Wind speed regulation against gusts (Mistral)?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Wind speed regulation against gusts (Mistral)?

by Grelinette » 01/03/16, 21:50

I didn't really know where to post this topic, or rather my "technical question", but out of respect for serious wind projects I post my problem here ...

Here, I try to regulate the speed of rotation of my wind turbine with a simple system, because living in Provence, there is often the mistral which blows in gusts and my wind turbine, lose, how would I say, the sense of rhythm!

How to avoid this acceleration which influence its harmony?

If you have any ideas ...

Here is my wind turbine in action in high winds
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

Re: Wind speed regulation against gusts (Mistral)?

by Christophe » 01/03/16, 22:25

This is quite serious as a request, so I moved it "in the big leagues" lol
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/03/16, 22:29

Ah ah ah! I should have watched the video before moving the message :)
Little rascal is going! : Cheesy:

The 2 bottles cut, what are the speakers?

Do not prevent your question vis-à-vis the bursts remains valid!
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 02/03/16, 12:42

Christophe wrote:Ah ah ah! I should have watched the video before moving the message :)
Little rascal is going! : Cheesy:

The 2 bottles cut, what are the speakers?

Do not prevent your question vis-à-vis the bursts remains valid!

Hello Christopher,
I'm glad you like it : Cheesy: ... Indeed, the bottle necks on each side serve as a speaker.

The musical wind turbine is a new concept, admittedly a little "light" from a scientific point of view, but poetry is still essential in our world of rigid sciences. (Besides, do you remember: I am relapsing in relation to this first innovative wind turbine of the same ilk, but silent despite its appearance).

Having said that, mechanical regulation of the speed of rotation is a serious subject that concerns me at the moment with another project of a much larger wind turbine on which I am working: a wind turbine of about 2,5 m in diameter with 5 blades.

I want to test the mechanics of blades that change their incidence with centrifugal force. I had made a prototype in a reduced model which I had presented on econology but I did not find it: 2 concentric sliding tubes). Picture Operating sketch

Recently, engineering friends came to see me and advised me to install it far from my house because they doubt that the system will suffice in strong winds with the risk that one of the pale blades will fall off and go off like an arrow! : Shock:

So I would install it on a hill far enough ... at worst, a day of great mistral, a pale will drop and will pierce an unlucky boar ... it will make me stew! : Mrgreen:

The other important subject that bothers me, it's facing the wind, always mechanically.

With us the wind is changing with brutal gusts which cause the wind turbines to rotate with drift. I am tempted to test the clever old technology of the old windmills which had a second small wind turbine perpendicular to the main one. This system must give inertia to the rotational movement:

0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 04/03/16, 10:29

Hello Grelinette
If your 3 springs do not have exactly the same stiffness, preload etc ... and or that the sliding / friction is not equal in the blade fixing tubes etc ... you will make an "important" and "unpredictable unbalance "with the blade that sticks out the most. (possibility of vibration, breakage ...)

Hypothesis: It would be necessary to be able to control the simultaneity of the output eccentricity of the blades, of the kind a single spring which controls the output of the 3 blades with cables or a device of the kind. (Three cables joined before being able to pull in the axis of the spring).
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 04/03/16, 11:22

Hello Grelinette,
I think we have to keep it simple, the mistral pushes hard and I paid for it myself .... maybe with a big spring type rear shock absorber of vehicle could agree between the axis of the blades and the generator axis.
To get started you really have to look roughly mathematically with the weather statistics, the lost energy that you could carry and especially the power that you want to clip.
This will size your spring and show you what you can possibly earn. A table corner calculation to assess the interest in the complexity of the implementation.
Good luck for your project, I was also passionate about a given time for this type of machine ....
Besides, it seems globally today that a judicious association between solar and wind (with hydraulic dam) would make it possible to get rid of nuclear energy at least in the United States. The keystone of this association being the computing power necessary upstream to manage the network between demand, solar and wind supply and hydraulic storage (a bunch of real-time calculations including statistics, weather data, potential reserve, necessary load shedding, energy transfers ...)
Good luck
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 04/03/16, 11:24

Flytox wrote:Hello Grelinette
If your 3 springs do not have exactly the same stiffness, preload etc ... and or that the sliding / friction is not equal in the blade fixing tubes etc ... you will make an "important" and "unpredictable unbalance "with the blade that sticks out the most. (possibility of vibration, breakage ...)

Hypothesis: It would be necessary to be able to control the simultaneity of the output eccentricity of the blades, of the kind a single spring which controls the output of the 3 blades with cables or a device of the kind. (Three cables joined before being able to pull in the axis of the spring).

I have already asked myself the question of the imbalance caused by blades whose distance / axis of the rotor varies and can be different. Your idea of ​​a single cable is interesting and would adjust the bp, but you have to be able to accommodate it in the rotor. I imagined another simple mechanical solution so that each blade has the exact same axis / rotor distance: a central disc pierced with grooves which connects each blade.
Synchronization system of the blades.jpg

That said, even if all the pale works identically, I also wonder if there is not a systematic imbalance because the pale who arrives at the bottom (vertical, end down) undergoes also the gravitational force which is added to the centrifugal force, and the pale vertical at the top suffers the opposite effect? ​​...

Does this phenomenon of imbalance exist on all wind turbines with a horizontal axis?
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 04/03/16, 11:27

Hello : Wink:

The drift is in the vortices of the propeller, putting it higher it would be in the wind and it should oscillate less.

To limit the speed, one idea (which I saw on the net but cannot find) is to put the blades downstream, with just a counterweight in place of the wind vane, and to make flexible blades, or articulated with a spring, which bend forward under the effect of too strong wind, automatically reducing the surface to the wind.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 04/03/16, 11:32

lilian07 wrote:Besides, it seems globally today that a judicious association between solar and wind (with hydraulic dam) would make it possible to get rid of nuclear energy ...

Hello lilian07,
I bounce on your remark because recently in another subject, I asked the question of knowing if moving solar panels had the same performance?
I imagined translucent pale wind turbines in which solar panels were placed at the ribs, like in airplane wings...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 04/03/16, 11:36

dede2002 wrote:Hello : Wink:

The drift is in the vortices of the propeller, putting it higher it would be in the wind and it should oscillate less.

To limit the speed, one idea (which I saw on the net but cannot find) is to put the blades downstream, with just a counterweight in place of the wind vane, and to make flexible blades, or articulated with a spring, which bend forward (rather the back? ...) under the effect of too strong wind, automatically decreasing the wind area.

Dedicated Bonjor,
You are probably talking about a wind turbine of this model:
ENTE (1) .jpg

There is one installed near my house. It seems that it has evolved with articulated blades that change their profile with the wind.
I would take a picture of it or film it.
0 x