Domestic hot water in summer: boiler or electric?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
logredudon
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Domestic hot water in summer: boiler or electric?

by logredudon » 23/12/08, 11:52

Hello,

I have a ganulate okofen boiler which also produces domestic hot water. My water heater is mixed.
What do you advise me to do during sunny days (that is to say the period during which we no longer heat): continue to produce hot water by the boiler or switch to electric production?

Goods.
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 23/12/08, 12:18

Hello

Just to find out if you've ever considered it:

The solar water heater

A+
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 23/12/08, 12:41

: Arrow: Well the solar water heater is rather overpriced and impossible to amortize unless you negotiate it as accurately as possible and install it yourself ... € 8000 in France posed for less than € 200 in China or Turkey, for example ... : Evil:

I also asked myself the question if it was wiser to turn off my gas boiler in the summer to replace the gas water heater (from 1991) with its pilot light turned on 24 hours a day by a well insulated electric water heater ... :?:
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 23/12/08, 12:56

Hi Citro

It is clear that the return on investment of a turnkey solar thermal installation (even CESI only) is not possible given the prices charged today by professionals.
Blame it on the subsidies or not, the prices are "inflated" by the installers but we must not kick this formula which has a real ecological interest (unlike some which only increase our energy dependence on non-renewable)

Now, anyone who lives in a sunny region, who is a handyman and motivated, can very well do self-installation, for a budget that has nothing to do with that mentioned above (and which is incidentally quite fact realistic)

A+
0 x
logredudon
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by logredudon » 23/12/08, 13:49

Indeed today ecology does not rhyme with economy.

It is true that over 15 years we may find ourselves there but for the immediate purchase, that makes a hell of an additional cost.
An example, I had monomur built (1st additional cost), I had a pellet boiler installed (2nd additional cost), and I would have liked to insulate the attic with wood wool, but it's 4 5 times more expensive than glass wool !!!! And you have to find the artisans who do it !!!
The solar water heater, I also thought about it, but as has been said, it is an additional cost of € 8000.
And the tax credit is not touched for 1 or 2 years ...

So for now, the perfect eco-friendly house, only Croesus can afford it ...

If not to return to my initial question:
I have a ganulate okofen boiler which also produces domestic hot water. My water heater is mixed.
What do you advise me to do during sunny days (that is to say the period during which we no longer heat): continue to produce hot water by the boiler or switch to electric production?

Goods.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 23/12/08, 14:12

I also have an okofen and 2 years ago, I had made measurements on 2 times 15 days: 15 days with the water heater on "electric"; 15 days with the boiler by measuring the consumption of pellets (in the boiler hopper)
the only uncertainty in my measurement was the actual consumption of hot water because I did not have a volume meter on the water heater. it is therefore an estimate considering that our daily water consumption habits were the same over the 2 periods.

in short, I would have to bring out the exact results but from memory, the energy consumption was about double with the DHW produced by the boiler. it is indeed necessary to heat the water of the boiler in addition to that of the tank and the thermal losses are higher.
on the other hand, the "granulated" kWh being about half the price of the off-peak electric kWh, the final cost was about the same.
0 x
Click my signature
Did67

by Did67 » 28/12/08, 12:10

logredudon wrote:[color = red] I have a ganulate okofen boiler which also produces domestic hot water. My water heater is mixed.

Goods.

What do you want to be told ????

Dirk situated the question from an energy point of view.

I solved it in an affective way: I (I already had) a solar water heater. Profitability ??? I hope to recover the stake over 15 years, if I don't have a breakdown. My estimates made after 4 years, based on the meter of the regulation unit and that of the circuit water meter confirm this. Rather a little less: tendency to go towards the 12 years ... with the energy costs which increase.

But I claim that a shower taken with solar hot water is psychologically better !!! The simple fact of not having a boiler that starts, um, it's good!

So for me (but this is only valid for me), the satisfactory combination is pellets + solar. But you have to be able to align the invoices ...

The solution that I hate, because semi-nuclear, is pellets + electric. But it is essential if the budget is decisive. I totally respect the one who tells me: I can't !!! (unless, moreover, he blazes a fortune in exorbitant cars without ever questioning the "profitability" of his car).

AND the interrogative solution is the pellets alone. Interrogative, because what impact on the life of the boiler (by dint of starting Cold, so going through a phase of condensation before the body is warm enough, once a day) ??????? If it wasn't for this point, I would advise you to "waste" some pellets ...

So there you are, no more advanced. Compromise is always a personal choice. It is the choice that seems the least bad to you when you do it ...

I wrote it elsewhere, I put it back: I am not part of the ayatollahs of this (the people for whom there is only one solution).

Corollary: if someone answers your question in the affirmative and imperative, check that it is not an ayatollah of something.
0 x