Small wind turbine: mast question

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
dmy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Small wind turbine: mast question

by dmy » 25/04/12, 14:17

Hello everybody

I would like to install a small wind turbine of around 1000w. I know that what matters most in this process is to treat exposure to the wind. So I should ideally place it 12m above the ground, above the surrounding roofs.

My constraints are as follows: rather suburban urban environment and good orientation in relation to the prevailing winds. In addition we are in a wind corridor (straight street which opens into the facade) and fairly clear rear side (campus with few buildings and a few trees) which makes the installation perhaps interesting.

The garden is not very large (around 100m2 available on the ground) which restricts the use of guy lines. The house is about 6m high. The garden is occupied by an old house converted into a summer kitchen and workshop (height about 3m)

So I would like to place the wind turbine at least 10m high. My first idea was to fix the mast on the workshop wall. This would be possible for the first 3 meters but for the rest I think that the solution is not viable. This would indeed allow me to mount a mast of 6m at most which would not be really effective. So I'm looking for a mast-less mast solution compatible with this configuration.

I forgot to specify that the access of a crane is impossible therefore exit the masts of only one part and the big works of foundation.

The solution proposed here http://www.aurore-energies.com/eolienne/mat_d_appui_mural_anti_vibration_pour_eolienne/mat_mural_pour_eolienne_whisper_100.html partially answers my problem but would not allow me to reach an interesting height.

Here if you have ideas I am interested because there I dry completely.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jerome
[/ Url]
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 25/04/12, 14:25

I think that if you want to do without a guy, you have to look to tinker with a freestanding mast: basically 3 or 4 tubes or angles connected to each other by crosspieces, just like high voltage pylons.
it can be assembled directly on site by welding or bolting. If you are not dizzy and taking the necessary precautions (harness, helmet) you can assemble it directly on the spot already erected (the crosspieces serve as a ladder rung to access the top part)

Otherwise, some use lampposts: large octagonal galvanized tubes with a slightly conical shape.
0 x
dmy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by dmy » 25/04/12, 14:35

Thank you I like the idea of ​​the pylon which will make visits possible!
The base of the pylon can be fixed to the wall up to 3m which will avoid making a foundation too deep.
0 x
dmy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by dmy » 25/04/12, 16:03

re. I find used freestanding pylons of 12m which are 30 cm side (often used in amateur radio). It looks perfect to me!

thanks in any case for the idea.
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 26/04/12, 19:31

Bonjour,

between being and appearing there is a margin.
If this margin is positive all the better otherwise it is the cat ...

If you fix your mast to your wall and your mast is undersized it is not the concrete block that will hold it, the wall will come with the mast if it falls.

between an antenna and a wind turbine the constraints are not the same, for a wind turbine of 1Kw I would say seen from the nose that you are going to have a rotor of app 2.4m in diameter, it pushes hard when the wind blows ...

you should do a little calculation before ...

And before buying your wind turbine you should above all measure the wind with an anemometer and not at first sight, and take a measurement over 5 to 6 months if possible, in short knowing the potential of the wind at home, this will avoid bad surprises when it comes to production.

and between us 12 m is the minimum to have stable app wind and especially the maximum for not having to apply for a building permit, but in no case the ideal height to have a good production ...
0 x
dmy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by dmy » 26/04/12, 19:41

I agree with the principle and will not ignore a good foundation. The wall would only be more.

Is there a recommendable anemometer model? I have to place it at 12m I suppose?
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 26/04/12, 19:47

It is the same principle as the EDF poles of narrow streets so as not to touch the ground.
No guy lines.
It looks like a double attachment for a dish.
With little wind it moves your head a little.
But it's solid.
Wind turbine about 1kwh.
Effective if you don't go up a lot.
In my opinion behind the concrete block wall there is also a larger internal square which fixes the external square.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/04/12, 20:09

to choose the height you should not do the maximum allowed so 12m ... and it would even be desirable to do more ... too bad the authorization is difficult to obtain

for a 12m mast, fixing it to a 3 meter wall is of little use: in any case, the foundation on the ground must hold up, and at worst if it doesn't hold up, it's not worth it. demolish half the house with

the high-voltage pylon-style solution is the most practical: construction angles of angle cut and drilled with precision, assembled by bolt, the part already mounted serving as scaffolding to climb higher

the wider the post, the more we can reduce the amount of iron for the same total resistance

the round iron posts are less bulky, but thicker and heavier ... and more difficult to build since a crane is required

Another detail, the cross-post is not only easy to build, but easy to dismantle for, to rebuild it elsewhere, if that does not give satisfaction

anemometer, we often use anemometer with 3 half ball: there is a big one in convenient: they work too well with all the wind directions: they are therefore too optimistic with the vortex, which never blow long enough to benefit a true wind turbine: it is therefore necessary not only to record the wind speed at the anemometer, but also the direction, and to make calculations to subtract all the times or the direction changes too quickly

foundation for a pylon in cross: it must be heavy: it is not necessarily the best idea to waste concrete below ground level: I prefer to make a betit square building in solid masonry whose weight is used to ensure the stability of the pylon

a house can also serve as a foundation, but do not fix at the top of the wall which does not have a great solidity: fix at the bottom of the wall to take advantage of all the weight of the wall

we see a triangular cross-mast with 3 posts for the GSM antenna: it makes weird angles and complicates the construction: I find the square pylons high voltage style easier to make in angle
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 26/04/12, 20:29

This is the principle of the honeycomb structure.
It is the best compromise, materials, weight, resistance.
Gifted nature.
Then: broad base, towards fine point: it is hollow inside. Well seen to access.
And like the spider we make the center and then we stretch cables all around. It resists drops of water. On a large scale.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 26/04/12, 20:37

As for a round mast, there is no need for a crane, above all you need an articulated mast foot with a lever bar at right angles to the mast, and at the end of the bar a ring to be able to hang a choice of car or safe.
We can cut the mast in half (provide a bolt to reattach the two pieces), articulate the two parts between it, and on the top part put a drawbar too, suddenly once the first section mounted and fixed have put the hard pull on the second bar and we pull hard;), it pivots and then we bolt the two parts together, bingo have a round mast erected without a crane;).

otherwise here is an example of what you can do:

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/top ... #msg928142

go to the middle of the subject and open the pdf you will have a plan;).
In addition, we have a better understanding of what I have just explained ...

here otherwise

http://www.deanbennett.com/tower_instructions.htm

and finally

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/top ... #msg914848

there are also the necessary calculations to do explained and the drawings that go well in the named pdf

http://www.kkn.net/dayton2005/KE1IH-Dayton-2005.pdf

see you
0 x