How to do: Green roof for a hut?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

How to do: Green roof for a hut?

by Forhorse » 31/07/19, 23:05

Hello,

I am rebuilding a box for my horse because after several years of service the construction in question begins seriously to blame the weight of the years.
It was a temporary construction so the roof was made of "Onduline" (cardboard impregnated with bitumen) but after almost 15 years of exposure to bad weather and the sun the panels tore into pieces.
I do not want to put the same thing and I would also like to avoid steel-type sheets. I tell myself that a green roof would not hurt because it would bring in addition some thermal and sound insulation (the rain on the plate that makes a noise that is quickly tiring)
But I do not really know how to do that so it's not too expensive and relatively durable.

I thought to take a pond cover laid on OSB panels but those in EPDM but it costs an arm. Would those made of PVC be adapted? and above all would hold long enough (kind 10 to 15 years)
And then what to put on top of the tarpaulin to vegetate? Knowing that I will keep the current slope of about 6 °
If you have ideas, sites, tutorials ... I take it.
Thank you
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to: Green roof for a hut?

by eclectron » 02/08/19, 08:48

EPDM is more resistant, as it remains flexible, unlike PVC that can dry and become brittle, on a good shock, all the same.
Found on PVC tank cover that has been sunshine for years.
On a green roof the tarpaulin should not see the sun so the pb is may be nonexistent.

Also the EPDM makes it possible to recover a food water contrary to the PVC.
The water leaving the green roof remains in any case considered polluted not having crossed the substrate of the plants.

https://www.truffaut.com/webtv/jardin/v ... eo/153.htm
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
Did67

by Did67 » 02/08/19, 09:46

First pay attention to the weight (once wet!) !!! Some calculations are necessary. This is surprising. 20 cm of soil thickness is an order of magnitude of 250 kg for 1 m². You add the water that it can contain, it is still 75 kg ... All this to the ladle to say that it is not something to take ... lightly!

Unless you make a mastoc construction, you will have to make a "light revegetation": like 20 cm of pozzolanas (porous volcanic lava) ... Wet, it already weighs a lot, reduced to the m²!

In the summer, this kind of light support, necessarily exposed in full sun, it will dry up serious (even without heat wave!). There are kinds of honeycomb plates that can make small water reserves, while retaining the growing medium on slopes ... But even!

And therefore only certain plants will survive: essentially sedums and houseleeks (Sempervivum - the name says everything); maybe some grasses ...

Under the medium of culture, whatever it is, in fact, it will be protected from UV and is unlikely to be damaged as does a tarp exposed to the sun.

The excess water that can be collected, I do not see why it would not be usable to water! Of course, it will not be drinkable, like any water that stagnates ...
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 02/08/19, 11:18

PVC must release molecules not top for health.

Personally, since I think for a cabin that I will have to consolidate anyway, I thought to put pozzolan only, the least thick possible (5 has 10cm ???) and sedums etc .. that resist almost everything .
can be a little soil all the same but very little, because of the weight.

By tale I would put EPDM because I get water for the garden (in PVC garden cans? : Lol: that I already have)
0 x
whatever.
Did67

by Did67 » 02/08/19, 11:30

eclectron wrote:... (in PVC garden cans? : Lol: that I already have)

I think it's more PE (a different kind of poly-ethylene), very neutral (it's the plastic bottles!).

The EP also constitutes all modern drinking water networks, outside and in homes.

Even PVC, once installed and after releasing its solvents, is quite neutral (it does not emerge eternally, otherwise, it would perforate!): It is its destruction that is a wound (especially if you burn).
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 02/08/19, 19:35

I do not reclaim water (for that I already have the roof of the house) so no problem on that side.
The weight worries me a little against yes, I will strengthen the existing framework because in the current state it would not support, and I will limit the thickness of the substrate (20cm it would clearly not pass!) It really to try something else level roofing, plus an experience that can afford to fail that a will to make a real green roof with the plants that are going well and all ...
In fact I do not even know if I will plant this roof; I think more or less let nature do it. At worst sow some grass of a variety known to resist drought and see what happens.
The blister packs and pozzolana (or clay balls) seem to be a good idea, to see according to the budget.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/08/19, 12:12

Indeed, spontaneous revegetation can take place "naturally". But the most "interesting" plants are not necessarily present within a sufficient radius of action!

Hence the interest of picking this or that sedum (orpin). Or this or that sempervivum ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/08/19, 21:49

A priori one can find quite easily on the net several varieties of sedum or mixtures of it for a reasonable price. Maybe I'll crash a little. And then I can see that with the owner of the garden center in my "street" he must be able to provide me with this ...
Today I bought the wood to reinforce the framework and the plates of osb for the roof, considering the sum that it cost me (and considering what I still have to invest to finalize this roofing) I no longer a few buckets of plants close!
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 04/08/19, 06:51

One of my questions would be that sedums could survive in 5 6 cm of pozzolan with a little soil? (Just history that it is not only mineral and that it retains a little moisture)
0 x
whatever.

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"