Magenn Power: flying wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Christophe

Magenn Power: flying wind turbine

by Christophe » 06/05/06, 20:31

Wind turbines can be efficient structures for producing renewable energy. But their size of a few tens of meters does not allow them to capture the strongest winds, circulating at a high altitude. Hence the idea of ​​the American company Magenn Power, based in Ontario: to design an individual wind turbine, a kind of inflatable balloon escaping into the air.

The company is working on the prototype of a turbine trapped in an airship filled with helium, the Air Rotor System, which can float up to 300 meters above sea level.

This surprising idea, to say the least, is the brainchild of Fred Ferguson, an aeronautical engineer specializing in the construction of airships. "In 2002, after the crisis that had plunged California into darkness, many people were looking for new ways to produce electricity. It was from that moment that I started my research," explains the inventor.

The latter already imagines that his product could respond to problems of electricity production in developing countries or be a backup solution in the event of a natural disaster.

The Air Rotor System is an airship whose shape resembles that of a water mill. The blades are driven by the breath of the wind and rotate on a horizontal axis. Generators integrated into the airship transform the energy of this movement into electricity, as in a traditional wind turbine. The cables holding the structure also transmit electricity to the ground.

Could these wind turbines floating at 300 meters above sea level hinder airspace? Fred Ferguson specifies that each balloon will be equipped with materials allowing planes to detect it. A series of tests has already been carried out and a first prototype is being finalized. And already, Krystal Planet, an American company from Kansas specializing in renewable energies, has signed an agreement to distribute by the end of the year a first version of the flying wind turbine, with a power of 4 kilowatt hours. .

For the company, the main advantage of the Air Rotor System is its potential price (just under 8 euros), much lower than that of conventional wind turbines. This generator would produce around 400 euro cents per kilowatt hour, according to company estimates.

Vivien Vergnaud
Article published in the 07.05.06 edition of Le Monde

Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 03 / 10, 10: 47, 3 edited once.
0 x
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 06/05/06, 23:52

It promises, at the opening of the hunt : Cheesy:
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 02/06/06, 08:21

Hello
They force it down at what force of wind; 15noeuds, 20?
Or is it the overturning couple of the wind turbine that keeps it in the air?
@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/06/06, 15:50

Hi Zac,

Is your chicungugna better? (I don't know the exact spelling of this bastard)

To answer your question, the brochure (in English) of the first model offered ( http://www.magenn.com/media/pdf/Magenn_ ... em_4kW.pdf )
gives a range of use (after conversion) from 7,2km / h to 100km / h
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
zac

by zac » 02/06/06, 16:35

Targol wrote: gives a range of use (after conversion) from 7,2km / h to 100km / h

Hello
I don't mind, but the tests carried out for location balloons (2m3 helium or hydrogen) were abandoned by the manufacturer, because at 30 knots (55km / h), with 50meters at the end the balloon was 2meters from the ground. And with 2 separate ends it went all in a spin.
so either they have a secret : Lol: (should see the patent), or it is phony : Evil:
@+
Ps: : Idea: if in doubt take a balloon, 10m of wire and try! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)

This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/06/06, 16:47

There is mechanically fundamental kkchoz that I do not understand with this system.

How is the counter torque of the generator managed in the absence of any fixed point? I doubt that the cables are enough to counter this torque (4 kw is a 6 hp engine!) .... especially that it is very variable ...

Well maybe I should go back to school but there I need an explanation ... it would take at least masses of inertia so that the ball does not leave any way with each burst ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/06/06, 16:47

zac wrote:so either they have a secret : Lol:

It still seems, according to the prospectus (see link above) that it is the rotation of the balloon on itself which prevents it from coming back down to the ground in the event of strong wind. Here is what the (approximate) translation of the doc part gives on this subject:

Its rotation also produces the "Magnus" effect. This aerodynamic phenomenon provides additional upward force, stabilizes the device and maintains the MARS in a very controlled and limited position and finally, forces the MARS to ascend to maximize the altitude rather than the leeward drift on its cable.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/06/06, 16:54

Econology wrote:There is mechanically fundamental kkchoz that I do not understand with this system.

How is the counter torque of the generator managed in the absence of any fixed point? I doubt that the cables are enough to counter this torque (4 kw is a 6 hp engine!) .... especially that it is very variable ...

There, if there is anything other than cables, it is not explained anywhere. Maybe a counterweight in the axis ???

Econology wrote:it would take at least masses of inertia so that the balloon does not leave anyhow with each burst ...

Perhaps still one of the magic effects :P from Mr Magnus ???

PS: thank you Christophe for correcting my post to activate the link.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/06/06, 17:12

Nothing to correct ... for it to be active link you just have to leave 1 space before and after.

There, if there is anything other than cables, it is not explained anywhere.

That's what surprises me ... if the generator is not "leaded" or moored it will necessarily turn with the "balloon"
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/06/06, 17:19

Econology wrote:Nothing to correct ... for it to be active link you just have to leave 1 space before and after.

Ahhhhh OK OK OK. Thanks for the precision.

Econology wrote:That's what surprises me ... if the generator is not "leaded" or moored it will necessarily turn with the "balloon"

So there, I can answer: the generator is attached to the cable on one side and to the balloon on the other. Look at the diagram at the bottom of the prospectus next to the graphics, we can see that the generator is "attached" to the cable.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."