will be delivered to interested partners. Until then the test units will only be delivered to interested partners.

Yours faithfully, Please accept, Sir,

Stirling Systems GmbH Stirling Systems GmbH

Gabriel Schneider & Sascha Luft Gabriel Schneider and Sascha Luft
Management Management
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 09/01/09, 19:27

: Cheesy: if you go get one, think of me
Total Energy Independence
The ST-5 was designed for those who cannot get on easily and have made electricity grid economically or completely uncertain about reliance on utilities to supply their electricity needs. If you need electricity in remote places where the electricity grid is not a feasible proposition; have suffered the inconvenience of the grid outage, wish to avoid utility forecasts "rate shocks", have found the internal combustion engine undesirable to safeguard your photovoltaic or wind system; actively seek alternative sources of energy for your safety and peace of mind, or simply if you desire a self-contained home energy system for your home or greenhouse, the ST-5 may be the solution you need. search.
The ST-5 The ST-5
. The ST-5 is a robust engine designed to produce more than 5 CV of reliable mechanical power and on demand, directly from a variety of renewable energy sources and gaseous fuels.
Its external combustion Stirling cycle eliminates spark plugs, fuel injection systems, mufflers, harmful vapors and, very clearly, the noise of internal combustion engines.
. This lack of complexity associated with the use of high quality sealed bearings and long service life impregnated with Teflon seals, eliminates the need for mess and oil changes allows a long and trouble free engine life. The ST-5 has been designed to be useful to the user with a basic minimum of hand tools.

. Most important of all, almost any combustible material is a good fuel for the ST-5.
. Acceptable between the different fuels are wood, wood pellets, husks and straw, shell, weeds and hay, cotton waste, other agro-by-products, and natural gas.
. This wide variety of suitable fuels ensures that you are able to produce your own fuel on your own property.

The ST-5 System and Operation The ST-5 and the system operation

. ST-5 The system has two main components - the ST-5 (engine) and the burner.
The function of the burner is to provide heat for heating the ST-5 head, which is inserted into the burner.
Two burner options are now available for the ST-5.
. A cyclone is a burner for small particles of fuel such as sawdust or other shredded biomass. . The second is a two-story wooden burner.
. Fuel is injected into the burner, either manually, as is the case with wood, or through a hopper burner, if small particles of fuel are used.
Gaseous fuels may be used in the cyclone of the burner by modifying the orifice.
The wood burner can contain enough fuel to run the engine at full power for two to four hours (depending on the wood used).

. In order to obtain the high temperatures necessary for engine operation, the two burners of a forced air fan.
Once the engine is started, the fan is managed by the ST-5 itself.
. Before the engine can be started, however, the fan must be operated for 10 minutes, either by a starter battery or by hand until the heating to temperature has reached the head.
Once the temperature is high enough (the ST-5 will start at temperatures around 950o F), a simple pull on the flywheel starts the engine.
. Once the temperature of this engine is an easy and safe way to start, eliminating the need for multiple pulls on a rope that recoil is often experienced with conventional engines.

Just like the ST-5 takes only a few minutes between the time you fire it until the time you launch it, it takes a little time to come to a stop even after the fuel supply has been cut off .
. This is because the heat retained in the head unit is sufficient to allow it to operate for 10 to 15 minutes, but at lower power.

. The cooling loop works like any automotive cooling system. A small pump, operated by the engine, circulates the coolant (water or water and glycol) through an automotive radiator, while a fan mounted on the steering wheel blows air into radiators and discharges of unused heat into the atmosphere.
(Automatic translation) :?
Here is the internet source:
http://www.stirling-tech.com/gallery.html
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 10/01/09, 21:41

An interesting site that speaks pretty well about stirling, with addresses:
http://www.eco-energie.ch/content/view/110/47/
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 10/01/09, 22:03

Oops 5000 euros for 500 watt
http://www.uwemoch.de/
0 x