Question about angular servo

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Question about angular servo

by ojal » 04/05/11, 17:47

Hello,

I am starting a first model of solar tracker.

For the moment, I would like to make it simple and enslave only a single axis in rotation to make an overall east-west tracking ... We will add a second axis then ...
The sensor is a set of 2 LEDs that produce an electrical voltage depending on their alignment with the sun. the 2 leds will have an angular spacing to define.

I have old memories of servo lessons where we did PID servo with calculations of transfer and company functions ...
I am crazy to see what I could swallow and not retain anything ... The TPs were so nothing concrete .... Finally it is another story ...
I can no longer bring my 'knowledge' back to my current need ...

With my current knowledge, I plan to use a small electronic development platform - ARDUINO - which allows me to position a servomotor at a given angle and which also allows me to measure the voltages across my 2 sensors.
I must therefore arrive at determining the position which gives a voltage equivalent to x% near on the 2 leds.
My algorithm will therefore be simple. Increase the angle if the voltage of led 1 is greater than led 2 and vice versa until the difference between the 2 voltages is within the tolerance which will be defined ...

Is it as simple as I expect or have I not seen certain difficulties?

If you have good ideas I am very interested ;-)

I should attack tomorrow at the reception of the much awaited ARDUINO ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/05/11, 17:55

As long as the movement is slow, yes, that will be enough.

We can even do it in analog electronics, with a simple comparator whose output turns the motor in one direction or the other :P
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 04/05/11, 18:10

I also think it should be enough.
After if really necessary, the implementation of a PID is not excessively complicated. I did it for my wind turbine controller and despite never having studied the thing, I got there without any particular difficulty (it comes down to a few basic operations)

Doing everything in analog is good, and it's simpler. But if we want to add certain functions it quickly becomes a hassle (like going back to the east at the end of the day ...)
I've never tried Arduino, but I only hear good things about it, so it seems like a good base.
0 x
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 04/05/11, 19:34

With ADRUINO, I will also acquire parameters such as temperatures etc ... I think it will be nice ... ;-)
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 04/05/11, 22:34

There is indeed something to have fun! hours of headaches in perspective : Cheesy:
0 x