Home lighting: 12v or 220v ???

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Home lighting: 12v or 220v ???

by paotop » 08/02/07, 15:07

everything is in the title...

what is the difference in performance between a 12v and 220v compact fluorescent bulb?
as the circuits are separated in not too old dwellings, wouldn't it be wise (and simple) to switch the lighting circuit from 220v to 12v via battery and photovoltaic or eoli (?) of course ...

with the arrival of efficient and low-consumption LED products .... : Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/07, 15:11

The subject has already been mentioned, have you used the internal search engine?

https://www.econologie.com/forums/search.php
0 x
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by paotop » 08/02/07, 15:34

oops .... : Oops:

definitely not my day.

the subject you cited was quickly folded and went live with the washing machines, EDF counters etc ...

I just thought that the 12v lighting equipment is popularized, it is reliable, more and more affordable and with the arrival of LED bulbs more and more efficient, this could be an easy option to achieve (and at lower cost ) on any pavilion by recharging a battery with a small wind turbine or a solar panel.

but hey, I say a lot of bullshit too so .... : Lol:
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 08/02/07, 16:29

Hello,
this is the method used in chalets far from civilization, for lighting and for operating the CB radio
we must group the consumption not far from the battery
after 10 meters in a row, the 12 volts easily drops to 10 volts if the consumption is high and the wire not big enough.
Not very convenient in a domestic house, most of the devices work in AC sector.

Andre
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 08/02/07, 16:57

I also actually think that, given the line losses (100 watts, it already has a lot of amps under 12 V - 8,5, I think) it is more profitable to convert to 220 V.
The risk of fire is much less too and you can put an ordinary distribution board and thinner cables, easier to place discreetly (eh ho, it is not because it is solar that you are exempt from respect the electrical regulations. Earth must also be installed!)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 08/02/07, 21:51

:? a friend built a wooden house and did not want to be connected to the EDF network. He pulled 220V lines for the power current (washing machine), the rest works at 12V; LED lighting, TV ...
It does have a "Chinese" 220 converter but its mediocre efficiency pumps the batteries in less than 2.

I find it rather good to have a network in 12V DC without transformer, without converter ... Certainly, there are losses by Joule effect, but the total output must not be lower than that of a current DC converted in AC with the purchase economy of the converter. There are many economic converters (~ 50 €) but their yield is around 50% and the current is quite badly rectified with big risks for electronic devices (TV, PC ...)
There are also very efficient "pure sine" converters (efficiency> 95%) but their prices are generally> 700 €.
So direct 12Vdc seems rational and economical to me ... :D
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 09/02/07, 01:46

Hello,

I have a few 12V halogen bulbs which work on 220 -> 12V transformers (this is what was done 15/20 years ago).

What do you think about the consumer level? can I replace my low voltage halogen lamps with LEDS without changing the transformer? I think so....??
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Get up
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Get up » 07/03/07, 12:01

Hello everybody

Here I discovered your site because I just bought a house and the lighting of it is exclusively in Halogen.
So I decided to replace most (see all) of these Halogens with CFLs and LEDs.
Only these are the places where I would have wanted to put CFLs are in gu5.3 and I have only 4 soquet gu10. I would have liked to know if there were fluocompact gu5.3 and also to know if it is not better to change tt but base 5.3 + transformer by gu10.
In short I really want to make these changes because I have more than 50 halogen at home so ok it's beautiful but good.
I buy 7w flucompacte and leds 1,3 w in GU10 and I am satisfied with the result that it could give so here I await your opinion.
And congratulations for this site and this forum which will become a reference for me soon.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 07/03/07, 12:35

In short I really want to make these changes because I have more than 50 halogen at home so ok it's beautiful but good

What consumes a lot are halogens in 150 or 300 watts. I have some at home that are not used much and I can not change them because "aesthetic" chosen by my wife !!!

I have low voltage halogen (12 volts) with transformer (you only need to power the transformer when you turn on, which is not the case on some desk or bedside lamps, because the switch is placed after the transformer; it doesn't consume a lot, so if you have some you can leave them in my opinion.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Get up
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Get up » 07/03/07, 14:58

Thank you for your answer in fact I would have to check how many W develops all my halogen. But GU10 these are 50 W for the others it seems to vary finally I especially saw 20 W but it takes you very soon to check. What bothers me a bit is that I would no longer know what to do with all the transformers that are connected to my lamps.
0 x