Sorting in Belgium is a mess!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Sorting in Belgium is a mess!

by the middle » 22/03/13, 12:31

I launch the subject, because it is important.
Today, (in Belgium), I went to the waste center, with a trailer full of all kinds of waste, unsorted.
The manager ejected me, on the pretext that my waste is not sorted in the trailer.
My wife explodes, and says she understands the people who throw their garbage in the forest.
Me, my answer: "they are right"
but after 15 minutes of discussion, the question is, "where does sorting stop?"
Example, the garden parasol made of wood, metal, and canvas ... do I have to dismantle everything?
The lounge armchair, do I have to dismantle the wood from the fabrics?
the mayonnaise jar, do I have to peel off the label?
I believe that mentalities must change, and that sorting begins with the purchase. :D
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sorting

by sen-no-sen » 22/03/13, 13:21

lejustemilieu wrote:The manager ejected me, on the pretext that my waste is not sorted in the trailer.

And the manager was absolutely right.
How is it possible to carry out an effective sorting if there is not upstream a basic treatment?
It is two things one, either the sorting is done seriously, or we will have to pay more for it to be done by specialized companies .... the choice is yours.

Example, the garden parasol made of wood, metal, and canvas ... do I have to dismantle everything?

Ideally, yes! But it is indeed exacting.

I believe that mentalities must change, and that sorting begins with the purchase

Absolutely!
And it's also up to manufacturers to stop selling shit and other obsolete products to us.
But the problem is still the same: the retroactive consumption loop:
To guarantee the functioning of the trading system and its exponential logic, manufacturers quickly understood that a product that lasts is a bad product (for the totalitarian economy).
The products age badly, so we buy new ones, which age even worse ... the process accelerating with each cycle.

The products, therefore, do not last or are no longer in "fashion" (fashion created by its same manufacturers via media networks), so you have to buy others, which makes it possible to operate the industrial apparatus.
It follows a "snowball" effect generating gigantic profits and of which the consumer is the big loser: we pay with the purchase but also in the trash (via taxes, taxes etc ...).

The basic idea is to generate a maximum of profit, allowing to develop the economic activity in the world and to provide jobs and happiness to all, but that of course it is only of ultra-liberal mythology, since the reality is that of planetary cannibalism.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sorting

by chatelot16 » 22/03/13, 16:28

lejustemilieu wrote:but after 15 minutes of discussion, the question is, "where does sorting stop?"

and above all, where should we sort it out?

we can arrive with his trailer full of bazard and sort by emptying in the different dumpster of the waste

if the waste collection center now requires a separate trip for each category of waste? it becomes absurd

at home I dismantle everything, but after complete sorting it is no longer waste: it becomes raw material salable at a non-zero price, or fuel ... or inert material that makes a pile in a corner of the garden ... no need for waste

some material like iron we have such a low price we have such a low price that it is not even worth it to transport it: I store it while waiting for it to change

before the waste disposal there were scrap dealers who made a living by dismantling and sorting and reselling what was of value

waste today, earn nothing with recycling and manage to cost public money

if in addition she does not even do the service for which she is paid anymore ????
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/03/13, 17:22

Lejuste does not say that he will dump his trailer without sorting it ... but that he fell on a con!

So do not understand the problem: the important thing is that it is sorted in the skips of the container park ... the rest the manager does not care!

Why is the manager making a nervous poop? His reasoning is phony and if we push it to the extreme we would have to make a trip by car by type of waste? Whatever...

In my corner of Belgium, this is a container park: https://www.econologie.com/forums/reportage- ... t2273.html

If not for your question on the dismantling: the recyclers can work a little too if not here we have a "bulky" dumpster for the case that you describe ... it goes to the landfill.

By cons little rant: here the better we sort, the more the taxes increase... should perhaps stop making fun of the world: there is a lot of money in the recovery of waste and it is done voluntarily by the "citizen" ...
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 22/03/13, 17:33

So do not understand the problem: the important thing is that it is sorted in the skips of the container park ... the rest the manager does not care!

My wife got the same answer as you ...
0 x
culbuto
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by culbuto » 22/03/13, 18:14

another sorting is also done every month in France: once a month it's bulky items. We put our "bulky items" on the sidewalk. There are a lot of people who come to browse, looking for metal, wood, furniture not too damaged etc. If you put an old cast iron fire on the sidewalk, it will emerge within half an hour! For fridges, gas stoves and others, associations recover them, repair them and give them a second life. All you have to do is call them and make an appointment or give them when you buy an old device repaired from them.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 22/03/13, 19:40

culbuto wrote:another sorting is also done every month in France: once a month it's bulky items. We put our "bulky items" on the sidewalk. There are a lot of people who come to browse, looking for metal, wood, furniture not too damaged etc. If you put an old cast iron fire on the sidewalk, it will emerge within half an hour! For fridges, gas stoves and others, associations recover them, repair them and give them a second life. All you have to do is call them and make an appointment or give them when you buy an old device repaired from them.

Ha, with us, bulky items have been removed.
There remain the Romanians, who collect old metals.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/13, 11:03

Ah about the idiocy of waste management in Belgium; another example.

I think that in our corner we no longer have the right to burn vegetable waste in our garden ...

You have to bring everything to the container park ...

So real environmental argument, idiocy or pressure from waste "lobbies"? You choose...

I have my opinion! : Evil:

And at the same time, the local company continues to burn open its plastic packaging waste and so on ... it's clean ... :| :|
0 x
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 23/03/13, 12:28

Christophe wrote:I think that in our corner we no longer have the right to burn vegetable waste in our garden ...

In France, either, a circular was sent to this effect to all prefects on November 18, 2011:

http://www.actu-environnement.com/ae/news/dechets-verts-brulage-interdiction-circulaire-14247.php4

At home, I recycle by composting or mulching for the lawn and I bring my big green waste to a recycling center, where it is crushed and goes to a composting station.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/03/13, 13:05

An interministerial circular recalls the principle of prohibiting the open burning of green waste

if it's burnt in an incinerator?

and as we always see for sale sheet metal incinerator, it is authorized to use it

and these kind of trash in perforated sheet make a fire as polluting as in the open air

it's a shame to burn to destroy without using energy ... wasting energy to transport to the garbage, which will then spend money to dispose of this waste is not better

prohibit burning so as not to pollute? it would be more useful to sell boilers capable of burning this waste when you need heating ... the whole problem is to dry these green waste to keep them until the following winter

I am trying a method that could be practical: mix the crushed green waste, with forest chips already well dried ... the mixture does not rot and can dry slowly and will be fuel for woodchip boiler the year next
0 x