Thank you to everyone who helped me with the construction!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Thank you to everyone who helped me with the construction!

by titiyador » 20/12/14, 10:12

Hello, thank you to all those who were able to help me realize the small Piggott wind turbine with a diameter of 1200 mm and a nominal 200w.

Two short videos of the machine and electrical regulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNWqN9e8r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfO1H21-L_k

Thanks again! Tim.
0 x
He who sows the wind harvest ... happiness !!
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 21/12/14, 11:14

I noticed a funny thing. And as I begin ... : Cheesy:

In fact the wind turbine turns quickly at times and brakes suddenly (almost stopping). I think it must be the charge regulator that does its job (it automatically puts the phases in short circuit beyond 15v), but it's still strange. Is it not rather the start of charging to the batteries? As my cable is extremely too thin (I'm going to change it, I have to go buy it), that is to say from the 1.5mm² from the wind turbine to the regulator (I also think of putting 6mm² for the distance d 'about 10m between the wind turbine and the regulator, does that sound good to you (nominal power 200w (16A) in 12v)) it is strange to have such a large voltage with such a thin section of cable, right?

Also, a second strange thing is that I have a voltage converter (for car at the base) and not an inverter (I am discovering the difference between the two) which is connected on a battery and which supplies a small heating resistance. It works well for a while, but suddenly, the green LED becomes red, then green, then red etc ... Here I take the voltage across the battery: oscillation between 9.9 and 10v ... How does it happen- Does the device pump as much voltage? (at the base (ie at rest, without the converter connected to it) the battery has a voltage of around 12.2v). Could it be the battery that is dead and / or unsuitable (it is not a wind or solar battery)? or that a converter is not suitable for the installation (unlike an inverter?) ...

Thank you in advance for your answers, I am a little lost. After that maybe "something" is also missing in the installation ...

Good that makes lots of questions all that!

Tim. :D
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 22/12/14, 08:57

Hello,
There is a lot of information missing:

- Output power in W of the converter 12V - 220V
- Characteristics of the 12V battery (automobile model?) Capacity in Ah
- Power in W of the resistor you use (a priori it is a 220V model connected to the converter output)

The voltage converter must logically go into safety and shut off when the battery voltage becomes too low (mine shuts down around 10,5 V)

When a 12V battery drops in voltage, either it is discharged or it is out of order. If it is a liquid electrolyte battery, its electrolyte level may be insufficient. If it is a gel electrolyte battery, do not add water.
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 22/12/14, 09:40

Hello Citro,

Thank you for your answer. Indeed it lacks a lot of information for once. So here they are:

- on the converter it is indicated 200w
- the battery is an "alphaline" battery of 88ah in 12v. This is more of a marine battery than a car according to the seller.
- the resistance is a 50w immersion heater
Yes, that's what the converter does, it cuts off and turns back on (red LED then green then red then green etc ...) after a certain operating time. I was still able to heat water with the resistance for a while (1 to two hours). But what I don't understand is that the wind turbine was running fine and should normally charge the battery at the same time as the converter was "pumping" current.
But the voltage of 12,4 volts before starting the resistance gradually decreases to reach 9,9 -10v after a certain time.

Would this also happen with an inverter?

The battery is visible on the following link: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Alphaline-Batter ... 4897.l4275

Thank you, Tim.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 22/12/14, 10:02

Well, now you have to take real measurements with an ammeter.

On the production of the wind turbine, it still means more than 16A if it delivers 200W at 12V ...

It would therefore be necessary to measure on the wires of the wind turbine before the regulator, then at the regulator output then at the converter input and finally, alternately at the converter output.

Ideally, 2 devices would be needed to be able to compare the ratio between the input current (very variable) and the downstream currents each time. : Idea:

There are mainly 2 ways to measure:
- Measurement in series on the DC circuit.
- Measurement by conventional alternating current clamp and by clamp with DC hall effect sensors (more expensive equipment).
Measurement on a shunt resistor is also possible.
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 22/12/14, 10:28

Oula! it looks pretty gas plant ...

I made a short video just so you can see the installation and tell me if something is shocking you or if everything seems normal to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwo3qhJMUrE

I did not take into account the converter for once, I would first like to be reassured on the fact that the wind turbine charges the batteries well ...
Apart from measuring the battery voltage as in the video, I don't really see how to do it (impossible to measure the amperage of the battery) ...

Tim.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 22/12/14, 19:23

Hello,

It is possible and even probable that the battery is HS.

Your cable is obviously too thin, if it passed 16 amps there would be around 2 V of voltage drop per line, therefore 4 V less at the regulator than at the wind turbine!

A simple way to measure the amperage is to add a third wire (same end) in parallel to a line (the -).
Bridged with the - at the wind turbine outlet, you measure the voltage between the - regulator input and the other end of the 3rd wire.
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 22/12/14, 19:32

Hi Dede,

Yes it seemed to me that the thread is too thin. Which section would you recommend?

I may reread your tip several times to measure the amperage, I don't understand : Mrgreen:

The wind turbine comes out in three-phase which I connect directly to the regulator (which has a three-phase input) which has a rectifier to convert into DC ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 22/12/14, 20:47

An excessive voltage drop in the power cable cannot be ruled out.
In automotive, charge regulators limit to 14.4V.
Your measurements are well below.
This results in a potential difference that is too low to "enter the Ah into the battery".

It would be interesting to do the same measurements on a car to check if your voltmeter is correctly calibrated and if the alternator output voltage rises above 14.V.

Then, you would have to connect your installation to the car in order to replace the arrival of the wind turbine with the car's alternator.
Thus you will be able to judge if it is the regulator of the wind turbine which regulates at too low a voltage and prevents the charge of the battery.

To illustrate my point, imagine that you are next to a 2 meter high tank with a bucket, if you want to add water to the tank you must absolutely raise your bucket to more than 2 meters to empty it in the tank. This is called DDP (Difference in Potential).

At work now.

PS: I'm amazed, you make videos and put them online as you breathe. : Cheesy:
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 22/12/14, 21:18

If it is three-phase you can measure the AC voltage between each phase at the input of the regulator.

So what I called 3rd wire would be a 4th wire, to measure the voltage drop (in millivolts) of a line and calculate the intensity (if there are zero Amperes, there will be zero Volts).

On your multimeter, the black wire should be on "com" (common) and the red on V, not on Amps.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."