Paddle wheel info search

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Spica.57
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Paddle wheel info search

by Spica.57 » 27/11/05, 10:44

Hello
I have a boyfriend who lives in an old mill and he would like to restore the impeller to generate electricity.
Are you aware of any such achievement?
I'm also looking for websites dedicated to this subject
Thank you
0 x
eric florantin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by eric florantin » 27/11/05, 14:20

Hello
I can be useful to him because myself I have built micro dams is it possible for me to send me a photo of his mill and I could be useful to him it is difficult to give him an idea without having seen his mill

Contact me by private message (MP below this message) and I'll send you my email.

I can be useful to him
A+
0 x
Spica.57
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Paddle wheels

by Spica.57 » 27/11/05, 14:55

Hello
As for the dam and the locks, everything is still in place.
The problem lies in the reconstruction of the wheel (everything has been dismantled and the axis has disappeared) it is necessary to calculate the angle of the blades according to the elevation, and nowadays it is difficult to find a craftsman capable of building a wheel, that's why we are looking for people who have already tackled the problem.
I will try to have a photo of the place
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 27/11/05, 16:21

If there was a paddle wheel, before, the blades were vertical and perpendicular to the current ...
If the whole wheel has disappeared, for the dimensions of a blade, it suffices to ensure that the blade, vertically, almost completely blocks the anterior masonry which has remained. In small height of the blade , take the average water level over the year.
For the wheel radius, if the axle support has disappeared, see what is compatible with the height of the roof. The larger it is, the less friction there is; but the heavier it is, the more inertia there is. If you don't care for rustic, make the blades out of aluminum or resin, that will lighten.
See if the gear system is still there; depending on the number of revolutions / minute of the generator and the reduction ratio, this will give you the revolutions / minutes of your impeller; If nothing remains, or if it was the mechanism of a grain mill, first make your wheel in an adequate proportion: must be monitored the average linear speed of the water current, which will be equal to the speed linear of the perimeter of your wheel in meters / second, transformed into revolutions / minute depending on the dimensions of your wheel; you will then calculate the reduction ratio to run a more efficient modern alternator.
0 x
Rpkx
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Rpkx » 02/12/05, 08:39

Hello,

You will have almost everything on the wheels of water mills by browsing this site:
http://clients.newel.net/particulier/amader/index.htm

Traces of the installation of the old wheel should help:
- hole in the masonry of the passage of the tree and support opposite (low wall?)
- distance between the tree and the bottom of the courier if wheel from below
- height of fall if wheel from above
etc.

@+
Last edited by Rpkx the 03 / 12 / 05, 00: 19, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/12/05, 09:30

Rpkx wrote:Hello,

You will have almost everything on the wheels of water mills by browsing this site:

@+

Added to the directory :)
0 x
Spica.57
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Spica.57 » 02/12/05, 23:14

Hello,

@+

Thank you for this address, lots of info, calculations, etc.
cordially
Christian
0 x