Hydroelectric project waterfall (fountain)

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Genelec
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Hydroelectric project waterfall (fountain)

by Genelec » 23/10/19, 09:33

Hello,

I am looking for existing product ideas or DIY to install turbines. I have researched but the existing products require fairly high flow (I do not know yet the flow of this fall, I will inquire for that). The DIY I found are made with not very solid materials (plastic and cardboard .. it will not last long!)
Can you advise me on this kind of installation even if I doubt that the electric potential of this fall is weak enough, if only to produce some Watts.
The 3 falls are following with a height of 110cm, 110cm and 130cm (see attached photo)

What hardware do you think it would be possible to install?

Thanks to connoisseurs : Idea:

waterfall site.jpg
waterfall
waterfall site.jpg (148.59 KIO) Viewed 5243 times
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: hydro-electric waterfall project

by izentrop » 23/10/19, 10:07

Missing the flow in m ^ 3 / second, but at sight of nose, what to light a LED of a few watts;)
0 x
Genelec
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Genelec » 23/10/19, 13:21

Thank you for your answer, for the flow, do you know if it is possible to calculate it with the characteristics of the pump? If no, how can I do?

Pump motor characteristics nameplate:
400V - 50Hz
1435tr / min
4kW
cos (phi) = 0.8
8.8A

Pressure in the pipe = 0.8bar

Pressure bar - basin haut.jpg
pump pressure

Features Motor basin haut.jpg
Pump motor characteristics
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/10/19, 13:57

genélec wrote:Pressure in the pipe = 0.8bar
What diameter, what height to climb?
Some bases of calculation http://enrj.renouvelables.free.fr/energ ... lique.html

Not to mention that small systems are very inefficient.
0 x
Genelec
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Genelec » 24/10/19, 08:22

Izentrop, the pipes at the pump outlet have a diameter of 90mm. The length before rejection is from 10 to 20m without certainty.

Thank you for your link, I had already consulted during my research but I have not managed to calculate the flow ..

For once it will not be very efficient I do not doubt, power some pool lamps would be good but the visual contribution of this project is also important!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/10/19, 09:10

This project is based on an artificial source: we will recover some of the energy consumed by the pump ... at best in 55-60% ...

So before scaling: it may be necessary to answer the usefulness of this project? Educational, aesthetic (integrated LED?), Ecological or financial?

If it is not educational, it will be in any case more interesting to simply cut the pump from time to time rather than hoping to recover some of the pumping energy. : Idea:

Unless the pumping bill is not paid by the same "person" (physical or moral) : Mrgreen:
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/19, 09:19

genélec wrote: feeding some pool lamps would already be fine
What's the point since you already have the electricity that powers the motor?
The length of pipe could give you the pressure drops, but that's not what interests you.

To calculate the power of fall, you already have the height and to obtain the flow, the simplest would be to put, under the fall, a tank whose capacity you know and calculate the time to fill it.
Falling levels are losing power, if you really want to exploit it to the maximum, at best you need a penstock that is the height.
Last edited by izentrop the 24 / 10 / 19, 09: 22, 1 edited once.
1 x
Genelec
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: hydroelectric project waterfall (fountain)

by Genelec » 24/10/19, 09:20

Christophe, in addition to the possible savings envisaged, this project also has a visual and educational impact vis-à-vis passers-by, returning them an ecological aspect and invested with a sustainable development approach.
Now the pump is lit for decorative purposes, so take the opportunity to recover as much energy as possible!
0 x
Genelec
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Genelec » 24/10/19, 09:28

Izentrop,

The interest is precisely to consume less electricity for the lamps of the basin, thanks to the fall

Okay for the tank, unfortunately I do not think I have a container as long as the fall (it would take a cow trough!)

The fall stages lose power, if you really want to use it to the maximum, you need a penstock that goes all the way up

Actually, but that I can not help it, I did not conceive it, I would like to exploit the 3 to the max of successive falls (even if they are small) for example by putting turbines on each side or a wheel that would be on any length, I did not find it but it would interest me to have ideas of achievements like that!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/10/19, 10:59

genélec wrote:The interest is precisely to consume less electricity for the lamps of the basin, thanks to the fall
College physics courses are to resume : Wink:
0 x