Search witnesses living next to a wind farm

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Kigralin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Search witnesses living next to a wind farm

by Kigralin » 08/11/11, 18:03

Hello,

I am coming to you to try to obtain testimonies from residents living near an industrial wind farm.

Looking for a house in the countryside, my friend and I fell in love with a renovated farm in a typical Lorraine village. The surroundings are hilly and there are fields, meadows and forests. In short, a beautiful place.
The only problem is that a wind farm is planned around the village, the closest to these windmills to be located 500m from the first homes.

Suddenly, we hesitate because a little afraid of possible inconvenience in terms of noise.

So I'm looking for testimonials from people living every day around these kind of parks to find out a little more.
Small clarification: hours of research on the internet and reading subjects have hardly advanced me in this hunt for information, the subject invariably becoming a bad competition between pro-wind and anti-wind which have never lived close to these parks. To those, thank you for going your way.

Thank you in advance
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/11, 19:36

Hello,

I am not a direct witness neither pro nor anti wind (but rather on the side of the pro all the same) and here is my opinion ...

At 500m it's less noise than the visual that will disturb you!
Here are some figures for "wind decibels": https://www.econologie.com/forums/les-eolien ... vt209.html

The sound pressure level decreases with distance. The further away from the source, the lower the perceived noise (which is valid for any sound source)
at 10 m of the source, the sound level loses 30 dbA
at 20 m of the source, the sound level loses 35 dbA
at 30 m of the source, the sound level loses 40 dbA
at 100 m of the source, the sound level loses 50dbA

Here is a small table of the sound level of a wind turbine according to the wind speed

Wind speed (km / h) / Ambient sound level (dB (A))
18 / 38
25 / 41
32 / 45
40 / 49
47 / 53
54 / 56

And after ? : the sound level of a wind turbine stabilizes when the wind reaches a certain speed. Beyond this speed, the sound level of the wind continues to increase while that of the wind turbine remains stable. The wind noise then covers that of the wind turbine.

The decibel scale is used to position a certain number of known noise emissions in relation to the average noise emitted by a wind turbine located at a distance of 250 m
10 dB falling leaves
15 dB whispers
30 dB Interior of a bedroom
40 dB wind turbine
50 dB Interior of a house
70dB Office
80dB Interior of a car
90 dB Stereo Music
100 dB Interior of a factory
120 dB Jackhammer
150 dB Jet aircraft

What happens when there are several wind turbines?
The increase of the sound level is in no way proportional but logarithmic. This means that the presence of two identical sound sources does not lead to a doubling of the perception of the loudness. Thus a person placed at an equal distance of two identical sound sources will perceive an increase in the auditory level of 3dB. Four identical sources will increase the level of 6dB.

So at 500m you will probably have 4 to 5 dB more max ... either ... nothing audible ...

However, I don't know the impact of a wind farm on property value and there, the question deserves to be debated, figures in support! It must be very subjective ...

If not already done, you can also and still see the big topic: https://www.econologie.com/forums/eolien-pou ... t1613.html

ps: little-known advantage of a wind farm near you, no plane or ULM will bother you anymore at low altitude! : Cheesy:
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 08/11/11, 20:14

My I think it is better to live 500m from a wind farm rather than at the edge of a national road (I currently live next to a national road ...) and even that we end by getting used to it (double glazing helps well)
Now it can be a good excuse to negotiate the price a bit and get a good deal.

But to get a good idea for yourself before, the easiest way is to go to a wind farm already in service. In eastern France this is not what is missing!
That way you will have the heart of it.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/11, 20:16

Yep, and to take the test well: you pitch your tent at 500m for one night :) (without double glazing the tent eh : Cheesy: )
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/11/11, 21:11

Be careful, it all depends on the wind turbine because there are very noisy wind turbines like those installed in Cap Corse, we hear them several kilometers away! And there are very silent wind turbines like those of the Bouin wind farm in Vendée, much larger however, which make very very little noise despite their 85 m in diameter and their 2,5 MW.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/11/11, 00:07

Completely agree with Forhorse, national roads and motorways are much more annoying in noise (and dramatically worse, in dangerous pollution) at 500m or even 1 to 2 km depending on the terrain configuration !!

The double glazing enormously cuts the noise to the point of living a few tens of meters near streets or roads, like a lot of people, while this pollution in particles in the air kills within 300m !!!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Search for witnesses living next to a wind farm

by Obamot » 09/11/11, 08:33

When we told you that wind power was dangerous:

Kigralin wrote:Research living witnessess next to a wind farm

... difficult to find dead witnesses, they could hardly confirm ....

( : Mrgreen: ) Would he miss a "S" and a comma somewhere ...?
Last edited by Obamot the 09 / 11 / 11, 08: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Search for witnesses living next to a wind farm

by Cuicui » 09/11/11, 08:39

Obamot wrote:When we told you that wind power was dangerous:
Kigralin wrote:Research living witnessess next to a wind farm
... difficult to find dead witnesses, they could hardly confirm ....
( : Mrgreen: ) Would he miss a "S" and a comma somewhere ...?

The meaning: looking for witnesses living next to a wind farm (a verb, not an adjective). But hey, I guess everyone understands.
0 x
manet42
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by manet42 » 09/11/11, 08:54

A little before BLAMONT (54) there is a wind farm in service, go see and listen to the noise at 500m.
Good argument to lower the price!
In the Canaries, I visited a very large park, indeed, bordering, but I lived near a railway in my youth after a few weeks: good sleep.
0 x
Continually trying we finally succeed. So more it fails, the more likely it is that it works.
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/11/11, 09:31

Leo Maximus wrote:Be careful, it all depends on the wind turbine because there are very noisy wind turbines like those installed in Cap Corse, we hear them several kilometers away! And there are very silent wind turbines like those of the Bouin wind farm in Vendée, much larger however, which make very very little noise despite their 85 m in diameter and their 2,5 MW.

Those of Cap Corse are, to my knowledge, already 20 years old ... I believe that the project dates from 1991 ... to be checked.

I passed there several times and the noise did not shock me ... (at least from the D80), in Bouin I also passed and I was there at the foot of the wind turbines and there we can hear a kind of "alternative whistle" ... which, even in a tent pitched at the foot of the wind turbine, one could get used to quite quickly I think ...

Cuicui wrote:The meaning: looking for witnesses living next to a wind farm (a verb, not an adjective). But hey, I guess everyone understands.

+1
0 x