Eat meat, what impact on the planet?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.

could you watch the video to the end?

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
sam17
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Eat meat, what impact on the planet?

by sam17 » 22/11/07, 21:55

In fact I came across a video that moved me and made me think today.

This is a very tough video about how the human race deals with the animal world, with a fairly large part about the food industry.

This is a very hard documentary, so I recommend to sensible souls caution. I'm not someone who can be easily impressed, but I admit that this is the kind of video that may leave traces. In short, you are forewarned.

http://bellaciao.org/fr/article.php3?id_article=43583

Having taken a step back on the issue, I still feel that the director seeks to show the worst aspects of things. But even keeping to the minimum, it remains disturbing.

I had already stopped eating fish by becoming aware of how one emptied the seas ... I begin to ask myself the question of becoming a vegetarian. What is certain is that even if I already preferred to eat less meat to buy more expensive and better quality, this will now become an absolute rule.

In short, you see the video and tell me what you think.

Courage, really.
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 22/12/07, 14:43

It is obvious that unsustainable agriculture is one of the biggest causes of pollution.

- Biggest consumer of fossil fuels
- Destroys surrounding ecosystems: few agrosystems have limited impact
- Land depletion (no one knows how to make a rotation worthy of the name)
- Discharge of CH4 by the farms
- Non valorization of livestock effluents
(...)

=> Battery farming is a heresy in terms of environmental impact, quality of the meat obtained, and economy (problems of margins, etc.).

Intensive fishing poses problems of impoverishment of the seas, and the pollution of these same seas makes the caught fish little consumable (especially at the top of the food chain).

The slaughter / processing workshops are an important source of water pollution, major consumers of energy ... And I do not suggest you to visit if you want to continue to consume meat.

Vegetarianism is not an obvious thing to handle ...

But one thing is certain: the planet is overpopulated and can not feed everyone.

Perhaps the priority is to curb this inflation?

(Sorry for this post a bit messy).
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 22/12/07, 17:15

there is exageration! but it exists! : Evil: I was a driver of bettaillere, I led to the slaughterhouse, entry prohibited to the minor .....
Too many people on earth!
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/12/07, 18:01

Some figures concerning pollution by CO2 equivalent: https://www.econologie.com/viande-co2-et ... -3230.html
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 22/12/07, 18:13

Arthur_64 wrote:Vegetarianism is not an obvious thing to handle ...

But one thing is certain: the planet is overpopulated and can not feed everyone.

It is clear that there are too many humans and in addition too c ... to limit their multiplication when resources decrease (what so-called "inferior" animals quite naturally do)
Vegetarianism (vegans) is a strict heresy (even chimpanzees are homnivorous), on the other hand if we also eat dairy, eggs, etc. .. we arrive at a balanced diet, but it is indeed complicated because the plants are low in protein (Asians have developed fermentation techniques to increase their concentration) ... and we are so made that we can not synthesize proteins like herbivorous animals ...
Personally, it has been a long time since I understood that if we wanted animals to be raised and treated correctly and not to be just "things" to be made from proteins, we must pay the price (red label, organic, etc ...), and limit its consumption by alternating with vegetarian "steaks" as we find today (it is sometimes downright foul: you have to sort out ...)
I knew a very sporty man who was vegetarian ~ since his 20ans and who died at 88ans after sailing in all seas (Marcel Bardiaux): I met him in St Nazaire when he returned from Quebec and I would be happy to have his form at this age (if I can ...)
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 22/12/07, 18:48

Christophe wrote:Some figures concerning pollution by CO2 equivalent: https://www.econologie.com/viande-co2-et ... -3230.html

It suits me, I was gone to do this calculation ...

I will be able to rest: p
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/12/07, 20:05

Ben 2 independent calculations allow to invalidate or confirm figures ... Hop o job !! :D

Otherwise I think these figures come from JM Jancovici: www.manicore.com can the precise method be detailed?
0 x
gilgamesh
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gilgamesh » 23/12/07, 01:12

I am vegetarian (lacto / ovo) since 20 years and I miss nothing. When I go to the doctor and do analise it's perfect and no stolts or anything. The vegetarianism is rather a cultural problem and it can be very stupid to go on a marriage for example and to have nothing to eat and to have fun explaining to the neighbor at the table why one insists on this regime .. There is a lot of delicious vergetarian dish and in general it is precisely the problem that there is too much ignorance on the subject and that we think that we are people who eat only grass ..
0 x
there is no absolute truth in the realm of phenomena

gilgamesh
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 23/12/07, 08:58

Intensive agriculture and especially breeding are not a gift for our good old earth.

Becoming a vegetarian could be a solution, now, if the idea takes you made to advise you by a dietician (do not you fuck in the air either).

Another thing, do not eat rice! This type of culture emits a lot of greenhouse gas !!!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 23/12/07, 14:36

Gregconstruct wrote:
Becoming a vegetarian could be a solution, now, if the idea takes you made to advise you by a dietician (do not you fuck in the air either).

Another thing, do not eat rice! This type of culture emits a lot of greenhouse gas !!!

Well, rice is the basis of the vegetarian diet, complete rice naturally because to feed with white rice is vitamin deficiencies guaranteed in the long term ...
When to "delicious" vegetarian dishes ... there are some, but then it is very rare in canned or prepared dishes or long (and often expensive) to prepare fresh ... when you work and the food must be done in 30 minutes maximum, it is not very easy to manage (preparing in advance destroys the vitamins) ...
0 x