Thickness and strength of tempered glass

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
touisk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Thickness and strength of tempered glass

by touisk » 04/01/09, 14:38

Hello,

I am new and very interested in solar heating.

After having visited various sites concerning the self-construction of a solar panel, some points remain suspended. Especially since opinions differ on the choice of glazing: tempered glass or polycarbonate?
Laminated glass would seem too fragile when it comes to temperature variations according to some experiences that some of you have had bad experiences with. As for polycarbonate, it would become opaque after a few years, thus affecting the efficiency of the panels. Even the so-called "UV-resistant" panels become opaque (according to some brands).

So I lean towards tempered glass.

My crucial question is to know if a tempered glass plate from 4mm to 6mm making 1,22m x 2,50m would be resistant enough for such a dimension. I observed that a panel of such a dimension could have distortions. A plate of tempered glass may or may not distort.

Thank you for your informed opinions and experiences.

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/09, 16:13

We have simple glass (called ice by the professionals) of 4 mm and it has withstood (inclement weather, including hailstones) for 20 years. Obviously you can not walk on it or even lean on the knee for example (we broke several repairing windows that had slipped).

I do not think it is soaked but the windows are only 135 * 60 cm.

Here are some photos: https://www.econologie.com/forums/photos-mai ... t5283.html

0 x
touisk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by touisk » 04/01/09, 17:04

hi Christophe

Superb photo of your installation. I am surprised when you tell me that it is simple glass (ice cream as you say). If your installation is 20 years old I understand better. I had an appriori on this simple glass, 4mm more!

Your signs are fixed. For mine, still under construction, I do not yet have a final location. It will first be tested on the south side to see its performance, so travel is to be expected.

My installation is a solar air heating (cansolair type) for which I hesitate between a polycarbonate or tempered glass (6 mm view dimensions: 1,22m x 2,50m). In view of the price I still prefer to ask for advice ;-)

Ma THREE great fear, as he tends to have a slight distortion, I'm afraid of break the window during handling.
I admit that polycarbonate does not attract me because I do not want to change it after a few years.

So my choice can be summarized as follows: risk of breaking a window or using ploycarbonate which becomes cloudy. 6mm will they be enough for tempered glass? Duration of the "clear phase" of polycarbonate? (Even the pros I interviewed expect 4 years before it is opaque).

Sincerely,
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 04/01/09, 17:45

For polycarbonate requests to member, member of forum, it has 40 m2 of polycarbonate solar panels and this lasted more than 4 years.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/09, 17:57

I thought that the installation of Cuicui was more than 4 years old?

Otherwise given the price of polycarbonate currently I doubt that it is an interesting choice. Surely that was not the case when Cuicui made his own?

Regarding the risk of breakage, can you not consider doing it in two 2 m high windows?

For the price of glass I paid (April 2008) for 4 * 600 * 1350mm glass: € 30 including VAT, or € 37 per m² anyway ... but I saw some plastics at € 90 per m² or more. .
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 04/01/09, 18:14

Bonjour à tous

Regarding tempered glass and its resistance, I give you a tip:
I recently changed the double glazing that was twenty years old on my roof windows by the more efficient double glazing in 4-16-4 low emissivity.
I of course kept the old 1m x 1m glazing, which remained perfectly transparent, but the joints were no longer waterproof and mist formed inside.
Roof windows are generally arranged at an angle equivalent to solar panels and have good weather resistance.
I recently spoke with installers from a famous brand of this material who admitted to me that the dismantled glazing went to the landfill and that they would have no problem putting it aside! If you can adapt to a standard size and make recovery it is ideal.

A+
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 04/01/09, 19:01

Christophe wrote:I thought that the installation of Cuicui was more than 4 years old?

What I wanted to say is that cuicui changed his plates once in ... 20 years (? Remember more what he said) and that his first plates made at least 1 years without concern for clouding .
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 04/01/09, 19:15

The poly carbonate in greenhouses is guaranteed for 10 years against yellowing.

Between the 2 there is the PMMA (plexiglass)
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
touisk
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by touisk » 04/01/09, 21:08

Otherwise given the price of polycarbonate currently I doubt that it is an interesting choice.

Indeed, given the price of polycarbonate I prefer to put glass that does not turn yellow (even if it can last for more than 10 years).
In my corner I have polycarbonate at 185 Eur / m2, safety glass (ie tempered) for 120 Eur / m2. in 6mm.

For the price of glass I paid (April 2008) for 4 * 600 * 1350mm glass: € 30 including VAT, or € 37 per m² anyway ... but I saw some plastics at € 90 per m² or more. .

It is clear that now I will think twice before putting on safety or polycarbonate since a simple glass can be enough! (even if 6mm in my case would be more suitable)

@+
0 x
cunseulair
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cunseulair » 04/01/09, 21:40

Nobody talks about double glazing! is there anything to gain by using it on sensors
The glass is much more flexible than you think and there is little risk that it will break by deformation of the frame, the tempered glass is used to limit the risks in case of breakage but it is not bcp more resistant, laminate should be used for this
0 x
The future is not in the rearview mirror

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."