Vertical wind turbulence on house?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
val56
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Vertical wind turbulence on house?

by val56 » 03/02/12, 22:57

Hello,

I am thinking more and more about installing a vertical axis wind turbine on my house ('best compromise, finance, neighbor, vegetation).
My biggest concern is the fear of having a rolling noise in the house with the annoyance.

Are there any of you who can tell me about their experiences?

Thank you in advance

Val56
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/03/12, 01:39

the main problem with a wind turbine on the roof is that it does not produce much because in too much turbulance

to have a good wind that produces energy you have to put the wind turbine at a height at least twice the height of the house ... with a mast of such height we will no longer hear the noise or vibration
0 x
vinzman
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vinzman » 12/03/12, 02:00

Hello,
one of the main difficulties with vertical wind turbines is balancing the rotor. That means that if the person who built it, did not have his parts made by a machine shop and that he did not swing it after having screwed the slightest screw, you will inevitably hear a vibration and it goes in addition, even by putting block cylinders, prematurely degrading all that will have served as an anchor for the wind turbine.
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 12/03/12, 20:00

In addition to what has been said before, I would say that a vertical wind turbine has only 30% maximum output, or a wind turbine with a horizontal axis will have 70% maximum.

Balance sheet keep your money it will save you both your money, but also your hair, your nerves and your time :) , in fact it is very beneficial in this case.

Or then invested in thermal solar that will heat your DHW and there you will have a real gain :) , with no nuisance for the neighbors or for you :) .

see you
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/03/12, 20:07

I confirm in another way

the apparent advantage of a vertical axis wind turbine is to rotate slowly: one would therefore believe that it will vibrate less

alas it must be much bigger to make the same power

bigger therefore heavier: therefore producer of larger vibration if it is not perfectly balanced
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/03/12, 10:59

I also have this fear that it will be broum-broum, ways dryer tumble., Not to mention the problems related to the anchoring structure
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 13/03/12, 15:58

boom boom, and badaboomboom

I redi my little story of vertical wind turbine which has cut its mast of 12 cm in diameter and 5 mm thick, it never rotated so to speak (acr very badly positioned), it just rotated from time to time at low speed .
This low speed was sufficient to move the guyed mast, due to the poor balance, suddenly the guy wires were replaced by scrap tubes.
One evening when the wind was blowing hard and in the right direction for the wind turbine it turned I passed in front of it was turning quickly and we saw it move (the mast was bending due to unbalance), when I returned 2 or 3 hours after it was exploded on the ground a few 2 or 3 M from the mast, and the mast cut clean above the hook of the tubes replace the shrouds.

So there is a risk of boomboom but also badaboomboom and therefore the hypothetical economy will turn into holes in the roof and I do not prefer to think of the risk of bodily injury that it could cause.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/03/12, 16:39

this is why I prefer the classic wind turbine with a horizontal axis ... it seems more complicated in terms of the number of parts, but the better performance makes it possible to make a smaller propeller lighter, more easily achievable with precision than a large one thing

then we can make the mast much more solid than the propeller to be sure that it does not fall
0 x