Forestry and wood energy

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Forestry and wood energy

by Woodcutter » 05/07/06, 15:44

citro wrote:We are no longer too much in the subject, but there has been creation of a new ecosystem, a model of sustainable development where the forest has replaced the marshy moor and "sterile" by draining the soil, regulating the hydrology ... favoring a new bio diversity ... this poor region then became prosperous.
"new ecosystem, model of sustainable development"? mwoué ... :? we do not agree on it but maybe it's just a problem of semantics ...

The marshy moor is "sterile" ( : Shock: ) that for the man who seeks to make a profit ...
In itself, it's a very interesting medium.

The biodiversity of an exploited forest is much less ... As I said before, it's a culture, not a system in balance!
Hydrological regulation, that would surprise me! Drying and drainage, yes but it's not a regulation, it's just a change in environmental conditions.

As you say in the end, this transformation is only due to an economic will.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 05/07/06, 15:57

Philippe Schutt wrote:the forest descended to 15% of the country because it was looted and not replanted. I do not think that taking this as a reference is a good idea. It would be like telling a patient that he is in good health by comparing him to a dying person.
: shock: I admit that I do not understand what you are referring to ...

Philippe Schutt wrote:As long as one burns wood one pollutes, it is only the new tree planted in replacement of the one one has cut that will depollute if he lives long enough. And as long as this tree is small, there will be a chlorophyle deficiency. In fact, to do well, it would be necessary to plant now, to heat in 50 years. And use a PAC in the meantime ...
What do you call "pollute"?
The advantage of burning wood in a problematic "CO2" is that you ribs on the atmospheric carbon cycle ...

Plants (chlorophyllians as you mention) use, as soon as they start growing and until the end of their life, the atmospheric CO2 to produce biomass that will be used after as fuel, releasing CO2 in the atmosphere that then serves as tank.
But the cycle is carried out at the scale of the growing season, not on the life of the tree!
A forest should be considered as a set that produces each year, for example about 20 m3 / ha / year for poplar or 2 m3 / ha / year for oak (but denser).

I do not understand the story of "chlorophyll deficiency"...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 05/07/06, 21:30

Pfuuut ... Bad idea, Christophe .... I should have continued in HS mode! :frown:

: Wink:
0 x
snow tiger
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by snow tiger » 29/08/06, 17:31

hi I'm new to this forum!!! It seems to me, if I'm not mistaken, that we are talking about energy wood !! I just worked on it for two years so if it interests someone .....
That's a +
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 29/08/06, 18:29

Woodcutter wrote:Pfuuut ... Bad idea, Christophe .... I should have continued in HS mode! :frown:

: Wink:

Maybe not woodcutter, however, a link to the initial thread from which you drew your quotes would be useful enough to get back in context and better understand the problem.

By cons, without knowing the ins and outs I can already tell you that I agree with you on the last remark on the quote of P. Schutt
Philippe Schutt wrote:As long as one burns wood one pollutes, it is only the new tree planted in replacement of the one one has cut that will depollute if he lives long enough. And as long as this tree is small, there will be a chlorophyle deficiency. In fact, to do well, it would be necessary to plant now, to heat in 50 years. And use a PAC in the meantime ...

What Philippe does not seem to understand is that the atmosphere is a natural reservoir of CO2. What is problematic is when one desynchronizes the CO2 capture and return cycles from this reservoir.

small explanation (simplified)
  • wood heating: During its growth, the plant captures CO2 in the reservoir (the amosphere) and uses it to build itself.
    During cremation, the CO2 that was captured during the shoot is released into the amosphere.
    We are therefore faced with a short cycle: the CO2 captured during 50ans is released in 1h, 50 years later. Now, 50 years in the cycle of our atmosphere, it's innocuous.
    Note that bio-fuels (excluding refining and except diesel tractors) like HVB follow the same short cycle.
  • hydrocarbons: Plants that grew millions of years ago have, in the same way as today, punctured some of the CO2 from the atmosphere.
    They did not burn (so they did not return the CO2 they had taken to the atmosphere) but then fell, through a succession of geological phenomena, turned into hydrocarbons.
    So we end up with, underground, the result of millions of years of capturing CO2 by millions of plants. And here's the rub: these phenomenal quantities of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere by millions of plants for millions of years are released into the atmosphere in a century. There is a huge desynchronization of capture and recovery cycles that the atmosphere can not handle.

That was a bit long, but I hope it will help some to understand the CO2 component of hydrocarbons.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Forests and wood energy

by denis » 29/08/06, 21:23

The marshy moor is "sterile" ( : Shock: ) that for the man who seeks to make a profit ...
In itself, it's a very interesting medium.

The biodiversity of an exploited forest is much less ... As I said before, it's a culture, not a system in balance!
Hydrological regulation, that would surprise me! Drying and drainage, yes but it's not a regulation, it's just a change in environmental conditions.

As you say at the end, this transformation is only due to economic will. [/ Quote]

the biodiversity of marshes, mouet, for mosquitoes it's not bad : Cheesy: there are amateurs ???
for biodiversity, it is not incompatible with logging, provided the mixes are mixed; moreover I believe that the ONF (national forest office (de france)) rectiffier firing, because there is much more risk of destruction during storms (12 / 1999) or forest fires, which confirms this new management, i can inquire keeping onf in the family :D
for pollution, everything is said! : even the oil does not pollute if it is used at the same speed that it took to train it (if we speak about speed !!)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/08/06, 21:33

Targol wrote:Maybe not woodcutter, however, a link to the initial thread from which you drew your quotes would be useful enough to get back in context and better understand the problem.

+ 1 I do not understand much about the logic of this subject ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 30/08/06, 14:12

Christophe wrote:
Targol wrote:Maybe not woodcutter, however, a link to the initial thread from which you drew your quotes would be useful enough to get back in context and better understand the problem.

+ 1 I do not understand much about the logic of this subject ...
This thread was built at the base because you asked me to stop the HS on another subject, but I do not remember which one it is ...

Regarding wet moors and biodiversity, denis, it seems obvious that you do not know the subject but I have unfortunately no time for now to dwell on it.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/06, 15:43

Woodcutter wrote:Regarding wet moors and biodiversity, denis, it seems obvious that you do not know the subject but I have unfortunately no time for now to dwell on it.

Actually I do not know much about it ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/08/06, 16:00

Christophe wrote:
Woodcutter wrote:Regarding wet moors and biodiversity, denis, it seems obvious that you do not know the subject but I have unfortunately no time for now to dwell on it.

Actually I do not know much about it ...

I do not understand much about your ping-pong guys:
Bucheron says that Denis does not know much and it is Christophe who answers ????? : Shock:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding