Ball-shaped wind turbine feasibility question

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Victor wonders
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Ball-shaped wind turbine feasibility question

by Victor wonders » 12/11/20, 22:06

Hello to the whole community of this forum!
Here at the moment I would like to create a wind turbine in the shape of a ball, for an aesthetic aspect.
So I didn't really find a system that suited me, so I was wondering if a system like the one I tried to reach you could possibly work. I will try to develop!
I am neither an expert in aerodynamics nor in industrial design so I thank you in advance for your time and patience! : Cheesy:

I insist on the aesthetic aspect because I am well aware that this limits the efficiency of my rotor, but I would like to be able to make it as efficient as possible by taking this aesthetic constraint into account. My project is to integrate rotors into sculptures, that's where this need for a round shape comes from here : roll:

So I tried to draw something to help you visualize

05xj.jpg

I don't know if the questions on my drawings will be readable so I rewrite them here:

Top model:

- Is it possible to take advantage of both the force of the wind and the lift?
- If yes and the wind turbine turns faster than the wind and that consequently the relative wind of a pale comes from the opposite direction of the wind, what happens to the lift?

Bottom model:

- Can a Darrieux rotor in the shape of a ball be considered?
-If so, would it be possible to add more blades to give it a denser spherical consistency?

Here I am in a hurry to have your opinions / answers and I am also eager to be able to share with you the evolution of my project as it progresses thanks, in particular, to your help! THANK YOU! : Cheesy:
1 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Question round wind turbine feasibility

by ENERC » 13/11/20, 11:44

We must start on the principle of vertical wind turbines which work on the principle of airplane wings (as in your diagram) - Darrieus type
http://www.journal-eolien.org/tout-sur- ... eoliennes/

You can put more than 2 blades like here:
Which works like this:
I don't know if it can turn out ....

I would make thinner blades like in vertical wind turbines.
it will give the impression of a full ball when it turns.
0 x
Victor wonders
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Victor wonders » 13/11/20, 13:32

Thank you very much for your quick response! I wish I could glean more information on the rotor you attached, if it's roughly efficient and how it works, does it use wind drag force or lift like the Darrieux? I had trouble visualizing. : Oops:
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 13/11/20, 13:43

It's here: https://www.oviaivo.net/eolienne.html
Two counter-rotating spherical vanes, with an optional central deflector, respond effectively to light or strong winds from all directions.

The URL to the patent is given. Honestly, I don't understand a thing.
0 x
Victor wonders
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Victor wonders » 13/11/20, 16:11

Thank you so much!
I think I understand, but I do not really understand the meaning of "patent" .. What is copyrighted, if everything is similar, if part of the concept is used ..? :|
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/20, 17:12

Victor your idea is only good for very strong winds ...

The recoverable wind power depends on the useful surface swept by the driving wind (1/2 of the surface of your ball at best in your case) and the cube of the speed ... * efficiency (at best 60%).

Start by making a spreadsheet with the data of the "raw" wind power ... takes 50% of yield.

You will notice that your sphere wind turbine does not have great energy potential except for having enormous dimensions.

A sphere of 5m in diameter would have a useful swept area at best of 1/2 * 3.1415 * 5² / 4 = 10 m²

10 m² is equivalent to a classic wind turbine of only 3.5 m in diameter and between 3.5 and 5 m believe me it makes a big difference in manufacturing costs and materials!

On the other hand, the idea would be to develop in hydraulics maybe? Friend's tip ... Water is 850 times heavier than air : Cheesy:

ps: I like your sketches :) artistically speaking ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/20, 17:17

I have a spreadsheet lying around if you're interested ... but hey, it's not rocket science to redo ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 15/11/20, 00:46

If we chose to generalize blade wind turbines, it is for several reasons.
Already the wind must be fetched very high and the wind must be able to resist too strong to be usable, by a certain flexibility and feathering of the blades. I can't see a ball doing it.

No matter how wind turbines without a subsidy would not exist.
the Germans know this well because they stop them the subsidies and think about recycling the blades in insulation material.
0 x