Bioclimatic house: some basic concepts

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Bioclimatic house: some basic concepts

by Targol » 04/09/06, 10:45

First of all, each bioclimatic house must be studied precisely in relation to its environment (prevailing winds, average temperature and rainfall, sunshine).

Thus, a house located in an area where the prevailing wind comes from the south will have to take this element into account in its implementation.

Nevertheless, and despite these adaptations necessary for implantation, we can synthesize some main principles of the bioclimatic house.

• orientation A bioclimatic house should not be oriented according to the view, the movement of cars (garage opposite the road) but many climatic elements. Thus, we will arrange to place the living rooms (Lounges, bedrooms) in the South and the unheated technical rooms (garage, laundry room) in the North to serve as a thermal buffer between the outside and the living rooms. As far as possible, no openings will be drilled on the north facade of the house.
  • passive solar A bioclimatic house must get the maximum energy from its environment and this by doing without technical devices that consume energy themselves, can break down ...
    One of the pillars of the bioclimatic is therefore passive solar. This results in large glazed openings to the south (or even south-east or south-west depending on the prevailing winds in order to recover the morning or late afternoon sun). These glazed areas to the south will obviously be supplemented by a system outside allowing to hide the sun in summer (an interior blind does nothing to prevent the greenhouse effect).
    These devices can be fixed architectural elements (caps) or mobile (shutters, external blinds) or vegetation (deciduous tree planted south of the house, deciduous climbing plants that run on a horizontal fence above the Bay window.
    The other elements of passive solar are the torn wall, solar storage devices (see inertia).
  • isolation It goes without saying, a house tending towards energy autonomy must be perfectly insulated. In this regard, we prefer an exterior insulation to an interior insulation in order to take maximum advantage of the thermal inertia of the walls (see the paragraph "inertia"). An economical and very efficient solution is, for example, a semi-troglodyte house for which the entire north wall is covered by backfill which is extended by a green roof.
  • thermal inertia One of the elements that is very often forgotten in construction today is thermal inertia. Thus, if you take a standard subdivision pavilion with its interior insulation and its convectors, the only element of thermal inertia is the ground. This has the effect that only the air is heated (or air conditioned) and that the slightest opening of door or window makes losing all the benefit of this heating (or this air conditioning).
    In an old house with thick walls, without interior insulation, the masonry will act as a buffer. When you open a window in winter, you cool the air but the walls have kept their warmth. Less than 10 minutes after the window was closed, the walls returned some calories to the air which, in fact, returned to its pre-opening temperature.
    If we add to this that the perception of well-being in humans depends for a lot on radiation (we feel better in a room where the air is at 14 ° C and the walls at 24 ° C than air at 24 ° C and walls at 14 ° C), we can see the advantage of providing "thermal buffers" at certain strategic places in the house.
    Solid materials (concrete walls, terracotta or raw, or stone) are excellent thermal buffers. A can filled with water, painted black, placed behind a bay window in the sun will thus accumulate heat during the day and restore it during the night.
    Another method of stamping consists in carrying out, a tornado wall

Be careful, however, for houses that are only inhabited for short periods of the year, it may be in your interest to limit thermal inertia in order to avoid "heating the walls" too much without really benefiting from the heating.

Here is a small synthesis of the basic elements of the bioclimatic. Do not hesitate to point your finger at omissions or inaccuracies.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 04/09/06, 11:09

Hi Targol, I see you created the post

Your thoughts are right, we see that the subject interests you
I come back a little later with complements

Pascal
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 04/09/06, 12:02

Hello,
teak houses (or other hardwood) do not have good characteristics regarding thermal insulation and inertia.
is this a good solution (in the context of forest cultivation dedicated to this exploitation ...) for such a type of house?

cordially
Renaud
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 04/09/06, 14:22

renaud67 wrote:Hello,
teak houses (or other hardwood) do not have good characteristics regarding thermal insulation and inertia.

Hi Renaud.

Timber frame houses have many advantages and notably that of insulation (from the moment that the realization respects certain rules as for the composition of the walls). Their main advantage is the total absence of thermal bridges between the interior and the exterior; wood is a fairly good insulator.

On the other hand, wood has a very low thermal inertia.
As a general rule, we can remember that the more insulating a material, the less thermal inertia it has.

This is why, in this type of house, it is necessary to provide thermal inertia elsewhere than in the exterior envelope.

One can, for example, consider a central "island" of earthen walls (baked or raw) which is used to define the partitions on the ground floor and upstairs and on which we lean an insert system (or other wood stove. ) so as to work in winter on the inertia stove system. In summer, these earthen partitions will keep the interior cool even if the windows are opened.

Moreover, this thermal inertia system by interior partitions adapts to any construction for which the external envelope does not have one (yurt, house in straw bales ...).

As for the type of wood to use, rather than using exotic wood (even from "ethical" operations as you point out), Chataîgner, a species that is very present in our regions has excellent characteristics against mold and insects.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 04/09/06, 15:42

Thank you for your answer,
I am just starting to find out, on the little that I have read, it "is said" that non-rot-proof essences can be treated on the surface or in the heart ... this chemical side bothers me.
I hold the chestnut, I leave a living above the stove and presto the hot chestnuts !!
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 04/09/06, 16:19

We can actually treat any essence to improve its resistance to external aggressions.
This type of treatment is the one used for almost all "garden equipment" type wood for terraces, gratings, "garden partitions" in woven wood, wood for verandas, etc ...
It is this type of treatment which gives a greenish coloration to the woods thus treated.

It is an autoclave treatment: the wood is heated under pressure in an atmosphere saturated with a solution aimed at helping it to resist fungi and xylophages.

This type of technique has the advantage of treating the wood thoroughly, but it has at least 2 major drawbacks:
  • the autoclave treatment is very energy intensive: heating a large "pressure cooker" containing beams or boards is not trivial in terms of energy consumption.
  • the treatment products themselves are not safe. Thus, some autoclave treatments are carried out based on arsenic salts or other similar products of the same kind.
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 04/09/06, 18:05

a geobiologist can indicate the harmful places (telururic waves, passage of water, electric line ...) and how to orient the building, a mixture of feng shui / magetiser. All that for health, but the one that I was recommended (6 years ago) prent 550 €, that makes you think! I found his site (the 1st that goes out with gogol) I hesitate; arnac or not? who knows? , who had the experience?
0 x
bioman14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bioman14 » 05/09/06, 00:08

for all questions on houses with wooden or solid frame, bioclimatic, low consumption dnrj or passive, the forum of the site "maison et bois international" is THE gold mine of information.

I even suggest to the boss of the site to put the link in post it at the top of the forum natural / ecological habitat.

they have already returned the bps in all directions, the answers are already there.
and if the answer you are looking for is not found, there will be a gigantic brainstorming to invent it.
0 x
if I say something stupid, tell me, but kindly and politely.