Burning Plant meal in a pellet stove

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Burning Plant meal in a pellet stove

by yannko » 26/07/12, 10:28

Hello everyone,

I am currently on a biomass project for heating / hot water distribution, see coge stirling (mega fed up with being used by m ... e boxes, so I'm going on my projects).

I am looking for information on the quality of combustion of oil cakes produced from plants, used in self-loading pellet stoves.

What is the incidence of a fat content of between 10 and 20% in oil cakes?

Is there a combustion-quality standard for oil cakes, like DIN + for wood pellets? What humidity level is ideal?

Has anyone ever tested it in their pellet stove? If not, is anyone ready to try?

Finally, are conventional pellet presses sufficient, or do you need a specific press for these plants?

At what price per tonne are the cakes sold (various plants, just an idea)?

That's a lot : Mrgreen:, but I need a serious basis, and on the net, the figures vary a lot, at least here I know I can trust the data.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/07/12, 12:13

Without really answering, allow me this agronomist's response: I find it a shame to burn oil cakes, which are a food rich in protein.

I think that woody plants, which cannot be reused otherwise, are the real resource, generalizable and sustainable, for fueling stoves and pellet boilers!

I suggest you pass your project through the following "feasibility" sieve:

- the resource is such reproducible / renewable: yes

- the resource is as available: ???? You are in conflict with the production of animal feed, with prices currently soaring (shortage of soybeans, following a drought in the USA)

- what long term? : population growth will exacerbate the tension on food products; competition between agricultural food production and agricultural energy production (see bioethanol, see palm oil); is the project ethically defensible: no !!!

Burning cake, like burning wheat, is for me a whim of the rich who will not last in a finite world !!!

We have a huge forest, which is growing in France, which is under-exploited, on land that is partly difficult to develop for agricultural food production ...
0 x
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 26/07/12, 12:41

Hi Did :D,

thank you for your reaction, I agree with you, because my project concerns oil crops which are waste, unusable as animal feed. :D

I take rapeseed, etc., as an example, because from the moment they have a certain percentage of oil, I assume (rightly or wrongly?) That their behavior as fuel will be similar.

Otherwise, of course, I would not allow myself to burn resources that can be used for food production.

I said cake, maybe biomass pellets would be more accurate :?: In short, pellets made from organic production waste, but which are useless (inedible, not usable other than as compost).

After that I do not know at all what can be "good" to squeeze for animals? Anyone have any idea what can be used as feed for cattle?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/07/12, 17:04

Rapeseed can be used in animal feed. I don't remember, it contained undesirable compounds, which we managed to eliminate by selection.

In the context of unbridled globalization, soybeans from Brazil or the States may have been cheaper.

Except in a particular case that would escape me, but there, hot, I do not see which, a cake is the result of pressing an oilseed. Since the oil is generally edible, we can assume that the seed was. After pressing, to extract the oleaginous part (lipids), the "carbohydrate" part and the "protein" part remain. So what's good in terms of nutrition (including human for that matter - peanut cake is a great protein food for babies in Africa!).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/07/12, 20:25

While approving the message of Did67, I specify that the oil cakes produce solid combustion residues which are not easy to manage.

I personally burned a compressed log (it is a large pellet) of oilseed meal on an experimental basis, it was an infection!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 27/07/12, 08:56

Ok that's interesting!

Well I inquired, what I want to use can not be transformed into bovine food, or simply animal.

Perhaps the fact of reducing in small pellets will help for the combustion? A priori I found boilers that burn fatty residues (including oil cakes), after I do not have the slightest idea of ​​what it can give ...

Someone would be willing to give it a try (someone with a pellet boiler) : Mrgreen: ?
0 x
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 31/07/12, 11:42

No one has any idea :?:
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."