Facade and solar greenhouse

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
vincent27
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Facade and solar greenhouse

by vincent27 » 20/01/07, 10:44

Hello,

We are embarking on the construction of a "low environmental impact" house.
A friend, architect, offered us a very attractive pre-project.
Several questions arise, however:

1 - The south facade is partially composed of a greenhouse ensuring direct heating of the house. It extends vertically over 2 levels + attic.
Does anyone have experience with the creation and maintenance of such a glazed surface.

2 - The NO wall is made of straw (insulation + permeability) and a central wall (stone, etc.) cutting the house in 2 provides thermal inertia. Do you have feedback on mass fireplaces and stoves?

We look forward to seeing you!
0 x
Christophe

Re: Facade and solar greenhouse

by Christophe » 20/01/07, 11:34

vincent27 wrote:2 - The NO wall is made of straw (insulation + permeability) and a central wall (stone, etc.) cutting the house in 2 provides thermal inertia. Do you have feedback on mass fireplaces and stoves?

No idea for your 1)

On the other hand, for 2) subjects already exist:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/quel-type- ... t2682.html
et
https://www.econologie.com/forums/chauffage- ... 55-20.html

(at least)
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 20/01/07, 11:36

Hi Vincent.
Bravo for this initiative. Personally, I would like you to give us a full description of your project, at least as far as design is concerned, because straw alliance, glass surface, all that interests me bcq, bcq.

To answer your questions :
1- the realization must be able to be done by a manufacturer of verandas, but perhaps you wanted to speak about the choice of the material? pvc, wood or aluminum. If that's it, for me the best compromise between aesthetics / ecology / maintenance, it's a wooden / aluminum frame. The second choice would go to wood, but must be well protected from bad weather, UV and rain in the south (see the last gale in Europe). Research the forum with the word windows. For glazing, what does your architect recommend: double or triple glazing? There are also "self-cleaning" windows that do not "catch" dirt, that can be interesting.

2- mass fireplaces and stoves: there's a lot to read on the forum, do some research. But one thing is certain, mass stoves satisfy their users, large thermal inertia. The only problem may be to have to relight the fire each time, as the interval between wood loadings are spaced. But I don't have enough info on it.
You say your NO wall is made of straw. With wooden frame? and how are your other walls made?
0 x
vincent27
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vincent27 » 20/01/07, 12:19

Thank you for your answers.

The house will be a priori in wooden frame.
The wall exposed to the weather is made of straw and raw earth.
The other walls are made of wood.
We are still only at the volume, organization, exposure and integration into the environment. I don't have construction details yet, but I'm documenting myself.
Also, we will use a Canadian / provencal well, with a double flow VMC.
The mass stove is apparently a good choice, remains to be defined if it is integrated into the inertia wall or sion places it in front.
I will try to keep you informed of the techniques used.
0 x
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 23/01/07, 09:27

Hello,

Well done for your project, you seem to be taking things in the right order.

Just 2 small questions about your project:

° What material (s) are you considering for insulation? And how are you going to insulate the roof with part of the glass roof space. (Finally if I understood correctly : Lol: )

° Are you considering rainwater harvesting in your project?

Good continuation.
0 x
vincent27
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vincent27 » 23/01/07, 09:35

1 - The glazed part is not in the attic, but one is a greenhouse in front of the gable of the house. As for insulation, nothing has yet been defined.

2 - Rainwater will be stored above, in the inertia wall, to take advantage of this mass as thermal inertia.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 23/01/07, 14:40

Hi, and congratulations on getting started with what a lot of contributors to this forum hope to be able to one day.

I just have one question: has your architect (or you) planned "masks" (blinds OUTDOORS removable, deciduous vegetation, caps, ...) to protect your veranda from the sun during the summer? This is a very important element so as not to transform it into an oven during the summer.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
vincent27
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vincent27 » 23/01/07, 14:51

We have provided leafy vegetation (Virginia creeper, jasmine, wisteria ...) + wooden slats oriented at thirty and some degrees.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 23/01/07, 15:07

vincent27 wrote:We have provided leafy vegetation (Virginia creeper, jasmine, wisteria ...)

In addition it is beautiful and it smells good ... [/ feminine consideration]
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 23/01/07, 16:05

Christine wrote:
vincent27 wrote:We have provided leafy vegetation (Virginia creeper, jasmine, wisteria ...)

In addition it is beautiful and it smells good ...

Christine: a few grams of finesse in a world of brutes : Lol:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"