Gwindoline, the barrel wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Clad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Gwindoline, the barrel wind turbine

by Clad » 14/01/12, 19:27

Hello econologists!

I am trying to tinker (especially for that) a wind turbine with lower cost recovery as many do ...

I think some of you have already seen this 2011 autocad animation of the design / manufacture of a wind turbine from a drum of 200 L (more or less) in sheet metal.

I put you the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSiXgqHiv7I

- I want to take the concept back to 100%, I have already started to assemble the parts, I still miss the pulley + belt washing machine.

- I also have 2 generators: a 12v 105A auto alternator and a 12v auto radiator fan motor.

Although the video is well made, I would like your feedback on this wind turbine.

In the idea, I want to use the DC motor for the excitation of the alternator, the 2 generators would be fixed on the same pulley.

To you
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 14/01/12, 21:17

Very serious work, with recovery, but they do not say the power of the can turning in the wind, quite weak, except very strong wind. (see output of this type of wind turbine elsewhere on econology and google)
Do not put alternator or dynamo too strong, especially if you want to run at low wind, and especially choose with low starting torque ..
alternator 12V 105A not possible 1KW. with this wind turbine, except in a cyclone, or a huge can.
The fan generator will give a little low wind.

Unless changing the generator according to the wind, with a lever pressing one or the other on the belt.
Do not mount them on the same axis because the torque to start the powerful alternator, will block the wind turbine as long as the wind will not reach 100km / h where wind roughly exerts force 100Kg / m2.
But the blades undergo this force (see exactly their surface to calculate), but as many have an opposite force in a slightly different direction, related to the low lift of the blades, but there is not much of these 100Kg / m2, a few kilos max, in my opinion, at 100Km / h of wind, and this force decreases as the square of the wind speed (so 10km / h of usual weak wind, 100 times less is a few tens of grams) and the power as the cube (because the speed of rotation decreases as the wind speed), or about the Watt at 10Km / h wind.
In average wind 36Km / h can reach 50W about ??? to fix ideas, with a tin of about 1m2 wind section ??
Finally, at each wind speed, it is necessary to control the current used to extract the maximum possible power, with rotation neither too fast nor too slow.

I hope, for you, that I underestimate a little, the power of this wind turbine.
0 x
Clad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Clad » 15/01/12, 01:29

Thank you dedeleco for your clarification,

Here is one of the comments of the designer:

"We used an old alternator from a Simca 1000. We assume a useable power of min. 200W in winds about 15-20mph. Our idea has two goals. At first it is a drawing sample in a new AutoCAD 2011 training-video. These videos will be seen millions of times all over the world. This chance is us our second goal. We found that it's very easy to build and the materials can be found on auto graveyards all over the world. We hope that lots of people will use this construction and build their own Gwindoline. "

I did not have the idea to use the potential of my alternator 105 A, I'm aware that it is oversized, that's why I thought to add an excitation unrelated to the battery and Progressive through the DC motor, but I do not know if we can do a variable excitation as well.

Thank you
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/01/12, 02:13

It is necessary to measure in reality, the starting torque, at zero excitation, with the remanent magnetization, of departure. If too strong for the weak wind, then impossible to do something with weak excitation.
But even with strong excitation, if the starting torque is not excessive, we can adjust the power and torque associated with the value of the current flow, which at low speed must be associated with too low voltage, it proportional to the excitation current.
It is necessary to measure the characteristics of the specific alternator, which giving 12V at excitation maximum, at a certain minimum speed of the engine to charge, probably at 1500 at 2000 revolutions / minute, will never give 12V at low excitation current, with low magnetization ,.

So I think probably, at low speed, decrease the excitation current will not give much.
The no-load voltage is proportional to the excitation current multiplied by the speed of rotation and therefore not adapted to a wind turbine, if too slow and not powerful enough, with not enough force at startup:
read:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... section=11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9n%C ... 9lectrique
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_synchrone
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."