Hydroelectric engineering

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
mill geus
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Hydroelectric engineering

by mill geus » 12/05/20, 19:15

Hello,

I just bought an old mill in Béarn and I would like to build a facility to generate electricity for my use and to sell the excess. I have a 2.4 m waterfall and a flow of 700l / s. Does anyone know of a firm capable of helping me. Desired area of ​​expertise:
. approaches to EDF
. preliminary and detailed study of the installation,
. choice of equipment,
. subject mastery
Thank you for your help.
0 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: hydroelectric engineering

by taam » 12/05/20, 19:44

Hello, if it was for me I would get closer to something like https://fdmf.fr/moulins-de-france/
or look for manufacturers like https://www.turbiwatt.com/fr/menu-pictos/qui-sommes-nous.html

You should have contacts.
1 x
mill geus
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: hydroelectric engineering

by mill geus » 12/05/20, 19:49

Thank you for the information .
I have already contacted Turbiwatt but no response (probably in recovery after Covid).
I will contact the Moulins de France.
good night
0 x
Christophe

Re: Hydroelectric engineering

by Christophe » 19/05/20, 14:05

The first thing to do is check the hydraulic energy potential ...

The formula is quite simple: qgh * yield

with g = flow rate in kg / s and overall efficiency of 50% (hydraulic + electric)

Either: 700 * 9,81 * 2.4 * 50% = 8.2 kW

If your flow rate of 700 l / s is an average over the year you have good potential: 8.2 * 8 = 740 MWh / year ... 72 times more than your own consumption probably ...

If it is the maximum flow then you need to make a more precise measurement. How did you estimate the 700 L / s?

In euros saved it makes 72 * 000 = € 0.15 / year for bill deletion, add any maintenance.

I do not know how much EdF buys the hydraulic kWh in 2020 but it is certainly less than 0.15 euro.

Good luck because it is not easy to put a mill back into service. Has 5 to 10 years of technical and especially administrative approach ... : Cry:

Put us some pictures ...
0 x
mill geus
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Hydroelectric engineering

by mill geus » 19/05/20, 15:57

Hello,

Thank you for this encouraging information ... the 700 l / s is the maximum authorized flow rate of water withdrawal (limited by a stone giving the level). In practice, the river is capable of providing this flow all year round without being too affected. However, in summer, during dry periods (summer), it will sometimes be necessary to reduce the flow by half to leave more water to the river. For this reason, plans to install 2 Kaplan turbines (Lion from Turbiwatt) of 6 KW each.

Here are some photos, including one with the river at its lowest ... the mill dates from at least 1588 because we have a writing dating from this time, the owner Johan de Féchou (adviser to King Henry III of Navarre future King Henry IV) giving "affermage" to the miller ...

I know that it will take me time to put everything in place, I need to redo the deflection channel, redo the part at the mill to receive the turbines, install the turbines etc ... and a lot of administration to do even if I already have the agreement of the water police who recognized my right to water in title. I will keep you informed of my progress in this project.

Have a good day,
Attachments
20190618_165851.jpg
lowest river during summer with drought
shelters3.jpg
abris3.jpg (75.68 KB) Viewed 4832 times
IMG-20190131-WA0004.jpg
dam with water level in general
IMG-20190131-WA0004.jpg (463.6 KIO) Accessed 4832 times
1 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."