Adapt a motor, pulley and belt on an apple cutter

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Adapt a motor, pulley and belt on an apple cutter

by guibnd » 11/03/22, 21:11

Hello,
I would like to motorize my old apple notcher that I use to make cider. The big wheel is difficult to turn over the years and I would like to maintain this tradition by freeing myself from this difficult stage of crushing apples. Could you advise me on engine power, length and type of belt, and plans for mounting? thank you in advance
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
Remundo

Re: adapting a motor, pulley and belt on an apple notcher

by Remundo » 12/03/22, 07:38

Hello my friend

In your case, I would look for an old washing machine.

The power will be sufficient and the gear ratio adapted. All the parts are there (motor, driving and receiving pulleys) as well as the 220 V connection.

Often washing machines in waste disposal have their mechanics intact, it is rather sensors or plumbing that lead them to waste.
1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 12/03/22, 07:40

the problem with washing machines for 20 years... It's the electronic motor control card that's not easy to control for a novice.
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/03/22, 07:57

should be wired directly if possible. Just ON-OFF.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/03/22, 08:21

Without control by the electronic card, it would seem according to commentators that the motor would race when it is connected directly... Only very old models would be suitable, especially those, like the "Bendix" brand, with a mechanical reduction gear out of a tree...
The power required* must not exceed 1/3 of CV, provided that the reduction is sufficient: either single stage, with a small driving pulley which drives the large wheel (if it is planned and in this case it is generally flat belt), either in two stages, which offers more choice, or a geared motor, which is more compact.
Regarding the type of drive to be preferred, flat pulleys operate with less friction losses, but withstand jerks less well than trapezoidal pulleys which are, for their part, more "torqueous"; to do, therefore, with the constraints of this device.

* A bench drill motor would work well.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 12/03/22, 08:37

not obvious I know because I tried ... the motor is a direct current motor with brushes, the electronic card operates the motor in cycles by reversing the direction of rotation every 10 seconds ... moreover these motors are completely "open" to bad weather... A normal man can generate a power of 0.5hp with a 500 to 1000W AC motor should be comfortable... The whole thing being to be able to gear down. I think that a man on this kind of shredder turns the flywheel at 1 turn/sec so 60 rpm.... An assumption that the steering wheel is 1400m in diameter, the motor pulley should be 24mm in diameter...

By finding an extra slow motor such as 700rpm (but beware of 2-speed motors such as dalender which have ridiculous power at low speed) it would only take a reduction of 10... Easier to achieve but motor less obvious to find , that said, I found a refurbished one for my drill press on leboncoin for a very modest sum (I was extremely lucky)

Our friend needs to give us more info. take a picture of his notch and tell us how fast he spins it, he also has to tell us if he has electricity (mono sorting ???) on the grinding site because it is possible that his cider house is done in the countryside in the middle of the fields and it is no longer the same thing...
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 12/03/22, 08:39

Ahmed wrote:Without control by the electronic card, it would seem according to commentators that the engine would race when it is connected directly...

* A bench drill motor would work well.

Yes for the runaway I also noticed the problem
1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Adapting a motor, pulley and belt on an apple notcher

by Macro » 12/03/22, 08:50

it's really a pity that they are a little light in power...I have in stock two small leroy sommer tri motors for conveyor belts of 0.25hp in 1500rpm equipped with trapezoidal pulley of 45mm inside 65 outside...C would have been at the price of friends
1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 12/03/22, 09:11

I guess his notch looks like this:
ob_fafc21_42295274-10217280421584260-78724204006.jpg
ob_fafc21_42295274-10217280421584260-78724204006.jpg (108.38 KiB) Accessed 4475 time

We see here that it is operated by 2 men so I stay on my first idea at least 1cv ...

If its wheel does not have a flat profile allowing the use of a belt .... The transmission could be done with a rubber roller at the end of the motor shaft ...
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/03/22, 12:06

Macro wrote:it's really a pity that they are a little light in power...I have in stock two small leroy sommer tri motors for conveyor belts of 0.25hp in 1500rpm equipped with trapezoidal pulley of 45mm inside 65 outside...C would have been at the price of friends

250W well geared down, in my opinion is sufficient

the power of a man deliverable over time with the arms is quite ridiculous, perhaps around 100W, and still being optimistic...
1 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"