Economic comparison electric heating and wood burning stove

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
nathic
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Economic comparison electric heating and wood burning stove

by nathic » 22/11/09, 10:49

Hello everyone,

I live in a house heated with electric radiant panels.
I can get help from the region if I carry out work improving my energy performance by 40%.
for that I have to carry out an energy audit for a cost of 150 euros.
I would like to put a wood stove but I do not know if this will allow me to reach the 40% improvement requested.
if I consider that the electricity has a cost of 0.11 euro / kwh and the wood 0,03 euros / kwh, that gives 72% of improvement.
the stove can only heat 68% of my house (the stove is upstairs and I have rooms on the ground floor)
so a 49% improvement ????

it seems correct to you.
I saw examples of calculation without the detail and the improvement is weaker but I do not know why ???
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/09, 11:08

Uh I don't think we can think in pure economic terms ...

Your 0.03 € per kWh wood is already correct: one cubic meter is roughly 2000 kWh RAW, sold let's say 50 €, with an average output of a wood stove it is 75% which gives 3.3 cts € per useful kWh .

But the 40% requested are in Primary Energy, EP.

So you have to multiply by 2.58 each kWh electric saved.

Fictitious concrete example:

Before: 8000 kWh electric heating = 8000 * 2.58 = 20 640 kWh EP

After: let's say you make a contribution to the wood of 4 steres.
4 stere = 2000 * 4 * 0.75 = 6 kWh useful = 000 kWh EP

Electrical supplement = 8000 - 6000 = 2000 kWh = 5160 kWh EP

Total invoice in EP:

Before: 20 kWh EP
After: 8000 + 5160 = 13 160 kWH EP

Gains on the EP = 36% it is low but the electric heating weighs down enormously the "after".

I think you will more easily gain these 40% by improving the insulation!

ps: you really can not put the stove down?
0 x
nathic
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by nathic » 23/11/09, 19:45

Thank you for your answer.

small question after your calculation, the conversion coefficient of electrical energy into primary energy is 2,58 and for wood it is 1.33 ???

regarding the insulation of my house I agree in principle.
the solution would be to insulate from the outside because I have a lot of thermal bridge (slab, cross wall ...) but the cost is disproportionate (around 20000 euros). I don't have the funds and the return on investment is too far away.

thanks again
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 13/12/09, 23:31

Hello,

Personally, I would prioritize a solar water heater, with vacuum collectors, like:
http://www.bricodepot.fr/lempdes-clermo ... au-solaire
or
http://www.bysun.fr/panneau-solaire-smax.html

Because the economy is is all year round for hot water.

Then, a pellet stove with a water circuit that can serve as backup, but below, because the heat will naturally rise in the rooms.

And possibly a double flow ventilation, it's directly a big saving.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a double-flow ventilation that can heat the incoming air with smoke from an outlet stove (in a separate and sealed circuit of course!)?
0 x
See you soon !